Page 1043 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 435439439931033103910401041104210431044104510461047105310931143 ... LastLast
Results 15,631 to 15,645 of 17573
    Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

In honesty I think a lot of the apathy in voting comes from the whole culture of "voting is for old people " that seems to have come about over the years. Wonder if rights were taken away from those that are against voting, sure as hell they would want them back.

As I've seen people that dont have the right to do something then get that right tend to end up being the most vocal on keeping that right.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    In honesty I think a lot of the apathy in voting comes from the whole culture of "voting is for old people " that seems to have come about over the years. Wonder if rights were taken away from those that are against voting, sure as hell they would want them back.

As I've seen people that dont have the right to do something then get that right tend to end up being the most vocal on keeping that right.
    I think it comes more from the two party system and the electoral college that does winner take all states. It’s demotivating to be a Republican in California or a Democrat in Texas and know it’s likely not only a losing effort but it won’t even count towards the total. Then people carry that mentality around with them.

Also quite frankly, America as a country doesn’t value voting. It’s much easier for old retired people to get up and wait in line all day as opposed to a young professional that might have to work except for a couple hours at the end of the day before polls closed. I always vote but this year was incredibly difficult for me. Enough so that I get not wanting to do it if you either don’t like your options or feel that the chance of it mattering is minimal

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I absolutely despise people who don’t vote out of apathy. In September 1992, my mother was diagnosed with lung cancer, but November, she was bedridden, but insisted I come to the hospital and drive her to the polling place so she could vote, even though she could barely walk, that’s how determined she was to make her voice heard. She died in early January before Bill Clinton was sworn in, but her devotion to voting stuck with me to this day and is why I can’t stand people who take their right to vote lightly or don’t bother with it at all.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I absolutely despise people who don’t vote out of apathy. In September 1992, my mother was diagnosed with lung cancer, but November, she was bedridden, but insisted I come to the hospital and drive her to the polling place so she could vote, even though she could barely walk, that’s how determined she was to make her voice heard. She died in early January before Bill Clinton was sworn in, but her devotion to voting stuck with me to this day and is why I can’t stand people who take their right to vote lightly or don’t bother with it at all.
    And several red states want to make what you did that day a crime.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    The Democratic party has never really cared about black people, or Latinos, or even the white working class for that matter. All they care about are the interests of that tiny minority of educated, urban upper middle class folks who maybe spend a few minutes a day thinking about how awful life must be for those poor minorities in between going to their artisanal cafes and craft breweries. This concern may be genuine but at the end of the day their socioeconomic interests dictate that nothing must fundamentally change if they are to continue living the lifestyles they feel entitled to have.

Most of the issues Blacks and Latinos bring up are issues that affect EVERYBODY not just them.

Cops have used white folks for target practice for years at double the rate of blacks. Yet who is marching in the streets?

White folks abuse drugs more than anyone. In Texas WHITE MEN lead in prison time for procession of drugs. Yet Who is pushing for drug reform and decriminalization?

Fox News and that lot feed their nonsense to those who do not RESEARCH and fan flames of ignorance. Trying to paint something as a black issue for ratings.

Ultimate Member

See folks don't understand consequences.

And don't understand that EVERY election counts. One of the issue we have here in Dallas is black folks only going to the polls during Presidential Elections.

Then want to scream why Obama is not doing anything for "them". They have to be reminded that Congress seats have to be voted on.

Or why you got so many old folks in office. Because they won't vote for the younger ones that they claim they support.

We have had plenty pf crooks stay in office because of a lack of voting.

It also doesn't help when you got folks with influence blowing off voting like a certain former quarterback from San Fransisco. Think he wants a doever since Trump wnet after him again once in office and the rest is history.

You know, there’s a difference between Wanting to change the system and burning down the house with all the people inside

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MacrossPlus View Post
    You know, there’s a difference between Wanting to change the system and burning down the house with all the people inside
    What if the house were structurally instable and both a hazard to its own residents and an eyesore for everyone in the neighborhood and really should be bulldozed in the interest of public safety, but the curmudgeonly owners refuse to leave because goshdarnit they're not going to let the gubmint tell them what they can and can't do with their own property! Do you just sit back and let it collapse on its own, or do you announce firmly that this house will be destroyed with or without the owners' approval, and so it's best that they get out while they can?
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 04-09-2020 at 01:27 PM.

What if the house were structurally instable and both a hazard to its own residents and an eyesore for everyone in the neighborhood and really should be bulldozed in the interest of public safety, but the curmudgeonly owners refuse to leave because goshdarnit they're not going to let the gubmint tell them what they can and can't do with their own property! Do you just sit back and let it collapse on its own, or do you announce firmly that this house will be destroyed with or without the owners' approval, and so it's best that they get out while they can?
    Stop making excuses, your not going to vote. We know that.
    At this point your just trying to convince yourself thst shooting yourself in the foot is a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I think it comes more from the two party system and the electoral college that does winner take all states. It’s demotivating to be a Republican in California or a Democrat in Texas and know it’s likely not only a losing effort but it won’t even count towards the total. Then people carry that mentality around with them.

Also quite frankly, America as a country doesn’t value voting. It’s much easier for old retired people to get up and wait in line all day as opposed to a young professional that might have to work except for a couple hours at the end of the day before polls closed. I always vote but this year was incredibly difficult for me. Enough so that I get not wanting to do it if you either don’t like your options or feel that the chance of it mattering is minimal
    Even in California as a Republican, what you are saying only applies to the presidency. There are tons of things to vote on (local, regional, etc.) on every ballot besides that. And, lets face it, the face in Washington at any given time has a lot less influence on local happenings than those other things to vote on will have.

People who don't vote are just dumb, uneducated, lazy and foolish.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Even in California as a Republican, what you are saying only applies to the presidency. There are tons of things to vote on (local, regional, etc.) on every ballot besides that. And, lets face it, the face in Washington at any given time has a lot less influence on local happenings than those other things to vote on will have.

People who don't vote are just dumb, uneducated, lazy and foolish.
    Can we get a poll of how many Americans know who their congressmen is? It’s a deeply stupid country

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

You still should not bulldoze it with the people in it, Pwrd.

You should be ashamed of yourself for advocating genocide, actually.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Federal support to end for coronavirus testing sites

(CNN)The Trump administration is pulling back federal support of testing sites by the end of the week, according to the Federal Emergency Management Agency, amid ongoing concerns over testing shortages nationwide.

The so-called Community-Based Testing Sites program was intended to jumpstart initial testing capabilities to critical areas across the US, according to the agency. But given FDA approval for individuals to self-administer nasal swab tests at sites, the demand for personal protective equipment and trained health care providers will be reduced, a FEMA spokesperson said in a statement.

The move has received mixed reactions. While some localities may need federal support, others have already moved toward managing their own sites.

"The federal involvement was they provided the test kits. As of last week, they were no longer involved and left all of the test kits to use as we deemed appropriate," Georgia's Department of Public Health said in a statement, noting that the state has been managing two of these sites.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Trump takes break from coronavirus crisis to sign order for US to mine the moon

Huh?

Donald Trump paused his efforts around the growing coronavirus crisis to sign an executive order clearing the path for US to mine the moon for resources.

According to documents released by the White House, the order rejects the 1979 global agreement known as the Moon Treaty which says any activity in space should conform with international law.
    "Americans should have the right to engage in commercial exploration, recovery, and use of resources in outer space," the order states.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

The defeatist tone coming from some on the left is buffoonish to me.
    It’s the whole Democrats fall in love, Republicans fall in line cliche played out in real time. Some on the left tend to carry an all or nothing approach to politics that I feel is ultimately destructive to their cause. Republicans tend to be way more pragmatic and tend to take a more long term view of getting stuff done. Trust me their are a lot of Republicans who don’t care for Trump but vote for him anyway, because they feel he’ll get some of their goals done. That why if you look at the last 50 years of politics conservatives tend to win. Liberals tend to gravitate around charismatic leaders, and falter when their candidate is some average, but functional Joe (pun intended). Conservatives can go ether way. By the time the general election comes along the Democratic primaries have already done half of the GOP’s job for them.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 04-09-2020 at 03:01 PM.