Page 115 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 15651051111121131141151161171181191251652156151115 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,725 of 17573

Cory Booker: ‘This is why I fight’

Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) and I go way back. So far back that I knew him before he ran for mayor of Newark the first time in 2002. Back when his every utterance had people swooning that he could be president one day. Yet, now that he is actually running for president, Booker is way down in the national polls and in the polls in Iowa and South Carolina. When I asked him why that is, Booker used history to make the case that he shouldn’t be counted out.

“Nobody from the Democratic Party in our lifetime has ever gone from leading in the polls this far out to be president of the United States,” Booker told me in the latest episode of “Cape Up” recorded at a dining room table in the house he owns in Newark. “The people who do win are exactly like me. They’re behind in the polls. [Jimmy] Carter at 1 percent around this time. I think Bill Clinton was around 4 percent. Right now, Barack Obama was behind Hillary Clinton. ... They were all considered long shots.”

That’s not all they have in common. Booker then articulated the two things the winning nominees had in common. “One is they’ve been the more unifying candidates, a message about our commonalities, our common purpose. They actually talk about our higher values. Carter after Nixon was talking about a return to decency and to grace in our country. Obama about hope. The other thing they have is understanding what it took to win in Newark. It’s the ability to organize in those early primary states in ways that can win. I think it’s the reason why John Kerry, [who] was polling at 4 percent, low single digits, went on to win,” Booker said. “So, when you ask me about what the metrics I’m concerned about right now, they’re definitely not polling in South Carolina this far out, is much more about the organizing we’re doing in Iowa.”
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Harris vs Gabbard. Gabbard doesn't belong on that stage.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    By the same token a poll conducted in Florida, Michigan and Pennsylvania found a majority supported impeachment. Really I think it's too soon to tell how the public will take it, but right now I don't think the numbers will improve much in Trump's favor.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...peachment-poll
    That's from a Democratic super PAC.

The Times found less support for impeachment in the states Democrats need to win in 2016.

There are two complicating factors. How will voters respond to new developments (a lot of voters don't care about day to day news, but if they change their minds it will be tough to change it back)? What will voters care about in November 2020? A lot of stuff is going to happen between when the Senate makes its decision and the election.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Support for impeachment is one thing. But Trump has lost support in MI and PA. And if the last two elections are any indication, he will have a much harder time getting those two. Without which he can't win.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Gabbard doesn't, but if her only contribution was that she tanked Harris' campaign, I'm cool with it

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Gabbard doesn't, but if her only contribution was that she tanked Harris' campaign, I'm cool with it
    And then Harris slapped her ass down by pointing out all her bulls**t. So one deed deserves another. Beautiful moment.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    And then Harris slapped her ass down by pointing out all her bulls**t. So one deed deserves another. Beautiful moment.
    Thing is Gabbard never had a chance. Harris had something worth losing and she lost it, there's no path for her anymore. Pete took the "moderate alternative" to Biden lane that she was angling for.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Meanwhile...

The focus is on two women going at each other instead of why someone moderating a debate would bring that garbage up as a serious issue while everything else in American is going on.

Gabbard actually used the term Democrat Party. She is done without help from open primary Republicans and the trollosphere.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Support for impeachment is one thing. But Trump has lost support in MI and PA. And if the last two elections are any indication, he will have a much harder time getting those two. Without which he can't win.
    If Trump loses those two states and the one Maine congressional district, the electoral college will be a 269-269 tie. In that case, the election is decided by the House of Representatives, with each state's congressional delegation getting one voter. My understanding is Republicans still benefit, as they have majorities in 26 state delegations (Under that scenario their 3-1 edge in Kansas counts as much as Democrats' 45-7 edge in California.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...237531714.html

The nation’s top prison administrator, Kathleen Hawk Sawyer, told committee members, who expressed skepticism about the official cause of death, that FBI agents are looking at the possibility that a “criminal enterprise” played a role in that death.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...#storylink=cpy
    I have my skepticism that this will go anywhere.

This, right here, is why I still count Booker as my first choice.

President Donald Trump hosted a previously undisclosed dinner with Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook board member Peter Thiel at the White House in October, the company told NBC News on Wednesday.
    The meeting took place during Zuckerberg’s most recent visit to Washington, where he testified before Congress about Facebook’s new cryptocurrency Libra. Zuckerberg also gave a speech at Georgetown University the week before, detailing his company’s commitment to free speech, and its resistance to calls for the company to crack down on misinformation in political ads.
    Break up facebook.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-ne...tober-n1087986

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    The meme's have already begun.
    Quite perfect.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

I can't decide if I want to watch the Democratic Debate or not.
    And then later, she tried taking a statement about combating the cartels by Buttigieg out of context, and questioning his judgment, and he threw her support of Assad in her face. Cut Tulsi deep enough that she winced.

If nothing else, Mayor Pete just did the field a solid by maybe landing the knockout blow on Gabbard's campaign.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.