Page 162 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 621121521581591601611621631641651661722122626621162 ... LastLast
Results 2,416 to 2,430 of 17573

Trump and qualified is an oxymoron.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Can you name any administration that had more than three botched nominations within 8 years? Let alone six in three?

You can't. Because it's that bad right now. He nominated Stephen Menashi who isn't just a sexist tool, doesn't just have white nationalist beliefs... but when you look past that... HE NEVER SAT ON THE BENCH FOR A SINGLE CASE.

But hey, that resume looks GREAT.

Maybe for working at McDonald's. But not for getting Thurgood Marshall's seat.
    I haven't said every nominee's resume looks good, but it does seem Trump has a greater percentage of nominees with particular objective qualifications.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I haven't said every nominee's resume looks good, but it does seem Trump has a greater percentage of nominees with particular objective qualifications.
    Its almost like this is partisan hackery....but no....no it couldnt be could it ?

CNN just ran a fun statistic.

When Trump took office, there were 241 Republicans in the House.

In three years' time, 104 of that number of been voted out of office, were indicted and resigned, or announced their retirements.

43% of the GOP caucus have bowed out under Trump. That... should tell you a lot.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

At a rally just now in Hershey, PA, Trump called FBI Agents "Spies and Scum".

So he's taking the IG report well.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Yeah, being right wing ideologues who, in more than a few cases, couldn’t judge a high school beauty pageant, and, more importantly, loyal buttmunches for Trump.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Those qualifications seem to focus primarily on furthering a strictly conservative evangelical agenda.

In an age of legislative dysfunction, whoever controls the courts controls the country. In the past decade or so — or more precisely, since Republicans took over the House in 2011 — Congress has been barely functional. You can count on one hand — and possibly on just a few fingers — the major legislation it has enacted.

Judges, by contrast, have become the most consequential policymakers in the nation. They have gutted America’s campaign finance law and dismantled much of the Voting Rights Act. They have allowed states to deny health coverage to millions of Americans. They’ve held that religion can be wielded as a sword to cut away the rights of others. They’ve drastically watered down the federal ban on sexual harassment. And that barely scratches the surface.
    The judiciary is where policy is made in the United States. And that policy is likely to be made by Republican judges for the foreseeable future. Further in the article Millhiser describes the partisan decisions these appointees have already leveled and the increased power they will have over the lives of average Americans in the next several decades.

There are likely now five votes on the Supreme Court, for example, to effectively give the judiciary a veto power over all federal regulations. Similarly, the Court’s decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby (2014) signals that religious conservatives may now ask the judiciary for an exemption from any law — and courts are likely to become quite generous in passing out such exemptions in the coming years. Republicans spent most of 2017 trying and failing to repeal Obamacare — but that failure means little to a federal appeals court that is expected to strike down the Affordable Care Act any day now.
    And that’s not all. In the coming months, the courts are poised to gut abortion rights, eviscerate gun control, and neuter landmark environmental laws. Federal judges have already stripped workers of their ability to assert many of their rights against their employers, and this process is likely to accelerate in the near future. Many of our voting rights lay in tatters, thanks to conservative judicial appointments, and this process is likely to accelerate as well.
    When Congress has been unable to function, the executive branch has relied on existing federal laws that delegate some policymaking authority to federal agencies, in order to deal with many of the nation’s pressing needs. But with the Supreme Court poised to give judges a veto power over these agencies’ actions, the courts could in effect strike down any regulation they dislike. In a Republican-controlled judiciary, this likely means that Republican administrations will retain broad discretionary authority, but Democratic administrations will be hobbled.
    I'd wager most of those judges these appointees clerked for were heavily conservative in their leanings, otherwise the Federalists wouldn't have vouched for them.
    There is obviously nothing democratic about any of this and it should be illegal for any political group to have so much influence over a process that will shape the American legal system for decades to come.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

At a rally just now in Hershey, PA, Trump called FBI Agents "Spies and Scum".

So he's taking the IG report well.
    And that’s the one powerful constant with Trump: in his world, if you don’t kiss his orange ass and pledge undying fealty, you’re a hated enemy for life, no matter who you are. I’m sure folks at the Bureau enjoyed being slandered by the President.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Ummm, did anyone see the Trump Thanos video from his official team? So much to unpack there, but I'll go for the fact that the Thanos clip is just a few seconds before Thanos is ultimately killed and all of his lackies go with him.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Ummm, did anyone see the Trump Thanos video from his official team? So much to unpack there, but I'll go for the fact that the Thanos clip is just a few seconds before Thanos is ultimately killed and all of his lackies go with him.
    Oh, people have noticed.

So... earlier today, the Trump 2020 campaign put out a shopped video of Trump in Avengers: Endgame. What inspiring hero did they superimpose his head on?

They didn't. They put his head on the body of the genocidal supervillain, Thanos, declare himself "inevitable" and had him snap his fingers and reduce the Democrats trying to impeach him to ashes.

This... is really stupid. Not only because they're confirming he is a comic book villain, but because in the scene in the movie they were using, Thanos snaps that time only to realize that Tony Stark yeeted the Infinity Stones off his gauntlet.

But hey, thanks for confirming he's a deranged tyrant, and his team's desire is to wipe out the lives of all that oppose him.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I wonder if its a distraction for the real insidious thing Trump did today.

President Trump will sign an executive order defining Judaism as a nationality, not just a religion, thus bolstering the Education Department's efforts to stamp out "Boycott Israel" movements on college campuses
    This... oh boy, this does not look good at all.

Oh, people have noticed.

So... earlier today, the Trump 2020 campaign put out a shopped video of Trump in Avengers: Endgame. What inspiring hero did they superimpose his head on?

They didn't. They put his head on the body of the genocidal supervillain, Thanos, declare himself "inevitable" and had him snap his fingers and reduce the Democrats trying to impeach him to ashes.

This... is really stupid. Not only because they're confirming he is a comic book villain, but because in the scene in the movie they were using, Thanos snaps that time only to realize that Tony Stark yeeted the Infinity Stones off his gauntlet.

But hey, thanks for confirming he's a deranged tyrant, and his team's desire is to wipe out the lives of all that oppose him.
    I’m not up on legal matters, but isn’t there something about theft or tampering of intellectual property in what Trump’s lackeys had done? Now that the Marvel Cinematic Universe is under the control of Disney, screwing around with the Mouse isn’t a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I’m not up on legal matters, but isn’t there something about theft or tampering of intellectual property in what Trump’s lackeys had done? Now that the Marvel Cinematic Universe is under the control of Disney, screwing around with the Mouse isn’t a good idea.
    Even if they don't (and they will), Jim Starlin's already pissed.

I suspect JCAll misremembered the original post about trading away gay rights for climate change legislation, so there's no talk of a tradeoff like that.

Every side will argue that their big issues benefit everyone, so it shouldn't be compromised.
    I’m not sure if it was you and I going around on Democrat’s giving up gay rights if it meant getting Republicans to support climate change, but I DO vividly remember you and I, about a year or so ago, going around regarding your contention that the Democrats should ‘compromise’ and stop supporting a woman’s right to an abortion if they were serious about Climate Change. Because, as your argument - facetious or serious - went, Climate Change is so much more a serious issue, so Democrats should be willing to dip out of the fight for a woman’s right to be more than beoodmares for the men around them. At least, if they want Republicans to be willing to accept science and fact on climate change and stop being obstructionist dicks about it.

Which, if we’re being honest, is as COMPLETELY asinine a stance as ‘Democrats should stop supporting gay rights if they want Climate change legislation to get past Republican blockades’, and just as damning of your party’s lack of concern for human rights, ACTUAL lives, or any sort science or reality not paid for by their corporate sponsors AS WELL AS illuminating your party’s willful stupidity and ignorance and it’s abject pettiness and cruelty, so that might be where the confusion lies...
    Last edited by zinderel; 12-10-2019 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    One guy's guess...

While they probably will get around to it, matters that they probably stand to make a buck off of are more pressing business.