Page 1002 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 25029029529929989991000100110021003100410051006101210521102 ... LastLast
Results 15,016 to 15,030 of 17573
  1. #15016
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    Hillary Clinton wasn’t more dominant than Joe Biden. Biden has won far more states and is winning the popular vote by a wider margin than she did. We can’t really discount the effect other candidates had on voting that didn’t occur with Clinton.

    Of course, there are still a lot of questions. And many of them are ones we won’t be asking in November. That won’t be because we ever got satisfactory answers to the questions mind you, but because there will be more important questions at that time. That is why prognosticating this far out on an election is a fool’s errand.
    I agree it’s dumb to predict this far out. If I told you nobody would care about the election in April and everything would be on hold after literally a summer, fall, and winter of over saturated primaries it would have seemed insane

  2. #15017

  3. #15018
    Invincible Jersey Girl Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    23,953

    Default

    Pence task force freezes coronavirus aid amid backlash

    Pence is actually trying to fix the damage Trump is causing, to an extent. But it's still harming America in many ways.

    Last week, a Trump administration official working to secure much-needed protective gear for doctors and nurses in the United States had a startling encounter with counterparts in Thailand.

    The official asked the Thais for help—only to be informed by the puzzled voices on the other side of the line that a U.S. shipment of the same supplies, the second of two so far, was already on its way to Bangkok.
    Trump aides were alarmed when they learned of the exchange, and immediately put the shipment on hold while they ordered a review of U.S. aid procedures. Crossed wires would only confuse our allies, they worried, or worse—offend them. And Americans confronting a surging death toll and shortages of medical equipment back home would likely be outraged.

    Vice President Mike Pence soon realized another step was needed: After a phone call asking a foreign leader’s help with key supplies, he ordered his staff to make sure the review process wasn’t holding up coronavirus-related aid to countries that were assisting the United States.

    The incidents have spurred the Pence-led coronavirus task force to scrutinize all of USAID’s deliveries to countries requesting personal protective equipment (PPE) needed to fight the outbreak, according to people directly involved in the discussions, causing tensions between aid officials and task-force members.

    The administration has also placed a moratorium on overseas shipments of USAID’s stockpiles of protective gear and is asking that the equipment be sent to the U.S. instead, other officials said.
    America’s diplomats are also grappling with China’s attempts to exploit the shortages by supplying aid to Western countries, keenly aware of Beijing’s interest in showing it is supplanting the United States as a global leader.

    Just days before a load of medical supplies from China arrived in the U.S. for distribution in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, the State Department boasted in a press release that the United States was “Leading the Humanitarian and Health Assistance Response to COVID-19.”

    Secretary of State Mike Pompeo highlighted the aid in a press conference on Tuesday, noting, “We've now made available a total of $274 million in funding to as many as 64 countries,” money he said “would go to some of the world’s most at-risk peoples.”
    There is bipartisan agreement on the need to resupply American hospitals and take care of domestic shortages first. But the issue is tricky: Other countries’ ability to fight the virus directly affects the U.S.—an infected man from Wuhan, the sprawling capital of Hubei province in China, is believed to be the first to bring the novel coronavirus to American shores in January—and millions of Americans work, serve, and study overseas in countries that have been hard hit.

    “Our domestic response needs to be the priority, but the amount of aid offered internationally has been too slow and too small, risking the continued spread of the virus to Americans and to communities in countries with weaker infrastructure, immense poverty, and ongoing humanitarian crises,” said Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.), who is the ranking member of the Senate Foreign Relations subcommittee on Africa and Global Health Policy.

    Other Democrats have been more pointed -- and political -- in their criticism. Dan Pfeiffer, who was a senior White House adviser for President Barack Obama, tweeted over the weekend, “Trump sending two million masks to China weeks before COVID came to America because he didn’t take the threat seriously would be a devastating ad.”
    Last edited by Tami; 04-01-2020 at 09:22 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

  4. #15019
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    21,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Hey, WPP, is the Pennsylvania governor still in denial? Or has any restrictions and socila distancing measures been placed yet? Whatever goes on in Philly affects the NJ area across the Delaware. Just as what happens in NYC affects NJ across the Hudson.
    Oh, no, a shutdown has been in place in ALL the state's counties, including Philly which has practically been a ghost town, especially the downtown area. Schools and businesses are closed with no date whatsoever as to when both will reopen, and social distancing has been in full effect. Here in Philly, we get daily updates from our mayor and KYW, our local all news radio station has been just about all COVID-19 all the time since the outbreak began. I think Pennsylvania has done a pretty good job in flattening the curve and keeping the populace informed.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  5. #15020
    Invincible Jersey Girl Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    23,953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Oh, no, a shutdown has been in place in ALL the state's counties, including Philly which has practically been a ghost town, especially the downtown area. Schools and businesses are closed with no date whatsoever as to when both will reopen, and social distancing has been in full effect. Here in Philly, we get daily updates from our mayor and KYW, our local all news radio station has been just about all COVID-19 all the time since the outbreak began. I think Pennsylvania has done a pretty good job in flattening the curve and keeping the populace informed.
    Glad to hear. The information I received was confusing as to what the response in PA was.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

  6. #15021
    Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,109

    Default

    Star Tribune is reporting that the Mayo clinic has found some stuff about antibodies.

    https://twitter.com/StarTribune/stat...731025413?s=09

  7. #15022
    Mighty Member TheDarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,113
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

  8. #15023
    Extraordinary Member Malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Freeville, NY
    Posts
    8,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    'Enthusiasm' is overrated anyway.
    This. As I've said before, if enthusiasm won elections, Ron Paul would be President. My "holding my nose" vote for Biden counts the same as some red-hatter's "rah-rah" vote for Trump.
    Watching television is not an activity.

