Page 619 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 1195195696096156166176186196206216226236296697191119 ... LastLast
Results 9,271 to 9,285 of 17573

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    What am I suppose to say other than the truth? I disliked Obama for his policies. He indirectly got my dad an early death. He indirectly caused a lot of my coworkers to lose their doctors and insurance. Prices skyrocketed. Housing skyrocketed as well just before it fell (later to rise again.) These are facts I know because I have either experienced them firsthand myself or seen them happen to others I am close to. I consider the man to have been incompetent at best. Skin color doesn't factor into incompetence. Martin Luther King Jr. was a very intelligent and wise man. Pity he didn't run for President back then.
    Saying you didn't hate Obama because he was black unprompted is a sign that him being black had a part in why you disliked him.

I hate Obama but I have never had to say "but not because he's black".

You're telling on yourself.
    Bernie2020
    Not Me. Us

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The markets are not reacting to Warren or Sanders. Most likely the impact of the Corona Virus.

Also Paul, I'm not a Sanders supporter, but every poll has Sanders beating Trump.
    Never mind that oil & gas exploration and semiconductors took a hit on Friday.

But, yeah...

Let's chalk it up to Elizabeth Warren has magically transformed into Prue Halliwell or something.

Let's get something straight about the Republican Party once and for all. They are not pro-military. They are pro-spending on military armaments. They like every shiny new toy from the military contractors that gets them a kickback into their war-chests. But whenever actual soldiers or sailors need help, where is the Republican Party? When the VA is run poorly, all we get from the Republican Party is lip service. When soldiers return from war with PTSD, what's the Republican response? Is it the compassion they need? No, it's usually some variation of "suck it up" or "walk it off."

The Republican Party sees the American Military as simply the pawns in their power play.

Warren, Biden and Buttigieg dangerously close to going broke

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...funding-116558

Apart from Bernie and the billionaires, the Democratic presidential field is hurting for cash.

Joe Biden, Pete Buttigieg, Amy Klobuchar and Elizabeth Warren each started the month scraping perilously close to the bottom of their campaign bank accounts, posing an existential threat to their candidacies as the Democratic primary goes national.
    Bernie2020
    Not Me. Us

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    This is why Medicare for all is a non-negotiable for me. As a black man, I'm one Cop away from having a bad day death.
    For my sisters, they don't get listened to when it comes to their own health.
    Women, in general, don't often have autonomy over their own bodies. It's sickening.

They told him his WIFE " was just not a priority..." **** kinda system we have here?

Serena Williams almost died to the same ****. Economic justice and racial justice are inextricably tied.
    Lebron James had the N-word sprayed on his home, and he's rich as hell.
    No matter what there will always be a minority of racists. But if you get people on an even playing field there can be a sea change.

Distraught father sues Cedars-Sinai Hospital after his wife dies during childbirth
    Charles Johnson alleges that his wife, Kira, was ignored by medical professionals and she bled internally for nearly 10 hours

This is incredibly sad that she died.
    I don't know what is going on with the health industry. My neighbor who was one of the kindest men I know was killed last year when the hospital nurse refused his wife who had brought him in when he'd started showing stroke behavior. By the time they finally allowed him in the next day he was 99% percent paralyzed and died three months later. I'm now caring for his cat (another abandoned cat) due to this. Is it lack of funds? Overworked employees? We need to figure it out and fast because necessary, preventable deaths are horrible.

However, I don't think Medicare is the answer because Medicare is going bankrupt as it is. I've read before that even if you took all the money from the wealthy and middle class it would still not be near enough to pay for everyone having Medicare. Personally, I'm doing everything I can to not have to go to a hospital for as long as possible. (I know this isn't possible for a lot of people.)

Eating sensible, paying attention to what your body is telling you (warning signs) community charity/assistance programs? Clearly government is incompetent (VA hospital fiascos) so I don't count on government saving me and as I said above some hospitals are not much better either.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbat View Post
    Saying you didn't hate Obama because he was black unprompted is a sign that him being black had a part in why you disliked him.

I phrased it that way because that was the first of many like responses I received whenever I said "I don't like Obama." Not asking me why. Just straight out "oh, you must be a racist!". Seriously. It got old fast so I started right of the bat stating the fact. Now I am being told that I should not state the fact because it sounds suspicious. Would someone please make up their mind on what is the correct way for people to try to keep others from making false assumptions on racism on the fly? I'm not joking here. This is maddening.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Trump is pro-military and by that I mean a military that is there to protect us rather than to subjugate us. Had several relatives and my own dad serve. It was not a fun time for the family for much the same reasons the families of police and fire fighters have a harder time coping: you live in a background state of constant dread. In all my years in California I never had an issue with the police. Nor did any of my relatives (save for the ones who were thieves ) The biggest interaction was when one drugged-out relative came over brandishing a gun and the police officer that arrived very professionally handled the situation without any shots fired. I have nothing but respect for their profession while also knowing that bad officers exist just like there are bad people in any position...part of the human race.
    Trump has no love for veterans. Trump has joked multiple times about deploying the military overseas in exchange for monetary compensation, like the military are a bunch of mercenaries for hire. Trump has abandoned longtime allies overseas, only sending people back in once they had something of value to offer him. Trump has lied about injury to troops, to save face after his own military blunders. Trump has pardoned a known war criminal, and then had the man campaign for him. That last one may do more damage to the image of our military than anything. Trump will never be anything but pro-Trump.

As for the police... Okay, I've tried to be open about my bad history with the police. I've lost people to police violence. I'm aware of my own biases, even in times when I don't want to or know I shouldn't. But I've said before, people who've never dealt with bad cops, who've never lived in areas with bad cops, can't even imagine what it's like. They can't even imagine it's real, it shatters their whole worldview. I can't, I just can't.

Mighty Member

I phrased it that way because that was the first of many like responses I received whenever I said "I don't like Obama." Not asking me why. Just straight out "oh, you must be a racist!". Seriously. It got old fast so I started right of the bat stating the fact. Now I am being told that I should not state the fact because it sounds suspicious. Would someone please make up their mind on what is the correct way for people to try to keep others from making false assumptions on racism on the fly? I'm not joking here. This is maddening.
    For starters understand that people aren't a hivemind and one persons standards aren't anothers.

Extraordinary Member

Warren, Biden and Buttigieg dangerously close to going broke

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...funding-116558

Apart from Bernie and the billionaires, the Democratic presidential field is hurting for cash.

Joe Biden, Pete Buttigieg, Amy Klobuchar and Elizabeth Warren each started the month scraping perilously close to the bottom of their campaign bank accounts, posing an existential threat to their candidacies as the Democratic primary goes national.
    I predict all but Biden drop out after Super Tuesday. Then it will be Sanders facing Biden and Bloomberg who will be in a power struggle jockeying to be the alternative to Sanders.

This is incredibly sad that she died.
    I don't know what is going on with the health industry. My neighbor who was one of the kindest men I know was killed last year when the hospital nurse refused his wife who had brought him in when he'd started showing stroke behavior. By the time they finally allowed him in the next day he was 99% percent paralyzed and died three months later. I'm now caring for his cat (another abandoned cat) due to this. Is it lack of funds? Overworked employees? We need to figure it out and fast because necessary, preventable deaths are horrible.

However, I don't think Medicare is the answer because Medicare is going bankrupt as it is. I've read before that even if you took all the money from the wealthy and middle class it would still not be near enough to pay for everyone having Medicare. Personally, I'm doing everything I can to not have to go to a hospital for as long as possible. (I know this isn't possible for a lot of people.)

Eating sensible, paying attention to what your body is telling you (warning signs) community charity/assistance programs? Clearly government is incompetent (VA hospital fiascos) so I don't count on government saving me and as I said above some hospitals are not much better either.
    Ask yourself, why does every other developed country have Universal Healthcare, insuring all their people at half the cost we do with better outcomes. How does every other modern country do this, but we can't?
    And Medicare is not going broke.
    https://www.cbpp.org/research/health...s-not-bankrupt
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

JUST IN: Roger Stone is moving to force Judge Amy Berman Jackson to recuse herself because she praised the jurors for serving with "integrity."

Stone says she can't rule fairly on his motion for a new trial (based on juror bias) because of this.
    Twitter Link

Well, if Trump thinks he's a king, then Stone must be his court jester.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Ask yourself, why does every other developed country have Universal Healthcare, insuring all their people at half the cost we do with better outcomes. How does every other modern country do this, but we can't?
    And Medicare is not going broke.
    https://www.cbpp.org/research/health...s-not-bankrupt
    For me that more than anything else is a major indictment of our system. We pay more and get less - if we truly had the 'best system in the world' either our life expectancy would be at or near the top (instead of being in the middle of the pack) or what we pay would be much less than other countries. Highest investment, mediocre results is normally called a failure, not the best in the world.
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 02-21-2020 at 09:36 PM.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Trump was not told coronavirus-infected Americans would be flown home from cruise ship

President Trump grew furious with senior advisers this week over a decision to allow 14 Americans who tested positive for coronavirus to return to the United States from Japan after being assured that infected patients would remain in quarantine overseas, according to administration officials.

Trump and the administration’s coronavirus task force were told last Saturday that Americans who had spent weeks in quarantine aboard the Diamond Princess luxury liner where the virus had spread to hundreds of passengers would be brought home on two chartered planes — but that patients who had symptoms or the infection itself would stay in Japan.

Trump was briefed on the decision and agreed that healthy passengers should not be on the plane with sick ones, three senior administration officials said. But the State Department and a top U.S. health official ultimately decided to bring back the 14 Americans who tested positive for the virus on the planes and place them in isolation — without informing the president first.
    Trump learned of the decision only after the fact and was angry that he wasn’t consulted first, complaining that the decision could damage his administration’s handling of the response, according to administration officials familiar with the situation, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private conversations. Some members of the task force were not told in advance that the infected people would be placed on the plane and learned that only after the plane was on its way back to the United States.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Someone decided to put a rock through the window here at the Bernie Seattle headquarters tonight.

Everyone is okay and we’ll be here sweeping up the pieces and applying plywood.

We take our cues from Bernie; our campaign is nothing if not resilient.

https://twitter.com/eyesonthestorm/s...62976855080961
    Bernie2020
    Not Me. Us

I cannot speak to this particular case but there was and is a lot of "You're a racist the moment you criticize Obama". So there is a natural tendency for people to begin any criticism with such a statement as it's not because he's black. Angie Harmon stated that the thing that infuriated her the most was that, the moment you criticize Obama's policies, you get that accusation thrown at you.

I support Obama's policies and think it is obvious that the detrimental aspects of his policies were because he had to compromise with Republicans who didn't want national health care at all. But, notice that I feel compelled to state that I supported Obama specifically because saying the slightest thing against him is inviting that racist accusation.
    Power with Girl is better.