Page 1085 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 855859851035107510811082108310841085108610871088108910951135 ... LastLast
Results 16,261 to 16,275 of 17573
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Geez... that's all kinds of messed up.

I guess in China they don't have to worry about the backlash to that sort of thing.
    China is problematic and it gets hidden a lot by the power of their government and the fear a lot of nations have in starting conflicts with them. Same with Saudis Arabia. They are the nation state version of “too big to fail”

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Obama ran as anti-gay the first time he ran. Not too Progressive!
    Wow.
    Alternate facts.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Eh...I don't know if I'd call that high. I can't say for certain that Harris would hurt Biden with black voters, but I don't think that she would be a draw for that demo.
    Respectfully, pleading ignorance to data because you don’t like what it says or how it fits with your or your peers’ world view is exactly why we have a bunch of people throwing a tantrum by people voting for Biden as the most electable candidate. The data supported that proposition at the time. Things can change, certainly, but all we can is make the best decisions we can based on the current context. None of us can predict the future.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Wow.
    Alternate facts.
    Th only "anti-gay" thing about Obama in 2008 was that he was against gay marriage. Of course, the fact that it was Biden who got Obama to change his mind on that one speaks pretty well of Biden, doesn't it?
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Th only "anti-gay" thing about Obama in 2008 was that he was against gay marriage. Of course, the fact that it was Biden who got Obama to change his mind on that one speaks pretty well of Biden, doesn't it?
    I’m pretty sure there were speeches Obama gave in the ‘90s in support of gay marriage. The issue is that promoting that idea at the time, even in a Democratic primary, was political suicide. We offered civil unions, but not formal recognized marriage to keep the religious folks comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    I’m pretty sure there were speeches Obama gave in the ‘90s in support of gay marriage. The issue is that promoting that idea at the time, even in a Democratic primary, was political suicide. We offered civil unions, but not formal recognized marriage to keep the religious folks comfortable.
    In the 90's? Obama wasn't even in public office back then. I'd like to see a link to those speeches.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Just because some choose to be ignorant doesn't mean it should be the status quo -- the election of Trump has taught many voters that fact.

I couldn't care less if some voters don't like Kamala because she's a prosecutor especially since that's one of the main reasons I like her.

It's not about finding the perfect candidate, the most popular candidate or the most "black" candidate -- it's about nominating the most qualified candidate who can do the job that he or she is supposed to do once elected into office.

Harris fits that profile -- not exclusively, but more so than most of the other nominees given his specifications and needs.

Even if your criticism is that she's a "cop" then who better to take down a criminal cabal like the Republican party.

On a side note, when you bring up her marrying a white man I can't help but wonder what they might think of Misty Knight.
    That group RARELY brings that up when black woman get nonblack men.
    That group was ready to boycott Black Panther over Michael B Jordan RUMORED to have a nonblack girlfriend.
    That group cherry picks RAGE.

And yet Obama did more then any progressive so far.

Weird that.
    It's about HOW you do it.

Just because some choose to be ignorant doesn't mean it should be the status quo -- the election of Trump has taught many voters that fact.

I couldn't care less if some voters don't like Kamala because she's a prosecutor especially since that's one of the main reasons I like her.

It's not about finding the perfect candidate, the most popular candidate or the most "black" candidate -- it's about nominating the most qualified candidate who can do the job that he or she is supposed to do once elected into office.

Harris fits that profile -- not exclusively, but more so than most of the other nominees given his specifications and needs.

Even if your criticism is that she's a "cop" then who better to take down a criminal cabal like the Republican party.

On a side note, when you bring up her marrying a white man I can't help but wonder what they might think of Misty Knight.
    She was also a sex crimes prosecutor before she got District Attorney and Attorney General jobs (essentially a big office with a lot of people working with differing legal opinions to make the lawful arrests made by the police stick). So, regardless of the fact that she may have put black men in jail, I think we are far more concerned with ensuring that those who commit sex crimes go to jail. After that, her record is fairly progressive at reducing criminal convictions for drug-related offenses (while marijuana was still illegal in the state mind you) and she fought a popularly voted Proposition restricting LGBTQIA+ folks from particular rights. Does she have issues? Sure. But who has no issues with a record longer than a single day in politics. As we see with Trump, it doesn’t take long to make a mistake if you are a complete amateur in the field.

In the 90's? Obama wasn't even in public office back then. I'd like to see a link to those speeches.
    I can try to find those, but here is David Axelrod admitting that he told Obama to conceal support for gay marriage in 2008 as a result of political opposition to the practice:

https://time.com/3702584/gay-marriage-axelrod-obama/

Here’s a more thorough account on how Obama “evolved” (changed his public stance to win elections) on the issue:

https://time.com/3816952/obama-gay-l...r-lgbt-rights/
    Last edited by TheDarman; 04-16-2020 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    China is problematic and it gets hidden a lot by the power of their government and the fear a lot of nations have in starting conflicts with them. Same with Saudis Arabia. They are the nation state version of “too big to fail”
    Also the whole "Dont be mean to china, its just Sinophobia"

No.

China is fucking awful.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    That group RARELY brings that up when black woman get nonblack men.
    That group was ready to boycott Black Panther over Michael B Jordan RUMORED to have a nonblack girlfriend.
    That group cherry picks RAGE.
    I'm inclined to think "That group" isn't going to be happy no matter what is said or done which begs the question: why bother?
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Ultimate Member

1996: Obama supports domestic partnerships and same-sex marriage—at least according to the paper trail

In one campaign questionnaire that Obama filled out when running for the Illinois state Senate, he states that he supports domestic partnerships and adding sexual orientation to the Human Rights Act, the state’s civil rights law. He also says that he supports affirmative action for gays and lesbians.

1998: Obama is 'undecided' about same-sex marriage

Seeking reelection in Illinois, Obama fills out another questionnaire for Outlines, which the Windy City Times published in 2009. This time he says he is “undecided” whether he supports legalizing same-sex marriage or repealing an Illinois law prohibiting it.

2004: Obama supports civil unions and civil rights for gays and lesbians—but insists that marriage is not a basic civil right

“Marriage is between a man and a woman,” Obama says in an interview on Chicago public television during his U.S. Senate campaign, adding, “but what I also believe is that we have an obligation to make sure that gays and lesbians have the rights of citizenship that afford them visitations to hospitals, that allow them to transfer property to each other, to make sure they’re not discriminated against on the job.”

May 2012: Obama becomes the first president to support same-sex marriage

After Vice President Joe Biden announces his support for same-sex marriage, Obama is forced to move up a planned announcement of his change in position. In an interview with ABC’s Robin Roberts, Obama says he has changed his mind. “At a certain point,” he said, “I've just concluded that — for me personally, it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that — I think same-sex couples should be able to get married.
    So thedarman was right for a time Obama did not support same sex marriages. He supported civil unions.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    I can try to find those, but here is David Axelrod admitting that he told Obama to conceal support for gay marriage in 2008 as a result of political opposition to the practice:

https://time.com/3702584/gay-marriage-axelrod-obama/

Here’s a more thorough account on how Obama “evolved” (changed his public stance to win elections) on the issue:

Let's be real -- thanks to "conservatives" saying that out loud back then was a good way not to win a national election.

As was pointed out earlier -- it's better to be quiet and get things done than to be loud and achieve little to nothing in the process.

Invincible Member

A lot of people voted for Obama for the same reason...he was a fresh face they thought would shake up the status quo.

I was just pointing out that her being a prosecutor is one of the things some black people have against her. It's not an plus for many working class and poor people.

Most people democrat or republican don't care about "perfect" candidates. That's really a non-issue.

It's not my criticism that she's a "cop" but a significant number of people feel that way.

About Misty Knight, a number of them would think that it's another attempt by the establishment to destroy black on black relationships.

Look, I'm not trying to bash Harris. It's just that I don't think that if the purpose is specifically to attract more black voters who weren't already going to vote for Biden, she's not that person.