  9. #15024
    Astonishing Member PwrdOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,672

    Default

    This is pathetic, no? This administration spent the last month constantly downplaying the extent of the virus and telling everyone there was nothing to worry about, and now that's gotten so out of hand that they can't take that tack anymore, they're going to blame China for their lack of preparation? This isn't some kind of contest, and comparing the death tolls is pointless geopolitical posturing that doesn't actually help anyone.

  10. #15025
    Mighty Member TheDarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    This is pathetic, no? This administration spent the last month constantly downplaying the extent of the virus and telling everyone there was nothing to worry about, and now that's gotten so out of hand that they can't take that tack anymore, they're going to blame China for their lack of preparation? This isn't some kind of contest, and comparing the death tolls is pointless geopolitical posturing that doesn't actually help anyone.
    Both things can be true at the same time, no?
    Last edited by TheDarman; 04-01-2020 at 11:36 AM.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

  11. #15026
    Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    6,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    This is pathetic, no? This administration spent the last month constantly downplaying the extent of the virus and telling everyone there was nothing to worry about, and now that's gotten so out of hand that they can't take that tack anymore, they're going to blame China for their lack of preparation? This isn't some kind of contest, and comparing the death tolls is pointless geopolitical posturing that doesn't actually help anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    Both things can be true at the same time, no?
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

    Hillary was right!

  12. #15027
    Astonishing Member PwrdOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    Both things can be true at the same time, no?
    Yeah but there isn't actually any proof that China has been lying about its numbers, just baseless speculation based on random photos people took of stacks of cremation urns. Like it or not, this willingness of people to believe every negative thing they hear about China is what leads to the all the hate crimes you see reported these days. Yeah sure you can repeat until the cows come home that you only hate the government and not the people, but that's about as credible here as all that "I don't hate Muslims, I just hate Islam!" talk was during the Bush era.

  13. #15028
    Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    6,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Yeah but there isn't actually any proof that China has been lying about its numbers, just baseless speculation based on random photos people took of stacks of cremation urns. Like it or not, this willingness of people to believe every negative thing they hear about China is what leads to the all the hate crimes you see reported these days. Yeah sure you can repeat until the cows come home that you only hate the government and not the people, but that's about as credible here as all that "I don't hate Muslims, I just hate Islam!" talk was during the Bush era.
    They literally admitted today that they never counted people who tested positive but had no symptoms.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

    Hillary was right!

  14. #15029
    Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Yeah but there isn't actually any proof that China has been lying about its numbers, just baseless speculation based on random photos people took of stacks of cremation urns. Like it or not, this willingness of people to believe every negative thing they hear about China is what leads to the all the hate crimes you see reported these days. Yeah sure you can repeat until the cows come home that you only hate the government and not the people, but that's about as credible here as all that "I don't hate Muslims, I just hate Islam!" talk was during the Bush era.
    I repeat, this is the same CCP that covered up the situation with the Muslim community, willingly kidnapped people to cover up corruption, has lied in the past to its people, and whose president pulled a Napoleon.

    People doing hate crimes against Asians are monsters but that does not absolve the Chinese government of doing horrible things and covering up things. And before you day America does the same, yes it has and we should hold them accountable for their actions as well.

    I harbor no ill will towards the Chinese people who have seen a lot of shitty governments in their days, what I do harbor ill will towards is the assholes in charge of their government who hold the country in a constant police state.

    See Paul's post above for more examples.

  15. #15030
    Astonishing Member PwrdOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    I repeat, this is the same CCP that covered up the situation with the Muslim community, willingly kidnapped people to cover up corruption, has lied in the past to its people, and whose president pulled a Napoleon.

    People doing hate crimes against Asians are monsters but that does not absolve the Chinese government of doing horrible things and covering up things. And before you day America does the same, yes it has and we should hold them accountable for their actions as well.

    I harbor no ill will towards the Chinese people who have seen a lot of shitty governments in their days, what I do harbor ill will towards is the assholes in charge of their government who hold the country in a constant police state.

    See Paul's post above for more examples.
    That's exactly the issue, because nobody is actually willing to take serious military or economic action against China, trying to "hold the CCP accountable" always just amounts to people shouting racial slurs at every Chinese person they see or perhaps in the most extreme cases a travel ban, which only serves to drive them closer to a government they would otherwise despise. This is also exactly what happens in every other country that America considers an enemy, when are we going to wake up to the fact that our constant reprimands are doing a lot more harm than good? In fact, just about the only country that I can think of that DIDN'T see its people subjected to racial discrimination for being an enemy of the US was Germany, funny that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •