Page 371 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 271321361367368369370371372373374375381421471871 ... LastLast
Results 5,551 to 5,565 of 17573

In a "not at all disproportionate response" that doesn't show us how militarized American police have become...

A heavily-armed 25 man swat team was sent to arrest a serial graffiti artist in Tempe, Arizona
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Though I've used the term myself, I'm of the belief that you can't always pigeon hole anyone into a single point on the political spectrum, with a few exceptions.

The worse thing happens is when others point to you and label you something based solely on one decision or viewpoint.

I used to think of myself as more moderate, but now I know I'm all over the place depending on the issues and what I perceive as the best and most practical and realistic solutions to those problems.

There are those who lean too far to the right, or too far to the left, but that's never a good thing.
    Many people who surveys list as moderates are actually extremists with some views from each side of the political spectrum. Many actual Libertarians survey as moderates since they often hold extreme right views on taxation coupled with extreme left views on minority rights.

Note: I refuse to consider the Federalist society as having libertarian views no matter how much they say they do. The judges they approve of almost all hold extreme views on sovereign immunity which are incompatible with a libertarian viewpoint.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    A moderate liberal is basically someone who recognizes that our current socioeconomic structure is unjust but doesn't want to make any changes that would impact their lives in any way.
    No -- we are people who don't want the extremist nutcases messing things up for the rest of us.

Both of you tend to try to push your politics on those who don't care to get caught up in your batttes -- I'd love to be apolitical but the Republicans are a real threat to both our democracy and human civilization as we know it via climate change and that has to be addressed directly.

That doesn't mean I find the dogmatic and contemptuous attitude of many on the "left" any better -- it's just that those on the left tend to be less dishonest and violent about achieving their goals, which makes them mildly more tolerable.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 01-26-2020 at 01:05 PM.

Kobe Bryant died in a helicopter crash.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    In a "not at all disproportionate response" that doesn't show us how militarized American police have become...

A heavily-armed 25 man swat team was sent to arrest a serial graffiti artist in Tempe, Arizona
    I understand such a response in some cases, like with Roger Stone. When you social media has several pictures of you brandishing tacticool weaponry with the caption "waiting for the revolution to come" you might be taken seriously and there will be enough of a show of force to either dissuade you or end things quickly if you don't get the hint. But for some serial tagger or some schmuck with a small time poker game in his basement?
    Dark does not mean deep.

To be fair, they were probably terrified that he might have a dog, or throw a water bottle or a dollar store smoke bomb at them, and prepared for those unquestionably terrorist tactics accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    1994 Video of Bernie Sanders saying country needed more jails and 'tougher' penalties in certain cases in remarks backing crime bill

The oppo research is kicking into overdrive now that his opponents smelled blood in the water after the Rogan missteps.
    It was a moment that may come back to haunt Joe Biden—perhaps as soon as tonight’s Democratic debate: In an earlier round this summer, Senator Cory Booker of New Jersey wheeled on the former vice president, attacking his sponsorship of the 1994 federal crime bill with a roundhouse punch. “There are people right now in prison for life for drug offenses,” Booker said, “because you stood up and used that tough-on-crime phony rhetoric that got a lot of people elected but destroyed communities like mine.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...memory/597547/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...2c7_story.html

Just last night it was all joking and laughing when Lebron beat his points record, now he's gone. Can't take anything for granted.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    It was a moment that may come back to haunt Joe Biden—perhaps as soon as tonight’s Democratic debate: In an earlier round this summer, Senator Cory Booker of New Jersey wheeled on the former vice president, attacking his sponsorship of the 1994 federal crime bill with a roundhouse punch. “There are people right now in prison for life for drug offenses,” Booker said, “because you stood up and used that tough-on-crime phony rhetoric that got a lot of people elected but destroyed communities like mine.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...memory/597547/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...2c7_story.html
    Bernie voted for it as well. It had terrible ramifications, but make no mistake....black voters WANTED that legislation. It's being falsely weaponized against everyone.

The difference in this case is that Bernie is getting the dose his supporters have been using on Biden. It's not a fair attack on either candidate, but now the unfair attacks are evening up.

Shall we explain how stochastic terrorism works again, since you seem to have forgotten?
    I'm familiar with it. We've discussed it in the past a few times.

However, it would be a category error to frame it as if it were the equivalent of making a threat, as that understates how bad it is what SquirrelMan thinks Trump is doing.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Bernie voted for it as well. It had terrible ramifications, but make no mistake....black voters WANTED that legislation. It's being falsely weaponized against everyone.

The difference in this case is that Bernie is getting the dose his supporters have been using on Biden. It's not a fair attack on either candidate, but now the unfair attacks are evening up.
    Black people supported the crime bill because they thought it was actually meant to address the problem of gang violence and make their communities safer. They didn't realize that, in the eyes of conservatives and moderates, all black people might as well be guilty until proven innocent, and that their rights are irrelevant next to the preservation of white property. Now the snake oil salesman is back again trying to sell black people on a policy vision that doesn't do anything to address their concerns, what was it that W said about fool me can't get fooled again?

Astonishing Member

One of his daughter was with him too. Can't imagine what is wife is going through right now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Black people supported the crime bill because they thought it was actually meant to address the problem of gang violence and make their communities safer. They didn't realize that, in the eyes of conservatives and moderates, all black people might as well be guilty until proven innocent, and that their rights are irrelevant next to the preservation of white property. Now the snake oil salesman is back again trying to sell black people on a policy vision that doesn't do anything to address their concerns, what was it that W said about fool me can't get fooled again?
    Bernie voted for it too. Back away from the shrine.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Bernie voted for it too. Back away from the shrine.
    You can't defend Biden so you slime Bernie, like a trump supporter.

Wonder how Trump is going to respond to this: Michelle Obama adds Grammy winner to her list of accomplishments

Yes she can — win a Grammy.

Michelle Obama can now add Grammy winner to her list of significant accomplishments, including her successes as a lawyer, initiatives as first lady, and her enviable arms (who doesn’t want Michelle Obama arms, really?). She took home the trophy for her audiobook recording of her memoir Becoming in the Best Spoken Word Album category on Sunday. Unfortunately, she wasn’t in attendance to collect her award, but presenter Esperanza Spalding (who beat out Justin Bieber and Drake for Best New Artist in 2011 and later collected a 2020 Grammy for Best Jazz Vocal Album) said, “I will gladly accept on her behalf.”

It’s already shaping up to be quite a year for the Obama family, between Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s shout-out to Barack during the Golden Globes and now this victory for Michelle.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.