Page 1005 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 5505905955995100110021003100410051006100710081009101510551105 ... LastLast
Results 15,061 to 15,075 of 17573
  1. #15061
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Let me ask you one. more. time.

    Tell me Steel, what can voters expect once Democrats take power if they do. What are they going to do to help people?
    We've had the house since 2018, and what have they actually done to help us? Had this virus not come along, we wouldn't have even gotten these crumbs.
    Intriguing. Rather than respond with a full throated robust argument about Sanders ideology with reasons why you think they're superior you doubled down on tearing the opposition down. They've been helping people since they got elected, but that comes with limitations since the GOP have more power than they do. Something you avoid acknowledging, as that weakens your context.

    Are you even a socialist?

    Your defence is that America is in a stronger position because of the coronavirus? Ok.

    You'd be getting the least amount with Sanders, too, as I've explained. But we both know this would dilute your argument that Sanders is going to change the system by himself.

    What do the American people have to look forward to?

    Normalcy? Lol.
    That you think this is a joke is very telling.

  2. #15062
    Mighty Member TheDarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    So when the Republicans didn't have any power and still got things done. What's your excuse about that?

    When the Democrats had power and didn't get anything done, what's your excuse for that?
    When Democrats aren't in the minority how can they say they'll do things, NEXT TIME over and over, and expect people to keep voting when they do nothing, when they have power?

    Republicans are fighters, and Democrats are not.
    Democrats aren’t a collective unit. The Republicans aren’t even a collective unit—Paul Ryan and John Boehner were actively fighting with the Tea Party quite often. Republicans, however, have been able to get stuff done because the Tea Party just wants MORE extreme things than standard Republicans want. But the Tea Party would never be able to successfully govern because it couldn’t get support from even intraparty forces. Progressives, I hate to say it, are more like the Tea Party than the Establishment Republicans. Progressives will support bread crumbs because bread crumbs are better than nothing. Moderates like Joseph Lieberman will only accept bread crumbs.

    Democrats and Republicans are a lot alike in ideological structure. And Democrats do get stuff done. You just find Republicans to accomplish goals that are anti-thetical to yours and I don’t think there is recognition of how much worse a Tea Party bill would be. And Republicans view moderate Democrat proposals in the same light—as only being different at the margins from Sanders’ proposals. In actuality, both are keeping their extremes pretty much at bay.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

  3. #15063
    Mighty Member TheDarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    That's definitely not it. But keep trying.
    Based on what? Internal party polling? The same polling that shows the guy Sanders wanted primaried in 2012 as the most unifyingly popular politician in the party by a wide margin?
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

  4. #15064
    Paranoid Android ChadH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Incertisque loci...incerto tempore
    Posts
    2,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Honestly if anybody has expendable money they should buy right now. Iíve been on the phone with my broker all day. Look at cruise lines. They are at 30 year lows
    I'd advise people to considering opening a ROTH IRA. Max it out if you have the disposable income.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners Thread So much winning!!

    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
    "Being politically incorrect shouldn't be a matter of pride. It's the last gasp of the wrong side of history." - Unknown
    "By all means, compare these s**t-heads to Nazis." - Mike Godwin referring to the protesters in Charlottesville.

  5. #15065
    Extraordinary Member Tendrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I'd advise people to considering opening a ROTH IRA. Max it out if you have the disposable income.
    Man, wish I coiuld.

  6. #15066
    Horrific Experiment JCAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Man, wish I coiuld.
    I barely have the disposable income for groceries, but it's good to know that the wealth gap will come through the apocalypse unscratched.

  7. #15067
    Extraordinary Member Tendrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    I barely have the disposable income for groceries, but it's good to know that the wealth gap will come through the apocalypse unscratched.
    If anything it'll be even worse.

  8. #15068
    Extraordinary Member Tendrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,611

    Default

    Sen. Kelly Loeffler just disclosed more stock trades, including shares in retail companies she sold and ones she bought in Dupont, which makes medical supplies, The Atlanta-Journal Constitution reported.
    After she attended a January 24 closed-door briefing on the COVID-19 outbreak, Loeffler dumped hundreds of thousands of dollars in stocks while also buying up shares in telecommuting software.
    Loeffler and her representatives have rejected criticism that she used her position in the Senate and access to top information to dump stocks before the market plummeted, saying neither she nor her husband have direct control over their portfolios.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/disclosur...165432001.html

  9. #15069
    Mighty Member TheDarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,113
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

  10. #15070
    Mighty Member SquirrelMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Honestly if anybody has expendable money they should buy right now. Iíve been on the phone with my broker all day. Look at cruise lines. They are at 30 year lows
    The cruise industry will never come back the way it used to be. They suffered the double whammy of being horrible for the environment and actually killing their customers.

    I am willing to eat my words later if I turn out to be wrong, but I think investing in cruise lines would be a huge mistake.

  11. #15071
    Mighty Member SquirrelMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    Maybe itís because people like the message, but not the messenger.
    He really could smile a little more.

  12. #15072
    Mighty Member SquirrelMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I can say that Sanders didn't have the hurdle of a 20+ year smear campaign against him, but conversely he had the hurdle of 'Socialism'. I don't know if the fact that anything that either helps people or the Republicans don't like gets tarred as 'socialism' has finally deadened people to the attack outside of the younger, less reliable voters. In 2 more election cycles I doubt the word will affect anyone who wasn't already voting Republican anyways, but for now it still has at least some effect on swing voters. So maybe it's a wash?
    Socialism was never the only strike against him. There was SO much material Cambridge Analytica could have weaponized:

    - the fact that he never passed any bills other than naming 2 post offices

    - him literally being a career politician (unlike Trump) who never had a job outside politics

    - voting against the Brady Bill repeatedly, basically being the NRA's favorite socialist

    - dumping nuclear waste on disadvantaged hispanics

    - voting for the crime bill and using the vote to campaign on how he is "tough on crime" for years later

    - being for the crime bill by being against it, a Schroedinger's flip-flop

    - honeymooning in the Soviet Union

    - support for ruthless dictaroships

    - being a deadbeat dad

    - palling around with gun-toting, anti-establishment drug producers until they kicked him out for being lazy

    - rape fantasy essay

    - thinking all drug dealers are black

    - his wife's shady financing scandals

    - his plans to primary the first black President

    - the Kibbutz he attended literally having Stalinist roots.

    ...

    That is all just off the top of my head, without using google.

  13. #15073
    Astonishing Member jetengine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    2,831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    Socialism was never the only strike against him. There was SO much material Cambridge Analytica could have weaponized:

    - the fact that he never passed any bills other than naming 2 post offices

    - him literally being a career politician (unlike Trump) who never had a job outside politics

    - voting against the Brady Bill repeatedly, basically being the NRA's favorite socialist

    - dumping nuclear waste on disadvantaged hispanics

    - voting for the crime bill and using the vote to campaign on how he is "tough on crime" for years later

    - being for the crime bill by being against it, a Schroedinger's flip-flop

    - honeymooning in the Soviet Union

    - support for ruthless dictaroships

    - being a deadbeat dad

    - palling around with gun-toting, anti-establishment drug producers until they kicked him out for being lazy

    - rape fantasy essay

    - thinking all drug dealers are black

    - his wife's shady financing scandals

    - his plans to primary the first black President

    - the Kibbutz he attended literally having Stalinist roots.

    ...

    That is all just off the top of my head, without using google.
    And whilst some of it may have more context (such as how the crime bill was asked for by majority of black community leaders) you know it'll be presented as black and white

  14. #15074
    Mighty Member SquirrelMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,785

    Default

    Wow, I had totally forgotten about the insider trading scandal. When was that, 4 months ago? 40?

  15. #15075
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    20,963

    Default

    Coronavirus Deaths Mount In New York

    The statewide death toll from the coronavirus doubled in 72 hours to more than 1,900.

    **********

    Trump Spends First Half Of Coronavirus Briefing Discussing War On Drugs

    The president warned that drug cartels were working to “exploit” the country as officials said more than 4,000 people had been killed by COVID-19. It's no secret Trump is using these daily virus pressers as a substitute for his moronic rallies, so I'm not surprised he works in nonsensical stuff here and there.

    **********

    California Governor Urges Other States To Issue Coronavirus Stay-At-Home Orders

    “What are you waiting for?” Gavin Newsom said, as more than a dozen states still lack stay-at-home orders amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

    **********

    Newborn With Coronavirus Dies In Connecticut

    The 6-week-old infant is thought to be one of the world’s youngest to die from COVID-19.

    **********

    Why We Waited So Long To Take The Coronavirus Seriously

    A psychologist explains why people spilled onto bar patios when they should have been inside.

    **********

    Georgia Senator Hospitalized For COVID-19 Went To Florida Beach House To Recover

    State Sen. Bruce Thompson, who vowed to stay home after testing positive for the coronavirus, ignored orders to stay away, Franklin County’s sheriff said. Assclowns like him (a Republican of course) need to be arrested for that fool stunt!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •