Page 513 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 134134635035095105115125135145155165175235636131013 ... LastLast
Results 7,681 to 7,695 of 17573
    Astonishing Member

Scoop: Trump pulls nomination for former U.S. attorney for D.C. to Treasury post

President Trump is withdrawing his nomination for former U.S. attorney for D.C. Jessie Liu to serve as the Treasury Department's undersecretary for terrorism and financial crimes, a top position overseeing economic sanctions, according to two sources with direct knowledge.

The big picture: Liu was confirmed in September 2017 to lead the largest U.S. attorney's office in the country, overseeing a number of politically charged prosecutions that included the case against Trump associates Roger Stone, Michael Flynn, Paul Manafort and other spinoffs from the Mueller investigation.

Liu stepped down from the U.S. attorney's office last month after Trump announced his intention to nominate her to the Treasury position in December 2019.
    Liu was expected to stay in her position through her confirmation — with a hearing before the Senate Banking Committee scheduled for this Thursday — but was unexpectedly informed last month that Attorney General Bill Barr was replacing her with his close adviser Timothy Shea.
    She was informed that Trump was pulling her nomination Tuesday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    It is my hope that freeing employers from health subsidies could lead to wage increases as well. But I think the calculus for many families will be a mixed bag.
    That will only happen if required by law. Stockholders don't like sharing profits, even using capital for forced stock buybacks if those filthy employees have too many shares.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Apparently discussing or asking questions about this qualifies as engaging in "lies and hatred" against Sanders.

It does boil down to the bottom line -- the problem is that Sanders' hasn't shown exactly what the bottom line is at this point.

And his supporters don't have the answers either -- just a sense of both entitlement and victimization whenever they are asked to explain his budget.

I understand holding up an ideal as a point of reference, but you need a real plan to get there as well.
    Personally, I like a variant of the Swiss model for public healthcare. Subsidize general care and a couple of specialites that can't be avoided by large segments of the population, like pediatricians and OB/GYNs (likely not stopping there but that is the general idea), with private insurance taking care of the more specialized fields. I personally think the market can come up with solutions that often escape the bureaucracy, but only if they depend on having to do that - the current system where medicare is disallowed by force of law from even attempting to negotiate in order to protect private industry is garbage. If the supposedly superior private industry requires that level of protection against the inefficient government then they have failed and need a serious kick in the pants, or bitchslap, or both. Leave the Sword of Damocles hanging over them where they have to maintain a good enough value to prevent the government from taking customers.

Or maybe something else is also possible, but there are more systems to take a look at than just the Canadian model most people think of.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    This is why Bernie Supporters are vociferous in defending Sanders and ourselves. Because Liberals FUCKING SUCK!
    Centrists and moderates who are ALWAYS complaining about Sanders SUCK. Because if we DARE defend ourselves we're seen as
    purists, so I say **** it, and take the mantle of Bros, and Purist, because I'm sick of centrist and mainstream bullshit.

Being nice and trying to be #civility with the Liberals of the Democratic party isn't working, so screw it.

#FIRECHUCKTODD

'Indefensible': MSNBC's Chuck Todd Under Fire for Reciting Quote Comparing Sanders Supporters to Nazis
    "When Chuck Todd attacked us, including Jews like me with family erased by the Holocaust and pogroms, for being 'brownshirts,' it's bad enough. But the implication also is that Bernie Sanders, whose family was executed by Nazis, is Hitler."
    Chuck Todd is a conservative and he's certainly not a progressive, it's not like Rachel Maddow said it. Liberals don't like it when Bernie supporters blame us for things conservatives do, know who you're speaking about before attacking anyone.

This has nothing to do with how you're defending Bernie Sanders, please stop using this as a justification to hurt your own allies.

This is a primary, every candidate should be criticised by other wings in the party.

Not being nice would have some weight had you bothered to do that in the first place, when it's clear that was never a priority. This is a microcosm of why Sanders presidency would be a disaster.

You're not emotionally prepared for the general, this is a taste of what awaits Sanders as the nominee from the Republicans. Take care of yourself, otherwise you'll crack like an egg once Trump attacks.
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 02-11-2020 at 06:18 PM.

Ultimate Member

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Personally, I like a variant of the Swiss model for public healthcare. Subsidize general care and a couple of specialites that can't be avoided by large segments of the population, like pediatricians and OB/GYNs (likely not stopping there but that is the general idea), with private insurance taking care of the more specialized fields. I personally think the market can come up with solutions that often escape the bureaucracy, but only if they depend on having to do that - the current system where medicare is disallowed by force of law from even attempting to negotiate in order to protect private industry is garbage. If the supposedly superior private industry requires that level of protection against the inefficient government then they have failed and need a serious kick in the pants, or bitchslap, or both. Leave the Sword of Damocles hanging over them where they have to maintain a good enough value to prevent the government from taking customers.

Or maybe something else is also possible, but there are more systems to take a look at than just the Canadian model most people think of.
    You've already given out more info than I've heard from most supporters of Sanders.

I lived in England for a year, so I saw firsthand how convenient and efficient their system is compared to ours. Conversely, I also experienced governmental health care via family military benefits in America as well, along with student health care programs in college, living-wage health care plans while working during the summers, corporate health care programs while working in management at a Fortune 500 company, and COBRA costs while unemployed due to injury.

