Page 156 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 561061461521531541551561571581591601662062566561156 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,340 of 17573

Facebook took action on a fake story on white vans – but what about these hoaxes?

Facebook has come under fire this week after a hoax story about women being abducted in white vans went viral on its platform. The site’s algorithms are thought to have perpetuated the circulation of the story.

The story resulted in a TV appearance on Monday by Baltimore’s mayor, Jack Young, who warned citizens that the white vans are abducting women for sex trafficking and selling their body parts, even though the claims have not been substantiated. “It’s all over Facebook,” he told a local news station.

The platform says it is is now trying to stop the misinformation from spreading even further – by limiting the circulation of viral posts that are perpetuating it.

This week, the Guardian uncovered a far-right network pushing out thousands of fake news articles about the US congresswomen Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib. When the Guardian notified Facebook of its investigation, the company removed several pages and accounts – but not because they were spreading misinformation. The media platform removed only content that “appeared to be financially motivated”.

Here are some other unsubstantiated stories that remain on the platform.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

The Stakes For Ukraine Are High In Monday's Summit Between Putin And Zelenskiy

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy made his latest address to the nation this week in the gym, then posted it on Facebook.

Dressed in a T-shirt and sweatpants, the 41-year-old former comedian walked on a treadmill as he rattled off the latest accomplishments of his three-month old government. Zelenskiy didn't mention the U.S. impeachment scandal, which few Ukrainians care about. He focused instead on his first meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin, set to take place in Paris at a summit hosted by French President Emmanuel Macron on Dec. 9.

"This meeting is already a victory for us," said Zelenskiy. "I will be able to act more confidently, more strongly, if I know the country trusts me and that our whole independent nation has my back."

For more than five years, a Russian-backed insurgency in eastern Ukraine has ground on, costing more than 13,000 lives. It has been three years since a Ukrainian leader last met with Putin. The conflict continues as a low-level war, tearing apart lives and stunting Ukraine's development.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

White Supremacist Steve King is at it again, this time ranting in a Pizza Hut.

The Iowa congressman told supporters at a Pizza Hut in Sioux City this week that his comments about white nationalism have been totally misconstrued by the media. But he also wanted to add that the West is a “superior civilization.”

“It is a superior civilization. It exists everywhere where Judeo-Christianity laid the footprint for civilization,” King said at the gathering, according to the Sioux Center News.

The nine-term congressman was stripped of his committee assignments in January after he mused in an interview with The New York Times about when being a white nationalist became such a bad thing. “White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?” King asked the Times.

This time, King condemned white nationalism and white supremacy as “odious ideologies” and claimed his words were taken out of context. (The Times has stood by its reporting).

“I’ve been treated like a federal felon for a misquote in the New York Times,” King said.

King found himself on the ropes in 2018, narrowly eking out a victory in his Iowa district after decades of simmering allegations of racism came to a head in the months leading up to the election. At issue was his trip to Austria in the summer of 2018, during which he met with members of a far-right, Nazi-linked political party.

He also gave an interview to a far-right publication, in which he discussed European superiority, threats posed by Arab and Latino immigration to “Western civilization,” and falling fertility rates in the U.S.

He was also criticized for promoting a white nationalist on Twitter. Ahead of the 2018 midterms, King lost major donors including Intel, Land O’Lakes, and Purina.

Theres only three ways to stop Ukraine becoming a vassal to Russia.

1. Remove Putin and hope a more democratic leader will realise tanking all the sanctions is dumb and Ukraine isn't worth the effort.

2. Give Ukraine nuclear weapons. Yeah Cuban Missile Crisis 2.0 but the Superpowers only respect force so **** it.

3. Have the entirety of the UN and or a significant chunk make a big deal out of Ukraine with threats of sending unilateral peacekeeping forces to liberate it and actually backing it up. Russia will then realise its not worth the trouble and back off.

This kind of bullshit should have ended when the Nuke was made, Post modern imperialism doesnt work, makes you look like an ******* and bleeds your military.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

So long jerk! You will not be missed!

Embattled California Rep. Duncan Hunter (R) announced on Friday he plans to resign from his seat.

The announcement comes in the wake of the lawmaker’s decision to reverse course and plead guilty to charges of campaign finance violations. The move came months after Hunter’s wife and former campaign treasurer, Margaret Hunter, opted to change her plea to guilty earlier this year.

"Shortly after the Holidays, I will resign from Congress. It has been an honor to serve the people of California's 50th District, and I greatly appreciate the trust they have put in me over these last 11 years," he said in a statement.

