Page 277 of 641 FirstFirst ... 177227267273274275276277278279280281287327377 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,155 of 9615
  1. #4141
    Extraordinary Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,915

    Default

    Iowa doesn't matter. It is a Caucus of a white, farm State. It works very differently than a regular primary. The only thing it does is causes some low in the polls to drop out.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  2. #4142
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Iowa doesn't matter. It is a Caucus of a white, farm State. It works very differently than a regular primary. The only thing it does is causes some low in the polls to drop out.
    It does matter. It’s huge for donations and building momentum. Obama would not have been President without Iowa

  3. #4143
    Mighty Member SquirrelMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I am curious about the people who will back Sanders in a presidential election, who would not vote for Biden.

    Who are the Sanders voters who would vote for Trump, or at least stay home in key swing states when Trump is up for reelection against a Biden/ Duckworth (or whoever) ticket?
    People like Susan Sarandon: Privileged, either male or post menopause, with a willingness to let it all burn down in hopes of a better America growing from the ashes of minorities.

  4. #4144
    Invincible Member Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    22,827

    Default

    Bernie Sanders told Elizabeth Warren in private 2018 meeting that a woman can't win, sources say

    (CNN)The stakes were high when Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren met at Warren's apartment in Washington, DC, one evening in December 2018. The longtime friends knew that they could soon be running against each other for president.

    The two agreed that if they ultimately faced each other as presidential candidates, they should remain civil and avoid attacking one another, so as not to hurt the progressive movement. They also discussed how to best take on President Donald Trump, and Warren laid out two main reasons she believed she would be a strong candidate: She could make a robust argument about the economy and earn broad support from female voters.

    Sanders responded that he did not believe a woman could win.

    The description of that meeting is based on the accounts of four people: two people Warren spoke with directly soon after the encounter, and two people familiar with the meeting.

    That evening, Sanders expressed frustration at what he saw as a growing focus among Democrats on identity politics, according to one of the people familiar with the conversation. Warren told Sanders she disagreed with his assessment that a woman could not win, three of the four sources said.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

  5. #4145
    Extraordinary Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    It does matter. It’s huge for donations and building momentum. Obama would not have been President without Iowa
    Like I said, it matters about staying in the race, but not as an indication of who will eventually win. Talk to Muskie, Gephardt and Harkin.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  6. #4146
    Invincible Member Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    22,827

    Default

    Democrats voice concerns over Sanders

    Democrats who believe Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) had a negative influence on the 2016 general election against President Trump are increasingly expressing worries he’ll hurt the party again in 2020.

    The Democrats complaining about Sanders, some of whom have histories with former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign, argue the rhetoric being employed by the Vermont senator in some cases goes too far in damaging his rivals.

    They say it will make it harder for the party to unify around a nominee, and they’re particularly worried that supporters of Sanders won’t back any nominee who isn’t their favored candidate.

    “He needs to stop,” said one Democratic strategist, who is not affiliated with any of the presidential campaigns. “It's not helpful and it actually hurts the party. It’s like he didn't learn his lesson the last time. It’s incredibly short-sighted and terrible.”
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

  7. #4147
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Like I said, it matters about staying in the race, but not as an indication of who will eventually win. Talk to Muskie, Gephardt and Harkin.
    And like I said, it absolutely mattered for who would win for Obama when he pretty much needed to win there to have a shot

  8. #4148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Iowa doesn't matter. It is a Caucus of a white, farm State. It works very differently than a regular primary. The only thing it does is causes some low in the polls to drop out.
    Whether Iowa should matter is a different question from whether it does.

    One key detail is that whoever wins Iowa has major momentum heading into New Hampshire. If it's Biden, the nomination is likely over, because opportunities are limited for anyone else to get enough attention. If it's Sanders, it'll probably destroy Warren in New Hampshire (and if it's Warren, she probably destroys Sanders.)

