Page 1013 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 135139139631003100910101011101210131014101510161017102310631113 ... LastLast
Results 15,181 to 15,195 of 17573
    Extraordinary Member

Europe specifically France’s biggest issues regarding racism against Muslims is two fold.

The first being the most obvious, that Europe in general has dealt with more on soil Islamic terrorist attacks. We saw how America reacted in the wake of 9/11. People are generally ignorant and don’t separate the followers of religion from the fundamental ideology (it’s the same reason America had a big problem with Sikhs being attacked and harassed)

The second problem is more unique. France doesn’t really integrate its Muslim population as well as other nations. So you often have little subsets of cities that are worn down that have an entirely separate culture. That in itself causes tension because a lot of French Muslims grow up not feeling accepted by the rest of the population

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Europe specifically France’s biggest issues regarding racism against Muslims is two fold.

The first being the most obvious, that Europe in general has dealt with more on soil Islamic terrorist attacks. We saw how America reacted in the wake of 9/11. People are generally ignorant and don’t separate the followers of religion from the fundamental ideology (it’s the same reason America had a big problem with Sikhs being attacked and harassed)

The second problem is more unique. France doesn’t really integrate its Muslim population as well as other nations. So you often have little subsets of cities that are worn down that have an entirely separate culture. That in itself causes tension because a lot of French Muslims grow up not feeling accepted by the rest of the population
    There are specific elements of the second here in the uk. Some feelings of "Ghettoism". Not as bad as france (seceral prominent Muslims in the uk) but its still an issue

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post

And it's that tension that allows terrorism cells like ISIS to convince conflicted and angered citizens to join and perform acts of domestic terrorism, thus perpetrating the cycle you mentioned. Those groups aren't going to fly in people in their own base of operations to cause chaos and deal with security checks when they can just motivate strife within a place, thus cutting out the middle man and allowing the locals to blame innocents instead, fueling a cycle of hate and creating more potential followers.

Considering that the US has a majority Christian population (+ the strife and few, albeit slow successes we've had with civil rights/social programs/foreign relations/education/etc which occurred centuries or decades ago), it doesn't surprise me that we appear to others as being backwards.

What can we do in order to convince stubborn American citizens to leave the 20th century in the past?

How much should we interfere with their religious beliefs?

What exactly is the difference between an American christian and a christian in any other part of the world?
    Last edited by Crabble; 04-03-2020 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crabble View Post
    Considering that the US has a majority Christian population (+ the strife and few, albeit slow successes we've had with civil rights/social programs/foreign relations/education/etc which occurred centuries or decades ago), it doesn't surprise me that we appear to others as being backwards.

How and what can we do in order to convince stubborn American citizens to leave the 20th century in the past?
    Then this looks like good news.
    In U.S., Decline of Christianity Continues at Rapid Pace
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Crabble View Post

How and what can we do in order to convince stubborn American citizens to leave the 20th century in the past?
    Elect leaders who have both feet firmly planted in the 21st century, or at least are moving in that direction. People take their cues from public figures they 'respect' or want to emulate or because all their friends are following the same person. It's not just elected officials, but that is a good place to start.

Bottom line, if there are people with a public persona who spouts anti-whatever sentiments, who encourage the kinds of -isms, like racism or sexism, and so on, that lead to violence and intolerance, then the public will emulate them, will think it's okay to do this. Like the MAGA crowd that shouts 'Go Home'. Or the ones who listen to the President blame China, so they go out and attack Asian Americans.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

I'm seeing nuts on social media say they should be able to walk around outside in the USA because a virus doesn't stop their constitutional rights.

Ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    France and other European countries are not as reliant on this as we are, at least not since decolonization, they of course still take advantage of cheap imported labor but their country wouldn't implode in a bundle of self-contradiction if they didn't have it.
    I admit, I don't understand this sentence, in France, there is basic income, for some jobs, we can be very badly paid, but it is the same for everyone.
    If there is a inequality, it's in education that can enable you to have access to better paid jobs even if a part of education is free and there are scholarships.
    One biggest problem is employment discrimination, though…

I heard of cheap labor in Italy among illegal immigration.
    Possible there is one that is significant in France too, but the entreprises would take a big risk.

Biggest cheap labor is from the products we import from countries where labor is cheap.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I'm seeing nuts on social media say they should be able to walk around outside in the USA because a virus doesn't stop their constitutional rights.

Ffs.
    Let's see them say to the coronavirus, "You can't infect me! I have rights!" and see how that turns out for them.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post

Ffs.
    I overheard a co-worker planning a party for this weekend. This guy has been a vocal denier of the the pandemic since the outset.
    I've also interacted with a couple of people this week who've referred to it as a " Democrat hoax."
    The GOP propaganda mill is still pumping out the BS for the faithful y'all.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I overheard a co-worker planning a party for this weekend. This guy has been a vocal denier of the the pandemic since the outset.
    I've also interacted with a couple of people this week who've referred to it as a " Democrat hoax."
    The GOP propaganda mill is still pumping out the BS for the faithful y'all.
    I was looking fro something else and I found this

The Constitution Isn’t Suspended Because of Coronavirus

The city of Newark is cracking down on “coronavirus disinformation,” warning that any “false reporting” — which includes misleading “allegations” on social media — will lead to criminal prosecution. What exactly makes Newark think it has the authority to threaten speech?

And how exactly is this kind of speech code going to be enforced? How will Newark police know if the person spreading “disinformation” even lives in their city? Will they subpoena the IP address of @Goldilox5073540586732 to find out? Will they extradite people from other cities who are making false statements about Newark? What if someone on Facebook tells Newarkites — Newarkians? — that coronavirus isn’t that big of a deal? Or what if they have an unprovable theory? Will the city’s department of safety consider those illegal “allegations?”
    To a lesser extent, I also find Washington governor Jay Inslee’s decision to “ban” gatherings of over 250 people in the Seattle area concerning. Of course, it makes sense for government officials to implore citizens to stay away from large groups. And the governor has wide-ranging powers — hard to believe how wide-ranging, to be honest — to enact restrictions in times of emergency. But what if 250 individuals want to get together to protest Inslee’s ban or the Trump administration’s handling of coronavirus? What if 250 individuals want to get together to pray? What constitutional right does a governor have to stop them?
    This is the kind of talk that gets people killed.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I was looking fro something else and I found this

The Constitution Isn’t Suspended Because of Coronavirus

This is the kind of talk that gets people killed.
    At what point can certain speech be considered as reckless endangerment?
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

In the last ABC News poll, Trump's handling of the coronavirus crisis had an approval-disapproval rating of plus 5.

In about 10 days, it has swung to minus 7!

Consistent with this, in the new ABC News/Ipsos poll, perceptions of Trump among ideologues also appear back closer to where it's long been, with most reverting back to their partisan tribes. Only 9% of Democrats approve of the president's handling of coronavirus, which is less than a third of the 30% of Democrats who said the same in the poll two weeks ago. Meanwhile, 91% of Republicans approve now, which is on par with the March 20 poll.
    https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/fewe...ry?id=69940187
    Last edited by PaulBullion; 04-03-2020 at 12:40 PM.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

As a retired Navy man, I found that video uplifting. Captain Crozier risked his career to protect his crew, you can’t help but respect that sense of loyalty. I’d sail with that man in a New York minute.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!