Page 1046 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 465469469961036104210431044104510461047104810491050105610961146 ... LastLast
Results 15,676 to 15,690 of 17573

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post

The perfect microcosm of what went wrong with Sanders' campaign.
    Yeah, this isn’t even close to the main problems plaguing Sanders’ campaign and its strategy. Certainly, establishment media personalities were more dismissive of Sanders than Biden—but they were more “fair” than they were to him in 2016, when he performed much better then than he did against Biden.

Here’s a much better analysis of what went wrong for Sanders and his campaign that is supported by the data and what the strategy actually was.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    The fact that there are democratic governors in a number of states that weren't there in 2016 is a huge boon to Biden as well. It's not to be underestimated.
    At the very least, it makes it more difficult to implement more voter suppression practices in states like Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. And it proves Democrats can be insanely competitive in these states still under Trump. One precaution, though, is there was historic mid-term turnout so there isn’t the “Democrats only show up during presidential election years” to suggest Democrats will perform better. Another is that, while Trump’s government was on the ballot, Trump, himself, wasn’t. It remains to be seen if, like Obama, he elevates himself and his party when he is on the ballot or not.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    Yeah, this isn’t even close to the main problems plaguing Sanders’ campaign and its strategy. Certainly, establishment media personalities were more dismissive of Sanders than Biden—but they were more “fair” than they were to him in 2016, when he performed much better then than he did against Biden.

Here’s a much better analysis of what went wrong for Sanders and his campaign that is supported by the data and what the strategy actually was.
    It wasn't meant to be an in depth analysis, rather a light hearted surface level example of how Sanders and his campaign failed. For example, blaming the establishment for everything going wrong, lack of self awareness and introspection, blaming the media and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    It wasn't meant to be an in depth analysis, rather a light hearted surface level example of how Sanders and his campaign failed. For example, blaming the establishment for everything going wrong, lack of self awareness and introspection, blaming the media and so on.
    To be fair, I think there was more fair analysis in there that was just too surface level. Cenk made the point that Sanders’ campaign should’ve made “moderates more comfortable”. That seems to be an indirect line of attack on Sanders’ campaign message that they will be an existential threat to the Democratic Party as it stands rather than insisting he was in this fight to reform the party. I think that people would’ve been a lot more receptive to a reformer (like Obama sold himself as in 2008—and, in many respects, he did) rather than a destroyer (which Sanders sold himself as).

Of course that wasn’t all of his problems. Another one of Sanders’ problems was counting on a divided field through the convention. It was never a granted that that would be the case. And, yes, we saw that Sanders was correct that he could lead a crowded field, particularly as other folks who sold themselves as more progressive (like Booker and Harris) were pushed out, but it clearly became a different ball game with ideological consolidation. His campaign should’ve had contingencies AND been focusing on broadening his appeal after three (disputed, but still) straight wins heading into South Carolina.

The media was an important factor and I do think that they are buying into traditional ideas and conventional wisdom that I think is fair to assume is probably a little outdated. But strong candidates, even those like Trump, can overcome that. Of course, Trump had the advantage of winner-take-all primary states awarding a windfall of delegates even if you win by a point or two. Bernie Sanders always had a steeper path and the Democratic Party is more of a hodge-podge of competing interests than the Republican Party.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey5640 View Post
    Typically, there is no details as to how to pay for any of this. As always it will be by raising taxes and taking money out of American's pockets, because Dem truly believe it is "fairer" for the government to spend money rather than the people who actually work to earn it. Also colleges will LOVE student debt forgiveness. They'll raise tuition rates even faster and higher than they have been, knowing it will be paid for. Funny how the Dems never ask the colleges WHY do they raise tuition so frequently? Where is this tuition money going?
    You dont understand how society works do you ? If you want the benefits of the 21st century you have to actually pay for them, now since paying onnan individual basis whilst you pick and choose what you want is ridiculous and unwieldy theres this handy dandy blanket payment called "Tax". Its pretty good if you actually pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    To be fair, I think there was more fair analysis in there that was just too surface level. Cenk made the point that Sanders’ campaign should’ve made “moderates more comfortable”. That seems to be an indirect line of attack on Sanders’ campaign message that they will be an existential threat to the Democratic Party as it stands rather than insisting he was in this fight to reform the party. I think that people would’ve been a lot more receptive to a reformer (like Obama sold himself as in 2008—and, in many respects, he did) rather than a destroyer (which Sanders sold himself as).

Of course that wasn’t all of his problems. Another one of Sanders’ problems was counting on a divided field through the convention. It was never a granted that that would be the case. And, yes, we saw that Sanders was correct that he could lead a crowded field, particularly as other folks who sold themselves as more progressive (like Booker and Harris) were pushed out, but it clearly became a different ball game with ideological consolidation. His campaign should’ve had contingencies AND been focusing on broadening his appeal after three (disputed, but still) straight wins heading into South Carolina.

The media was an important factor and I do think that they are buying into traditional ideas and conventional wisdom that I think is fair to assume is probably a little outdated. But strong candidates, even those like Trump, can overcome that. Of course, Trump had the advantage of winner-take-all primary states awarding a windfall of delegates even if you win by a point or two. Bernie Sanders always had a steeper path and the Democratic Party is more of a hodge-podge of competing interests than the Republican Party.
    Considering we literally had posters on here saying "Bernies going to win and we will force you to bend the knee as we burn the establishment to the ground" its understandable why the more moderate crowd would flock anywhere but Bernie

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Considering we literally had posters on here saying "Bernies going to win and we will force you to bend the knee as we burn the establishment to the ground" its understandable why the more moderate crowd would flock anywhere but Bernie
    Winning hearts and minds:

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Some Churches Plan To Challenge Coronavirus Restrictions On Easter

Most churches are livestreaming Easter Sunday services — but some are planning to defy government restrictions on in-person gatherings. Well, let's hope their invisible sky king will protect those idiots from coronavirus.

Drone Footage Shows Apparent Coronavirus Mass Grave At New York City’s Hart Island

More than 4,400 people have died of the COVID-19 infection in the city, the epicenter of the pandemic.

Medical Workers Wear Pics Of Themselves Smiling To Comfort COVID-19 Patients

Doctors and nurses on the frontlines of the coronavirus pandemic are putting the photos on their protective suits to reassure patients.

As Universities Warned Students Of Virus, Liberty Kept Its Students In The Dark

HuffPost found that the evangelical college led by Jerry Falwell Jr. gave little to no information to students in the early weeks of March, flouting CDC guidelines.

Fauci Warns Going Back To Normal Won’t ‘Be A Light Switch That You Turn On And Off’

It’s too early to think about life after the pandemic, infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci said, urging Americans to continue social distancing.

Fox News Host Jedediah Bila Diagnosed With COVID-19 After Colleagues Blow Off Pandemic

She is mending at home with her husband and thanked God her infant son did not get sick.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    New FoxNews poll has him tied with Biden, while other polls give Biden a double digit lead.
    Yes, I’m aware. However this poll isn’t to gauge how Trump would do in the general election against Biden, it’s about showing Trump’s inability to gain the “rally behind the leader in the face of a great crisis” boost that increased other president’s who were pulling the country through a crisis’s approval ratings in the past. His approval rating is still the lowest it’s ever been in spite of this. That’s quite irregular. Even presidents like Bush, saw their approval ratings shoot up to 90 percent thanks to how he handled the 9/11 recovery. Of course things are subject to change, and Trump can still possibly win the election but at the moment it’s not the sure thing as some have thought it would be. If this virus situation wasn’t happening, Trump’s chances of re-election would be much stronger than they are now. If anything, Trump’s biggest opponent in the general election isn’t Biden but the virus itself. It’s a testament to how uniquely bad Trump’s presidency is, and how much he’s dropped the ball as a leader. And not to mention, the economy is tanking hard so his re-election chances are definitely more of a coin toss.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 04-10-2020 at 04:12 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Yes, I’m aware. However this poll isn’t to gauge how Trump would do in the general election against Biden, it’s about showing Trump’s inability to gain the “rally behind the leader in the face of a great crisis” boost that increased other president’s approval ratings in the past. His approval rating is still the lowest it’s ever been in spite of this. That’s quite irregular. Even presidents like Bush, saw their approval ratings shoot up to 90 percent thanks to how he handled the 9/11 recovery. Of course things are subject to change, and Trump can still possibly win the election but at the moment it’s not the sure thing as some have thought it would be. If this virus situation wasn’t happening, Trump’s chances of re-election would be much stronger than they are now. If anything, Trump’s biggest opponent in the general election isn’t Biden but the virus itself. It’s a testament to how uniquely bad Trump’s presidency is, and how much he’s dropped the ball as a leader. And not to mention, the economy is tanking hard so his re-election chances are definitely more of a coin toss.
    All in all I don't want to jinx it, and incumbents are hard to beat historically, but I think this might be a big win for Democrats. Of course, they will have to deal with Trumpian courts for decades.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

All in all I don't want to jinx it, and incumbents are hard to beat historically, but I think this might be a big win for Democrats. Of course, they will have to deal with Trumpian courts for decades.
    Exactly. Moscow Mitch was playing the long game from jump street, knowing there was a possibility, if not probability Republicans can lose both the presidency and the Senate in November, thus the relentless judge stacking so conservatives can keep their country ruining agenda intact.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

No they don't. Judges can be impeached. Judges can be removed from office. It's even easier to do if they aren't, and were never qualified for the job and/or have questionable backgrounds.

It's not like Democrats are going to hunt down and take out every last one fo them, but if Dems get control of Congress and the WH, I am certain that the Judiciary Committees in the House and Senate will be doing over-site and review of every judge pushed through by McConnell.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

I'm not sure I'd say this would be a BIG win for either candidate. I'm still getting a sort of "choosing between the lesser of 2 evils" vibe out of this election.

But I will say prior to the coronavirus I was predicting a big win for Trump, as one would expect with an incumbent president when the economy and jobs are doing pretty well. Now it's a whole new ball game. For the democrats to have a real shot, Trump needed an opportunity to really shoot himself in the foot in a BIG way and that's exactly what we got.

November is still a long ways away, so Trump still has time to rally or dig himself in a deeper hole. BUt honestly the same can be said for Biden. Between the sexual assault allegations and the possibly of him forgeting what day or the week it is or what position he's actually campaining for, he can potentially shoot himself in the foot just as easily as Trump can.

Either way, this has gotta be the cringiest election in US history.

How is Biden in anyway "the lesser of two evils". Just because your candidate did not get the nomination doesn't make the one who did bad.
    A look at Biden's platform shows he is anything but "almost Trump". That is just nonsense.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    You dont understand how society works do you ? If you want the benefits of the 21st century you have to actually pay for them, now since paying onnan individual basis whilst you pick and choose what you want is ridiculous and unwieldy theres this handy dandy blanket payment called "Tax". Its pretty good if you actually pay for it.
    I understand that this country became great because of individuals striving to be better rather than because of government programs. If by "benefits of the 21st century" you mean having government run single payer healthcare, no I don't want it, I like having choice and competition that drives innovation and advances techniques and treatments. If you mean getting a check from the government every month just for breathing, no I don't want it, I actually don't mind working for my money. If you mean having the government pay off my loans, no I don't want it, it was my choice to take a loan and it's my responsibility to pay it back, I'm good with that. I'm good with my taxes going to things like defense, infrastructure and safety nets like Medicaid and Medicare for those who actually need it. I don't need to pay for someone's abortion, birth control, sex change or college education.