Blood and Soil in Narendra Modi’s India

On August 11th, two weeks after Prime Minister Narendra Modi sent soldiers in to pacify the Indian state of Kashmir, a reporter appeared on the news channel Republic TV, riding a motor scooter through the city of Srinagar. She was there to assure viewers that, whatever else they might be hearing, the situation was remarkably calm. “You can see banks here and commercial complexes,” the reporter, Sweta Srivastava, said, as she wound her way past local landmarks. “The situation makes you feel good, because the situation is returning to normal, and the locals are ready to live their lives normally again.” She conducted no interviews; there was no one on the streets to talk to.

Other coverage on Republic TV showed people dancing ecstatically, along with the words “Jubilant Indians celebrate Modi’s Kashmir masterstroke.” A week earlier, Modi’s government had announced that it was suspending Article 370 of the constitution, which grants autonomy to Kashmir, India’s only Muslim-majority state. The provision, written to help preserve the state’s religious and ethnic identity, largely prohibits members of India’s Hindu majority from settling there. Modi, who rose to power trailed by allegations of encouraging anti-Muslim bigotry, said that the decision would help Kashmiris, by spurring development and discouraging a long-standing guerrilla insurgency. To insure a smooth reception, Modi had flooded Kashmir with troops and detained hundreds of prominent Muslims—a move that Republic TV described by saying that “the leaders who would have created trouble” had been placed in “government guesthouses.”

The change in Kashmir upended more than half a century of careful politics, but the Indian press reacted with nearly uniform approval. Ever since Modi was first elected Prime Minister, in 2014, he has been recasting the story of India, from that of a secular democracy accommodating a uniquely diverse population to that of a Hindu nation that dominates its minorities, especially the country’s two hundred million Muslims. Modi and his allies have squeezed, bullied, and smothered the press into endorsing what they call the “New India.”

Kashmiris greeted Modi’s decision with protests, claiming that his real goal was to inundate the state with Hindu settlers. After the initial tumult subsided, though, the Times of India and other major newspapers began claiming that a majority of Kashmiris quietly supported Modi—they were just too frightened of militants to say so aloud. Television reporters, newly arrived from Delhi, set up cameras on the picturesque shoreline of Dal Lake and dutifully repeated the government’s line.

As the reports cycled through the news, the journalist Rana Ayyub told me over the phone that she was heading to Kashmir. Ayyub, thirty-six years old, is one of India’s best-known investigative reporters, famous for relentlessly pursuing Modi and his aides. As a Muslim from Mumbai, she has lived on the country’s sectarian divide her whole life. She suspected that the government’s story about Kashmir was self-serving propaganda. “I think the repression is probably worse than it’s ever been,” she said. She didn’t know what she might find, but, she told me, “I want to speak to those unheard voices.”

In both Hindi and English, Ayyub speaks with disorienting speed and infectious warmth; it is difficult to resist answering her questions, but she might have another one before you finish responding to the first. On the phone, she invited me to meet her in Mumbai and try to get into Kashmir, even though foreign correspondents were banned there during the crackdown. When I arrived, she handed me a pair of scarves and told me to buy a kurta, the typical Indian tunic. “I am ninety-nine per cent sure you will be caught, but you should come anyway,” she said, laughing. “Just don’t open your mouth.”

Ayyub and I landed at the Srinagar airport two weeks after Modi’s decree. In the terminal was a desk labelled “Registration for Foreigners,” which she hustled me past, making sure I kept my head down. The crowd was filled with police and soldiers, but we made it to the curb without being spotted, climbed into a taxi, and sped off into Srinagar.
    Indian intelligence agents are widely understood to monitor the rosters of local hotels, so Ayyub and I, along with an Indian photographer named Avani Rai, had arranged to stay with a friend. When we got there, a Kashmiri doctor who was visiting the house told us to check the main hospital, where young men were being treated after security forces fired on them. The police and soldiers were using small-gauge shotguns—called pellet guns by the locals—and some of the victims had been blinded. “Go to the ophthalmology ward,” the doctor said.

At the hospital, we found a scene of barely restrained chaos, with security officers standing guard and families mixing with the sick in corridors. While I stood in a corner, trying to make myself inconspicuous, Ayyub ran to the fourth floor to speak to an eye doctor. After a few minutes, she returned and motioned for me and Rai to follow. “Ward eight,” she said. Thirty gunshot victims were inside.
    As the three of us approached, a smartly dressed man with a close-cropped beard stepped into our path and placed his hand on Ayyub’s shoulder. “What are you doing here?” he said. Rai looked at me and quietly said, “Run.” I turned and dashed into the crowd. The bearded man took Ayyub and Rai by the arm and led them away.

India continues to be awful and I suspect most debate in the west will inevitably try to throw shade on the uk, because despite them being a free nation for over 50 years we somehow still make them do stupid decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    White House Counsel Calls On House Democrats To End Impeachment ‘Charade’

President Trump also let pass a deadline to agree to participate in an upcoming Judiciary Committee hearing. No surprise there about not participating. Meanwhile....

More Than 500 Legal Scholars Say Trump Committed Impeachable Acts

Their open letter comes as House Democrats are drawing up articles of impeachment for a full floor vote. Who you gonna believe? Half a thousand scholars who's business is the law, or one orange skinned moron who lives for lying and cheating?

Virginia Prison Under Fire For Strip-Searching 8-Year-Old Visiting Dad

The “deeply troubling” incident never should have been allowed to happen, prison officials said. Jesus! talk about abominable!

Nikki Haley: Confederate Flag Was About ‘Heritage’ Until Dylann Roof ‘Hijacked’ It

Roof, a white supremacist, posed with the flag in photos before killing nine worshippers in a historically Black church. What? WHAT? Bitch, have you lost your goddamn mind? That's like saying the swastika was about heritage before the Nazis hijacked it!

Donald Trump Declares War On Water-Saving Toilets And Twitter Is Flushed With Jokes

“To be fair to the POTUS, it’s hard to get the whole Constitution and Bill of Rights down in one flush,” one person responded. What has this country come to?
    Regarding Nikki Haley and the Confederate flag: Southerners often argue that the Civil War was fought over "States' Rights." But let's always remember that chief among those rights was the right of White people to have Black people as slaves.

The Elon Musk v Unsworth court case reminds me of a favourite journalist who always argued that any Brit that transacted business in the USA should urgently consult a psychiatrist....primarily on the grounds that any foreigner who appears in a USA court against an American will always lose the case, regardless of the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Regarding Nikki Haley and the Confederate flag: Southerners often argue that the Civil War was fought over "States' Rights." But let's always remember that chief among those rights was the right of White people to have Black people as slaves.
    The first sentence of the declaration of secession is literally about the right to own human beings as property. States rights is semi-revisionist bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    The first sentence of the declaration of secession is literally about the right to own human beings as property. States rights is semi-revisionist bullshit.
    Plus the pre-civil war Fugitive Slave Act prohibited black people from being able to testify in their own defense. States Rights only mattered when it was Southern States Rights, Northern States had the right to do what a Southern dominated federal government told them to do. And once they (or those who sympathized with them) lost that hold, they voted to secede.

Bonus: Confederate Texas even made it crime to ever free a slave.
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 12-07-2019 at 11:47 AM.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    People lurk on this thread just waiting for the opportunity to jump in and **** on Hillary Clinton.
    Your outrage is dated and so fucking tiresome at this point. It's been 3 years. Move on.
    QFT. I also think Hillary was a flawed candidate but still voted for her. I would have voted for Bernie had he won the nomination. No way I was going to vote for Trump. I've mentioned here many times how I followed some of the stuff that Vanity Fair (I am a subcriber) had written about him over the years prior to his campaign.

I think a lot of the Hiillary haters are those that didn't like that she was not the kind of first lady that perhaps promoted the arts, supported many charity events and other non-controversial topics. She pushed for health care reform but did not succeed. Many probably resented the fact that she was dealing legislative issues as first lady and Bill left her in charge of that. The biggest hypocrite is Rudy Guiliani, who praised her efforts in the Senate in getting bills out there and passed for NYC after 9/11. She was always there for the First Responders and got the assistance they needed. The article linked tells of how she was there at Ground Zero (Trump always lied about being there. Funny how none of the First Responders say diddly squat about him helping out.

Michelle Obama drew a ton of haters too probably for the some of the same reasons only there was a lot of hateful racism too.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Plus the pre-civil war Fugitive Slave Act prohibited black people from being able to testify in their own defense. States Rights only mattered when it was Southern States Rights, Northern States had the right to do what a Southern dominated federal government told them to do. And once they (or those who sympathized with them) lost that hold, they voted to secede.

Bonus: Confederate Texas even made it crime to ever free a slave.
    States Rights only matter if they are rights they agree with. When it comes to nullifying federal gun laws, ones on LGBT marriage, or abortion they are wholly for the concept. As soon as a State decides it wants to legalize marijuana or increase the minimum wage then that philosophy goes right out the window.

Ah what....?

Statement from The President: "Right now in a number of states the laws allow a baby to be born from his or her mother's womb in the 9th month. It is wrong. It has to change." Watch.
    Twitter Link with video

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post

I'm totally speechless . . .