Page 912 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 4128128629029089099109119129139149159169229621012 ... LastLast
Results 13,666 to 13,680 of 17573
  1. #13666
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,363

    Default

    On Monday, Prime Minister Trudeau announced the closure to non-essential travel for every other country but the United States into Canada. At the time everyone was shocked that the border would still be open to Americans. And many speculated aloud that it was because the PM had to negotiate with the POTUS before we could take that action. It's very concerning for us here in British Columbia, because we share a border with Washington state, where the outbreak has been so severe. BC is also the most impacted province in Canada, with six out of the seven total deaths in Canada (so far).

    It's a relief, personally speaking, that this closure finally happened, but it looks like it took an extra two days to make it happen, just because the American government has been so slow moving. In a situation like this two days is important. We need to act as swiftly as possible to contain the virus, any delay means more contagion and more deaths. The reason we have a pandemic now is because people were slow to act months ago when the spread of the virus could have been contained. The American president has been an impediment to action and his slow response time is costing the rest of us.
    ďTh-th-th-that's all folks!Ē

  2. #13667
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Stacey Abrams.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  3. #13668
    Extraordinary Member Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    All over for Bernie now. If you lose Florida and Arizona that have significant Hispanic votes, it shows your not the right guy. Time to back Biden. If Biden's smart he will pick a not just pick a woman for VP, but a woman of African decent. He needs that Obama coalition to win, because to two to with Trump...I'm not sure if he can win.
    Very true. This is totally anecdotal but, the day of the midterms, after voting, I was waiting for a bus. I was wearing one of those "I voted" buttons. A young woman told me she was hyped because she was eighteen and this was the first election she could vote in. She talked about Obama and how she wished she could have voted for him. I said, "So I assume you voted Democrat". Her response: "Oh, no, I didn't vote." I said I just assumed she had since she was going on about how exciting it was that she was eligible now. Her response: "Ohm yeah. But there was no Obama running. There was nobody black to vote for." I resisted saying, "So, basically, you'd rather let everything he did be undone than get off your *ss and vote plus his race seems to be your only criteria".

    Totally anecdotal, yes. But it illustrates that, for a lot of people, it's a one issue thing and a popularity contest. Does someone bore you regardless of their stances or does something about them excite you? In this instance, I think choosing a woman and a black woman would motivate several segments of the population to actually vote and give Biden a better chance, especially considering that, with the ages of Biden and Trump, who is vice-president could be very important.
    His name is CAPTAIN MARVEL.

  4. #13669
    Astonishing Member PwrdOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    In all fairness, the progressives attack the other centrists (is that a new word... don't recall it prior to this election) just as much as the centrists attack the progressives. Any episode of the Young Turks will illustrate that clearly.

    I honestly think the only reason we don't have a third party is because the progressives know they can't get anything done without the democratic party behind them. Otherwise Bernie and his supporters probably would have walked away from the DNC a long time ago.

    Which isn't to say the Republicans don't have similar divides... but they are much better at circling the wagons and coming togther when they need to. For better or for worse, they are a much more united party than the Democrats.
    Well the Young Turks simply aren't that good, period. Like they got popular just because they showed up in everyone's YouTube recommendations for just about every news story, but their commentary really isn't all that intelligent or insightful, and I wouldn't want them to be the standard bearers for the progressive movement. The thing is, the whole party structure is all fucked up in America just because of the strange intersection between the two party system that our Constitution favors, and our messed up racial history. In many places, you have a sort of general "establishment" party that represents business interests, a labor party of some kind that represents workers, at least on paper, then a bunch of these minor parties, many of whom specifically serve the interest of one demographic. And these minor parties are able to wield power by basically playing the two major parties off each other, being the deciding bloc in forming a coalition government or passing certain legislation or whatever. But in America, both the Republicans and Democrats would fit in that pro-business establishment lane, and the pro-worker and pro-minority lanes are empty and thus both are forced to vote Democratic even though the party doesn't really represent our interests very well. The true Democratic base, upper middle class urban intellectuals and professionals, makes up an insignificant minority of the American population, and cannot win elections without roping in a bunch of working class folks, now mostly black and brown since the white ones have fled to Trump, whose interests it promises to serve but never really does.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Stacey Abrams.
    I like Abrams, but I don't think Biden will pick her because she pretty much came out and said a few months ago that she didn't want to be his running mate because why should she have to cede top billing, and I can't say I disagree with that. Also, I don't think that they will really be contesting the deep south in the general, so they will probably pick someone from another region, though I'm not really seeing anyone from a competitive area that's a viable pick, at least not if they're actually committed to choosing a black woman.
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 03-18-2020 at 08:42 AM.

  5. #13670
    Ultimate Member Gray Lensman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    11,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    All over for Bernie now. If you lose Florida and Arizona that have significant Hispanic votes, it shows your not the right guy. Time to back Biden. If Biden's smart he will pick a not just pick a woman for VP, but a woman of African decent. He needs that Obama coalition to win, because to two to with Trump...I'm not sure if he can win.
    One caveat with Florida is that the hispanic population there is much more Cuban than Latin American - And what matters to them is often very different from each other. Last I knew saying anything halfway decent about Castro was still not appreciated in Florida, or at least among the voters it wasn't.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

  6. #13671
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    It's even worse when you consider Bernie isn't acting like that. His reluctance to take heavy shots at Biden show that Bernie is really only staying in to keep his message in the public eye rather than any belief he can win. Too bad his Stans are so enraged they can't even listen to the guy they claim to support.
    Apparently also because he got along with Biden in the past:

    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...biden-campaign

    Meanwhile, a small group of senior aides had been pushing Sanders for months to go harder on Biden.

    The problem: Sanders actually liked him. Personally, they got along better than he ever did with Hillary Clinton, aides have said. (The former vice president falls into an exclusive category for the Vermont senator: the people who were nice to Sanders before he mattered, as two aides put it recently.)

  7. #13672
    Invincible Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    29,999

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Apparently also because he got along with Biden in the past:

    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...biden-campaign
    Even if they aren't actually friends you can definately tell there is a fair amount of mutual respect there. And that mutual respect probably hurt Bernies chances at beating Biden... though it also probably makes it easier to re-unify the party and support him after Bernie drops out or ends up losing. So Bernies strategy, while hurting him and the progressives in the short term, PROBABLY helps the democrats as a whole in the long run.

    Unfortunately a lot of progressives didn't agree and went negative on Biden pretty hard. Not that I entirely blame them... when the guy forgets what day of the week it is and what he's running for, he's sort of asking for it.

  8. #13673
    Extraordinary Member Tendrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Even if they aren't actually friends you can definately tell there is a fair amount of mutual respect there. And that mutual respect probably hurt Bernies chances at beating Biden... though it also probably makes it easier to re-unify the party and support him after Bernie drops out or ends up losing. So Bernies strategy, while hurting him and the progressives in the short term, PROBABLY helps the democrats as a whole in the long run.

    Unfortunately a lot of progressives didn't agree and went negative on Biden pretty hard. Not that I entirely blame them... when the guy forgets what day of the week it is and what he's running for, he's sort of asking for it.
    After his debate performance, we don't really hear about the 'Joementia' campaign anymore. It's pretty much been dispelled.

  9. #13674
    Ultimate Member Gray Lensman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    11,190

    Default

    From Axios - Bernie Sanders deactivates 2020 Facebook ads. That's typically one of the first signs of someone dropping out - although Bernie might stay on the ballot even if he suspends his campaign.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

  10. #13675
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    9,821

    Default

    Stock Market is below the point total Trump had when he took office.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  11. #13676
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    21,068

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    I do think he will pick a black woman for his running mate, Harris would be good, but she comes from the easiest region for the Democrats to win (California & the west coast) I think the running mate will probably be someone from the midwest or south, I could be wrong...just my guess.
    I'd rather Biden go with Harris. Sure, Stacey Abrams might be seen by some as the sexy pick, but I don't know if she has the experience to be VP, I'd want someone who'd be ready to step in right away should, god forbid, something happen to Biden. For me, that's Harris.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  12. #13677
    Extraordinary Member Tendrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I'd rather Biden go with Harris. Sure, Stacey Abrams might be seen by some as the sexy pick, but I don't know if she has the experience to be VP, I'd want someone who'd be ready to step in right away should, god forbid, something happen to Biden. For me, that's Harris.
    What Abrams brings to the table is voter registration savvy. She's registering voters faster than the republicans can purge them. She's smart, has strong organizational talents, and nearly won a deep south red state. /Would/ have won a red state were it not for Kemp's $#$#ery.

  13. #13678
    Mighty Member TheDarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Even if they aren't actually friends you can definately tell there is a fair amount of mutual respect there. And that mutual respect probably hurt Bernies chances at beating Biden... though it also probably makes it easier to re-unify the party and support him after Bernie drops out or ends up losing. So Bernies strategy, while hurting him and the progressives in the short term, PROBABLY helps the democrats as a whole in the long run.

    Unfortunately a lot of progressives didn't agree and went negative on Biden pretty hard. Not that I entirely blame them... when the guy forgets what day of the week it is and what he's running for, he's sort of asking for it.
    The biggest issue with this primary has been that Sanders supporters have routinely demonstrated that they donít take after him in demeanor or exhibition. Iíve had to keep it in my head when I talk about Sanders. Sometimes Iíve even let them bleed into my opinion of himóthat isnít fair.

    But I hope that Bidenís status are being universally liked and respected as a decent man, both across the aisle but within each side of the spectrum, is an asset against the most unlikable candidate in Trump. I fear we might be too divided for that though.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

  14. #13679
    Invincible Jersey Girl Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    23,982

    Default

    It took Trump 4 years to begin to understand how serious the job of President is, not that he's any better at it.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

  15. #13680
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    924

    Default

    Shit's getting out of control here in Vegas. All casinos in Nevada are closed and the NV unemployment benefits is down because it can't handle the traffic. Roads hardly have any cars but grocery stores are packed. I understand the concern of a pandemic but I can't believe how fragile our society is.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •