Page 1103 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 10360310031053109310991100110111021103110411051106110711131153 ... LastLast
Results 16,531 to 16,545 of 17573
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I've watched both these youtubers. Of the two, I'd rather watch Simon Whistler--who is really just a guy delivering a script. The script itself is often written and researched by someone else. There are a lot of informational videos with people on camera or doing voiceover--I wouldn't single out Simon Whistler just because he has a good paying job doing that sort of thing in volume. And he's not that irritating.

The other guy, who professes to be the authority on all things Canadian, is just a horribly annoying idiot. And in his videos he seems to take pride in his stupidity and will often state things as fact even though they're only things he's pulled out of his butt. It really bugs me that people are watching his videos and thinking he knows Canada--just because he might have the passport. At least with Simon Whistler--from his accent and his look--you know not to trust him, because he's clearly not Canadian.
    It's not about the personalities involved or their other videos, it's the information imparted. I don't care one way or another about the personalities.

Personally, I like that Canada is a mystery to the rest of the world. The less people know about us and the more they leave us alone, the better.
    That sounds awfully isolationist, possibly even nationalist. Not that I have a problem with that, but that's how it reads.

I never voted for the Liberal party in my life--not federally and not provincially--and Justin Trudeau didn't win a majority this last time, because he screwed up on many levels. But that's also before COVID. The important thing now is for everyone in Canada to work together, to overcome our differences, because we need to be 100% all in.
    I've tried to explain this to both Canadians and people elsewhere in the world for ages now. Canadians do not vote for their prime minister. They vote for local party members and that's it. Nobody voted for Trudeau in the election because Canadians get very little say on most positions in government. And yes, Trudeau's party lost the popular vote, which is another thing a surprising amount of people don't seem to get.

Quote Originally Posted by TheManInBlack View Post
    I've tried to explain this to both Canadians and people elsewhere in the world for ages now. Canadians do not vote for their prime minister. They vote for local party members and that's it. Nobody voted for Trudeau in the election because Canadians get very little say on most positions in government. And yes, Trudeau's party lost the popular vote, which is another thing a surprising amount of people don't seem to get.
    I always thought that was how the prime minister run government was run in most countries - you vote for the party, perhaps the specific MP directly at best, and then those people elect one of their number to be the head of the government. The Prime Minister isn't directly on the ballot, but as the de facto head of the party most people are technically voting for or against them when they go to the polls.

However, since a parliamentary system can easily result in a minority government, the need to form coalitions often results in a leader who can best rally the MPs rather than who most appeals to the nation as a whole. Whether or not such a system is superior probably depends on the specific nuances of how it was designed and the national political climate. Even the most robust system can be undermined if those involved are determined enough, and those that should oppose that are apathetic enough.
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 04-20-2020 at 01:49 PM.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Retired

Do you think I'm an idiot?

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Governor Brian Kemp has stupid things to announce.

BREAKING: Gov. Kemp says business like gyms, barbers and hair stylists will be allowed to reopen Friday, April 24th. Theaters, restaurants to follow Monday, April 27.

Spectacular Member

Do you think I'm an idiot?
    What? Where on earth did that come from? I was agreeing with you and saying that I've had to explain what you said to MANY people. Not sure why you seem to be spoiling for a fight.

Retired

What? Where on earth did that come from? I was agreeing with you and saying that I've had to explain what you said to MANY people. Not sure why you seem to be spoiling for a fight.
    Sorry. The way I read it, I thought you were saying I didn't know how the Canadian system worked--which left me puzzled. No fight.

Spectacular Member

Sorry. The way I read it, I thought you were saying I didn't know how the Canadian system worked--which left me puzzled. No fight.
    My bad, I could have said it clearer. It wasn't meant to be a shot at you at all.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Yep, plenty damn stupid. Hopefully, smart people who’ve listened to the likes of Dr. Fauci and other medical experts and stay away from places that are reopened.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Yep, plenty damn stupid. Hopefully, smart people who’ve listened to the likes of Dr. Fauci and other medical experts and stay away from places that are reopened.
    Sadly we are about to get another real life lesson on canaries and coal mines.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Fringe Protests Can’t Distract from Trump’s Failures

The demonstrations against the coronavirus shutdowns came to upstate New York on Monday, with a lunchtime “Gridlock Buffalo” protest, at which cars and trucks blockaded Niagara Square, in the heart of the city. The event was specifically directed at Governor Andrew Cuomo, who recently extended his stay-at-home order until May 15th, but it was similar to protests in Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Texas, Wisconsin, and other states.

According to the Buffalo News, the person behind Monday’s protest was Rus Thompson, a local conservative activist and supporter of Donald Trump who was involved in a pro-Trump protest last summer timed to coincide with a pro-impeachment rally. This is not surprising. A demonstration in Lansing, Michigan, last week which attracted national attention was organized by “a group founded by a pro-Trump state representative and his wife, Meshawn Maddock, who is on the advisory board for an official Trump campaign group called ‘Women for Trump,’ ” the Associated Press reported. And, according to the New York Times, a protest outside the statehouse in Austin, Texas, which took place on Saturday, was organized by Owen Shroyer, the host of a radio program from Infowars, the right-wing disinformation Web site.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

cnn is reporting that after major surgery, Kim Jong un's health is "grave".

if he dies, without naming the next leader, things could get messy in north korea.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Honestly? Everyone in those crowd is delusional. No American is truly "free", individualism doesnt work anymore unless you enjoy living a 19th century lifestyle of back breaking labour and archaic to non existent medical treatment. Even the people on those Alaska shows still have to interact with the modern world around them. If the government wanted you dead ? Your dead. Freedom seems to be the chsnt these guys have when their asked to follow badic rules of a 21st century society.
    Alaskan Bush People? They actually live in Seattle and only move up to Alaska to film seasonally. They're pretty phony. Now, actual off-the-grid people that do fear and loathe the government do exist, but they take it upon themselves to go way out of their way to avoid interacting with anyone who isn't part of the circles they roll with, so chances are... you'll never actually run into them legitimately.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post

if he dies, without naming the next leader, things could get messy in north korea.
    Having looked at the bloodline for his family, which is officially known as the "Mount Paetku Bloodline", he only sired a daughter back in 2012, and in a country like North Korea, there's no way they'll let a woman lead the country. Even if they decided to choose Kim Jung-il's other children and go against both the directive of the dynasty and Jung-il's wishes, Kim Jong-nam was assassinated in 2017 and Kim Jong-chul has no intention in politics, with Kim Han-sol (Jong-nam's son) unlikely due to Jong-nam losing favor due to, of all things, an attempt to visit Tokyo Disneyland.

So, as far as we're concerned, Jong-un's death will mark not only the end of the dynasty, but also likely the end of North Korea as we know it since if they don't have a successor in place or someone to be the new face of the company, a power struggle will likely consume the government, fracturing an already impoverished and broken country. It is interesting to explore how all three rulers of this dynasty were felled by the same congenital issues (heart disease), which is not unlike the hemophilia of the Russian tsar.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/polit...rea/index.html

Yep. What's more, if this pans out, I imagine his sister (just as much of a psychopath as he is) may step in.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    Having looked at the bloodline for his family, which is officially known as the "Mount Paetku Bloodline", he only sired a daughter back in 2012, and in a country like North Korea, there's no way they'll let a woman lead the country. Even if they decided to choose Kim Jung-il's other children and go against both the directive of the dynasty and Jung-il's wishes, Kim Jong-nam was assassinated in 2017 and Kim Jong-chul has no intention in politics, with Kim Han-sol (Jong-nam's son) unlikely due to Jong-nam losing favor due to, of all things, an attempt to visit Tokyo Disneyland.

So, as far as we're concerned, Jong-un's death will mark not only the end of the dynasty, but also likely the end of North Korea as we know it since if they don't have a successor in place or someone to be the new face of the company, a power struggle will likely consume the government, fracturing an already impoverished and broken country. It is interesting to explore how all three rulers of this dynasty were felled by the same congenital issues (heart disease), which is not unlike the hemophilia of the Russian tsar.
    either she will be pushed out or used as a figure head for someone else.