Page 1042 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 425429429921032103810391040104110421043104410451046105210921142 ... LastLast
Results 15,616 to 15,630 of 17573
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    The Democratic party has never really cared about black people, or Latinos, or even the white working class for that matter. All they care about are the interests of that tiny minority of educated, urban upper middle class folks who maybe spend a few minutes a day thinking about how awful life must be for those poor minorities in between going to their artisanal cafes and craft breweries. This concern may be genuine but at the end of the day their socioeconomic interests dictate that nothing must fundamentally change if they are to continue living the lifestyles they feel entitled to have.
    So, why did Sanders run as a Democrat (twice) if the party didn't care about minorities? If that's the case, does that mean Sanders doesn't care about minorities too?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    If Biden wins, I'll probably have something to criticize about him something like 2 or 3 times a month. That said, I fully support him, and I might even donate to his campaign if he picks someone like, say, Michigan Governor Gretchen Witmer as his VP.
    Oh, no doubt. I'm sure I'll criticize Biden often, too. But 'criticizing a president' is one thing. 'Living through the lazy tyranny of an idiotic manbaby and his dim-witted sycophants' has been too much. I'd LOVE to have a president I JUST have to criticize, again...
    Last edited by zinderel; 04-09-2020 at 11:08 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    That’s so cynical that is doesn’t even match the reality of the situation, including that the Democratic Party is rapidly becoming a majority-minority party. It’s so unbelievable that someone could think that without applying some massive blinders.
    There's no point in even entertaining this disenginuous argument given the fact that many prominent Democratic politicians -- including our last president -- are Latino, Asian, African-American, Muslim, female and LGBT.

It's the equivalent of saying they don't care about themselves -- a completely dishonest argument stated for effect without concern for truth.

Again -- the reason the vast majority of civil rights legislation does not pass/gets rolled back is because of Republicans -- not Democrats.

Anyone who continues to try to argue otherwise is primarily doing so only to cover for the failings of their own candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Anyone who continues to try to argue otherwise is primarily doing so only to cover for the failings of their own candidate.
    The issue with that is I just wonder how it provides “cover” for your favored politician’s failure to insist that he lost to a candidate who wasn’t even genuine.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    So, why did Sanders run as a Democrat (twice) if the party didn't care about minorities? If that's the case, does that mean Sanders doesn't care about minorities too?
    Because they were closer to the left and running independent would have enabled a more right wing politician to win

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Because they were closer to the left and running independent would have enabled a more right wing politician to win
    Yeah. I mean, in fairness, Sanders was always running against the Democratic Party as this evil, monolithic thing with designs on power at the expense of the innocent and no better than the Republican Party. I guess he just didn’t realize that Democrats typically quite like their party.

Ultimate Member

The issue with that is I just wonder how it provides “cover” for your favored politician’s failure to insist that he lost to a candidate who wasn’t even genuine.
    That's because you're being reasonable.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah. I mean, in fairness, Sanders was always running against the Democratic Party as this evil, monolithic thing with designs on power at the expense of the innocent and no better than the Republican Party. I guess he just didn’t realize that Democrats typically quite like their party.
    About 20% don’t

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    About 20% don’t
    I don’t think I would say even Sanders supporters have the level of disdain for the party that he does. I think that they just genuinely feel like Sanders is the direction that the party should be going, even if the vast majority of those supporting Sanders really like Obama and his party.

Ultimate Member

I don’t think I would say even Sanders supporters have the level of disdain for the party that he does. I think that they just genuinely feel like Sanders is the direction that the party should be going, even if the vast majority of those supporting Sanders really like Obama and his party.
    Part of the problem is depicting it as a generational struggle rather than the passing of a baton.

In that respect, I think both AOC and Pelosi are on the same wavelength and other Democrats should follow their example.

Said passage is also dependent on progressives winning enough votes to support their movement and enact legislation in the future.

The Democratic party shouldn't be held hostage to an ideology that loses elections and that only a minority of it's number support.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 04-09-2020 at 11:29 AM.

Astonishing Member

Voters voted for Biden but Bernie Bros and trump supporters are saying the DNC gave him the nomination. At some point these people have to face reality.

Last edited by TheDarman; 04-09-2020 at 11:34 AM.

BANNED

That’s so cynical that is doesn’t even match the reality of the situation, including that the Democratic Party is rapidly becoming a majority-minority party. It’s so unbelievable that someone could think that without applying some massive blinders.
    Just because the party relies on minorities to win elections doesn't mean they care about their interests. These days they always talk about the importance of the Latino vote, but do you think Biden is really going to campaign on amnesty for undocumented immigrants or abolishing ICE or any of that other stuff that those voters care about but which are deemed completely untenable among DC insiders? Biden is basically offering to do just enough so that we can all stop feeling guilty and pretend like everything's fine, but without actually addressing the root cause of any of our problems in a substantive way. Like oh, maybe he will have a woman as his running mate and then he'll step aside in 2024 so that she can run, and we'll finally have a female president! But none of that really means anything, if neither he nor whoever he chooses has the courage or resolve to actually do anything to improve the condition of women in the face of what will undoubtedly be stiff Republican opposition.

Extraordinary Member

I think it’s a mix just like the Republican Party. There is a contingent that absolutely has disdain for the party leaders. Not the party as a whole but where it is in certain aspects from where it came from. It definitely moved more right in the last 30 years on some platforms and moved more left on others

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Oh, dont forget that Eeeeeevilllll Nancy Pelosi agrees with the letter and wants to put more payments into other packages. Because clearly helping others is the eeeeeevilllllist thing they can do right now.