Where I can see the value -- and problems -- inherent in each of these systems, the average American voter doesn't have any real insight to the benefits of expanded health care services outside of maybe government workers and the ACA. It doesn't help that a large part of said American public sees such social services as "handouts" for African-Americans and "illegals, something which often causes them to vote against their own interests in that respect.

It would be one thing if I saw a clear plan for how Sanders will pay for these programs but the truth is that we are basically being told that it will work out without anyone specifying exactly how it will work out. I'm not a fatalist with regards to most issues, but I likewise don't believe in assuming you can get things done without knowing how to do so, especially when you are attempting to overhaul something as immense as the health care system, or college tuition, or any other governmental program.

It's not that I believe that it can't -- or shouldn't -- be done.

I just don't believe in investing that much trust in someone without a plan or record of success with regards to similar legislation.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 02-11-2020 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    You've already given out more info than I've heard from most supporters of Sanders.

I lived in England for a year, so I saw firsthand how convenient and efficient their system is compared to ours. Conversely, I also experienced governmental health care via family military benefits in America as well, along with student health care programs in college, living-wage health care plans while working during the summers, corporate health care programs while working in management at a Fortune 500 company, and COBRA costs while unemployed due to injury.

Where I can see the value -- and problems -- inherent in each of these systems, the average American voter doesn't have any real insight to the benefits of expanded health care services outside of maybe government workers and the ACA. It doesn't help that a large part of said American public sees such social services as "handouts" for African-Americans and "illegals, something which often causes them to vote against their own interests in that respect.

It would be one thing if I saw a clear plan for how Sanders will pay for these programs but the truth is that we are basically being told that it will work out without anyone specifying exactly how it will work out. I'm not a fatalist with regards to most issues, but I likewise don't believe in assuming you can get things done without knowing how to do so, especially when you are attempting to overhaul something as immense as the health care system, or college tuition, or any other governmental program.

It's not that I believe that it can't -- or shouldn't -- be done.

I just don't believe in investing that much trust in someone without a plan or record of success with regards to similar legislation.
    Oh, yes. COBRA is perfectly named. If you need to use it you will think you have been forced to pay ransom to an 80's cartoon villain.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I've always suspected Joe Biden is a paper tiger but even I'm shocked how quickly his support is disintegrating in these early states. If his "Southern Firewall" fails to hold Biden will be finished.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Oh, yes. COBRA is perfectly named. If you need to use it you will think you have been forced to pay ransom to an 80's cartoon villain.
    I was laid off back in the 1995 and again in 2001 and the last time was the crash, around 2004. Each time I was given the literature etc for COBRA and I was like "they have got to be kidding"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I've always suspected Joe Biden is a paper tiger but even I'm shocked how quickly his support is disintegrating in these early states. If his "Southern Firewall" fails to hold Biden will be finished.
    I'm not. The man has run for President multiple times and never won a single primary state. He's getting shut out for delegates in NH, he campaigned on electablility and is losing, Bloomberg is stealing his southern African American support, and running to South Carolina looks like an awful look and it looks like he's giving up on Nevada now.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    This could be something to watch.

Will folks who were backing Yang just step away from what remains of the nomination process.

Also, sounds like Bennet might be dropping out.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I'm not. The man has run for President multiple times and never won a single primary state. He's getting shut out for delegates in NH, he campaigned on electablility and is losing, Bloomberg is stealing his southern African American support, and running to South Carolina looks like an awful look and it looks like he's giving up on Nevada now.
    If you are losing black support to the stop and frisk guy then you need to hang it up. Or maybe stay in long enough to distract the eventual investigations into the other possible winners a couple more weeks.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I don't begrudge public workers the benefits they get. They have the advantage of Unions which the GOP has help eliminate for many other workers.
    Sometimes, not all public workers are in unions. Many states have basically eradicated them, even for teachers and other key public servants. Benefits are one of the few perks of such a job and the current numbers would indicate they will not be among the "most" who benefit.

On the plus side, they might also be the most able to translate the spending on benefits directly to wages to off-set that shift.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I think the Republicans parlayed the impeachment issue into an effective public attack on Biden. How much that played into his drop I'm not sure, but it's a factor. I don't think even the most fever-pitched Sanders' lover thought it'd be Klobuchar and Buttigieg in the moderate lane after New Hampshire. (Hell, Knight of the Lake insulted me repeatedly for suggesting that this very scenario was possible)

Biden's descent has been rapid and substantial. I think there is a great deal of that which can be cited as Republican driven. The question now is, how quickly do the black voters who have been Biden's base of support abandon ship and to whom do they flock.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Sometimes, not all public workers are in unions. Many states have basically eradicated them, even for teachers and other key public servants. Benefits are one of the few perks of such a job and the current numbers would indicate they will not be among the "most" who benefit.

On the plus side, they might also be the most able to translate the spending on benefits directly to wages to off-set that shift.
    If that is the lay of the land, who is the candidate running for the nomination that is most likely to back those public workers?

In a situation where even some of the existing unions are having to go out on wildcat strikes, isn't a candidate who will support them a sensible choice?