Page 554 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 544545045445505515525535545555565575585646046541054 ... LastLast
Results 8,296 to 8,310 of 17573

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    What do our British posters think about the Tory plan to destroy the BBC ?
    I'm fine with it. It's wastes money, it doesn't use it's resources correctly, it's a closed shop, and puts so much energy competing on ratings when it doesn't have to.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Read about this on Facebook, so I thought I’d share here:

Alabama lawmaker responds to abortion ban with mandatory vasectomy bill: 'It always takes two to tango'

In response to last year’s near-total (and temporarily blocked) abortion ban in Alabama, a state legislator has introduced a bill that would require a man to undergo a vasectomy, at his own expense, “within one month of his 50th birthday or the birth of his third biological child, whichever comes first.”

House Bill 238, introduced on Thursday by Rep. Rolanda Hollis (D) notes, “Under existing law, there are no restrictions on the reproductive rights of men.”

The bill, Hollis says in a statement she shared with Yahoo Lifestyle, “is meant to neutralize last year’s abortion ban bill, and sends the message that men should not be legislating what women do with their bodies.” Further, she told AL.com, “It always takes two to tango. We can’t put all the responsibility on women. Men need to be responsible also.”
    A brilliant piece of legislation by Rep. Hollis who brought to light the glaring hypocrisy of abortion bans created by Republicans. Predictably, butthurt pro-lifers got their panties in a bunch over the bill, calling it communist and other such bullshit, I mean, what do these people think? That women have immaculate conceptions and can get pregnant without help? Men are part of the equation as well and should share equally in the responsibility.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Regarding the BBC.

Whilst I recognise the licence fee can be a bit absurd at times (and fully support its decriminalisation into something more akin to a fine) I often get the feeling a good majority of those whining about it are of the "I don't want to pay my taxes or this fee, they dont put stuff on I WANT so why should I pay ?" kind.

I'd personally suggest just making it a service payed from our Tax. Though the thorny issue is Britbox.
    When we’ve privatised water, gas, electricity, Post Office...I don’t really understand why BBC should be a sacred cow that everybody HAS to pay for whether we want to watch it or not...especially given the pay levels of many of the BBC employees and sub contacted “entertainers”.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    The more I consider all the candidates, the more I like Elizabeth Warren. IMO she seems to be the most sincere (though maybe a touch naive) of the current batch. There were others who i thought were sincere as well, but they dropped out of the race.
    Oh, I agree. For me, that other candidate who I thought was sincere was Cory Booker. I would love to vote for a Warren/Booker ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Read about this on Facebook, so I thought I’d share here:

Alabama lawmaker responds to abortion ban with mandatory vasectomy bill: 'It always takes two to tango'

A brilliant piece of legislation by Rep. Hollis who brought to light the glaring hypocrisy of abortion bans created by Republicans. Predictably, butthurt pro-lifers got their panties in a bunch over the bill, calling it communist and other such bullshit, I mean, what do these people think? That women have immaculate conceptions and can get pregnant without help? Men are part of the equation as well and should share equally in the responsibility.
    Of course, Rep. Hollis would not actually want this legislation to pass. She is simply making a point. It's like when a Democratic Congressman proposes bringing back the draft to demonstrate how easy it is for sons and daughters of privilege to avoid serving their country.
    Last edited by Malvolio; 02-16-2020 at 12:05 PM.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Of course, Rep. Hollis would not actually want this legislation to pass. She is simply making a point. It's like when a Democratic Congressman proposes bringing back the draft to demonstrate how easy it is for sons and daughters of privilege to avoid serving their country.
    Of course, Republicans like Ted Cruz are pretending they don't get and using it to make their base mad about women, democrats and whatever.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Oh, I agree. For me, that other candidate who I thought was sincere was Cory Booker. I would love to vote for a Warren/Booker ticket.
    I agree with that. Though a Warren/Castro ticket works for me as well.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    When we’ve privatised water, gas, electricity, Post Office...I don’t really understand why BBC should be a sacred cow that everybody HAS to pay for whether we want to watch it or not...especially given the pay levels of many of the BBC employees and sub contacted “entertainers”.
    It's ludicrous how many are paid more than the Prime Minister. That's public money! It's just not okay.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    On a tangent note. In many of our States that have Universities with big Football programs the highest paid State employee is the Football coach, by a magnitude of 10 or more. Some make 5 to 10 million dollars a year?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    On a tangent note. In many of our States that have Universities with big Football programs the highest paid State employee is the Football coach, by a magnitude of 10 or more. Some make 5 to 10 million dollars a year?
    That's different. They oversee young men giving each other incurable brain damage for a scholarship and a shot at fame and fortune.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Bonkers.

I don’t know what the answer is because most of us accept that man is not idealistic enough to make communism a practical proposition. (“From each according to their ability, to each according to need”...i.e. just paying people what they need for a reasonable standard of living)

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    The democratic primaries continue to be a **** show.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    More like: death to electronic vote-tally systems in the caucuses, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    More like: death to electronic vote-tally systems in the caucuses, IMO.
    It's like putting an AI into a Model-T
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.