    In 538's model, Biden has a 20% chance of winning the nomination if he loses Iowa, and an 80% chance if he wins.
    Buttigieg has a 2% chance of winning the nomination if he loses Iowa, and a 37% chance if he wins.
    Sanders has a 8% chance of winning the nomination if he loses Iowa, and a 61% chance if he wins.
    Warren has a 5% chance of winning the nomination if she loses Iowa, and a 55% chance if she wins.

    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...lear-favorite/

  9. #4149

    Default

    So this fake news was posted here as well
    BB

  10. #4150
    Loony Scott Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Running Springs, California
    Posts
    5,802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Whether Iowa should matter is a different question from whether it does.

    One key detail is that whoever wins Iowa has major momentum heading into New Hampshire. If it's Biden, the nomination is likely over, because opportunities are limited for anyone else to get enough attention. If it's Sanders, it'll probably destroy Warren in New Hampshire (and if it's Warren, she probably destroys Sanders.)

    In 538's model, Biden has a 20% chance of winning the nomination if he loses Iowa, and an 80% chance if he wins.
    Buttigieg has a 2% chance of winning the nomination if he loses Iowa, and a 37% chance if he wins.
    Sanders has a 8% chance of winning the nomination if he loses Iowa, and a 61% chance if he wins.
    Warren has a 5% chance of winning the nomination if she loses Iowa, and a 55% chance if she wins.

    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...lear-favorite/
    Its all about timing. Iowa is important because of timing. Polls can tell you one thing or another all day, but the results of actual voting are the first true indicator of what is really going on. So Iowa is also a kind of reality check for the pollsters.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

  11. #4151
    Invincible Member Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    22,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    So this fake news was posted here as well
    I don't usually associate CNN with 'fake news'. Still, there is room for discussion.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

  12. #4152
    Mighty Member SquirrelMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Probably, but I wish he had done better in the polls anyway.
    He once ran into a burning house to save a woman's life! He's dating Night Nurse! If he had been white, he'd have run away with the nomination.
    Last edited by SquirrelMan; 01-13-2020 at 01:34 PM.

  13. #4153
    Invincible Member Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    22,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    He once ran into a burning house to safe a man's life! He's dating Night Nurse! If he had been white, he'd have run away with the nomination.
    From Wikipedia

    On April 12, 2012, Booker saved a woman from a house fire, suffering smoke inhalation and second-degree burns on his hands in the process. Newark Fire Chief John Centanni said that Booker's actions possibly saved the woman's life.[65] After Hurricane Sandy destroyed much of the shoreline areas of New Jersey and New York in late October 2012, Booker invited Newarkers without power to eat and sleep in his home.[66] In February 2013, responding to a Twitter post, Booker helped a nervous constituent propose to his girlfriend.[67] Booker rescued a dog from freezing temperatures in January 2013 and another dog that had been abandoned in a cage in July 2013.[68][69]
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

  14. #4154
    Invincible Member Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    22,827

    Default

    Whenever something negative is published by the news media about Sanders, his supporters (based on what I have seen on Twitter) go with, 'Fake News', 'No, it's not true', 'Bernie is better than this', and so on.

    Sound familiar?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

  15. #4155
    Invincible Member Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    22,827

    Default

    The Left Doesn’t Want a Biden Nomination — But It’s Split on How to Stop Him

    I think the majority of 'The Left' are supporting Biden.

    Progressive Democrats are growing increasingly concerned that their preferred presidential candidates Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders risk splitting the movement’s vote and handing the Democratic nomination to Joe Biden.

    The anxieties have led to calls by some for one of the two candidates to drop out before the March 3 “Super Tuesday” contests and endorse the other, in order to coalesce the left behind one standard-bearer. But others reject that approach and say both Sanders and Warren should stay in to amass delegates and join forces at the nominating convention in July.

    “A movement can’t have two leaders. There needs to be one going into Super Tuesday,” said Sean McElwee, a progressive organizer and co-founder of the research firm Data for Progress, who called for a pre-Super Tuesday winnowing to unify behind one candidate.
    oh boy.....
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •