Page 1116 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 11661610161066110611121113111411151116111711181119112011261166 ... LastLast
Results 16,726 to 16,740 of 17573
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Well people get defensive because nobody ever proposes banning anything that would inconvenience themselves in any way. Sure it's pretty easy to get up on a soapbox and say that nobody should eat meat if you already are vegan anyway, but everyone has certain problematic habits that they would get defensive about if somebody tried to stop them doing them.
    Soapbox? You can’t help insulting people, can you?

Right now, I really don't see the purpose of this blaming game.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I love conservatives are wanting to open things up again because of concern for working people's income, or better yet, other health issues that are harder to treat now.

Where the F was that concern when we talked about the 30 million people without Health Insurance and the 30 million more that are under insured. When they stopped Medicaid expansion for the poor. When they fought to stop an increase in the minimum wage, which still lags inflation. Spare me the crocodile tears, this isn't Wall Street and the bottom line, same as it ever was.
    The folks who cared about that forgot to VOTE in ALL elections and not just the Presidential one.

Put it to you like this-a post on Tumblr (of ALL places) listed 4 states that Trump won and how much he won by. They also listed all the number registered black voters who did not vote in that election. Trump won Wisconsin by 23K if 30K out of 300K black who did not vote voted for Hilary-he would have lost Wisconsin.

But that is what happens when you got folks being told to be more upset about a Crime Bill from Clinton than focus on voting for someone.

I love conservatives are wanting to open things up again because of concern for working people's income, or better yet, other health issues that are harder to treat now.

Where the F was that concern when we talked about the 30 million people without Health Insurance and the 30 million more that are under insured. When they stopped Medicaid expansion for the poor. When they fought to stop an increase in the minimum wage, which still lags inflation. Spare me the crocodile tears, this isn't Wall Street and the bottom line, same as it ever was.
    The disagreement comes from the question of who will pay for the health insurance, as well as the people priced out of the job market by a higher minimum wage.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The disagreement comes from the question of who will pay for the health insurance, as well as the people priced out of the job market by a higher minimum wage.
    Is it your view that people in Australia can’t get jobs at McDonalds because the minimum wage is too high? Our minimum wage is very high by OECD standards.

Also, we have a system where people pay 2% of their taxable income so that everybody can have healthcare. Seems to be working well at the moment.

All arguments proven false. A number of times. Too many to reiterate.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

We can blame numerous governments for failing with Covid-19, people.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    Is it your view that people in Australia can’t get jobs at McDonalds because the minimum wage is too high? Our minimum wage is very high by OECD standards.

Also, we have a system where people pay 2% of their taxable income so that everybody can have healthcare. Seems to be working well at the moment.
    B-but what about the 17 month waiting times to get an appointment?
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post

I can't really speak for the minimum wage in Australia. The United States is going to have different needs than a country with a population less than that of Texas, and a population density less than that of South Dakota.

I'll note that the earlier goalpost was about why conservatives aren't concerned about people without sufficient health insurance. It is a different discussion to say that the United States should adopt Australia's healthcare system, or any other specific healthcare plan. Those have all sorts of pros and cons.

I'm not sure how we would go into a system in the US where 2% of taxable income pays for everyone's healthcare. That seems to require massive tradeoffs given that Medicare and Medicaid are already five percent of GDP.

All arguments proven false. A number of times. Too many to reiterate.
    I have some how avoided the news about a perfect healthcare plan. As well as the unambiguous evidence that a higher minimum wage works.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Like voting for the Republican party even though you know they disenfranchise African-Americans and other "minorities" to win elections.

Not sure how painful that might be for you but it's certainly distasteful.

I suppose the pain comes when Republicans nominate people like Trump and Bush to power and allow them to break laws and crash the economy.

To help out the most people of course.

Everyone knows that Trump's goal is to help the most people -- that's why Republicans elected him into office.
    This seems like an ad hominem.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Right now, I really don't see the purpose of this blaming game.
    Let's say we are going to dial that knob back...

How far are we talking?

- Should we even be looking into if countries are lying about the numbers of deaths from a pandemic?

- Should we just stop putting any sort of blame on state or country leaders for their respective approaches to dealing with a pandemic?

BANNED

I can't really speak for the minimum wage in Australia. The United States is going to have different needs than a country with a population less than that of Texas, and a population density less than that of South Dakota.

I'll note that the earlier goalpost was about why conservatives aren't concerned about people without sufficient health insurance. It is a different discussion to say that the United States should adopt Australia's healthcare system, or any other specific healthcare plan. Those have all sorts of pros and cons.

I'm not sure how we would go into a system in the US where 2% of taxable income pays for everyone's healthcare. That seems to require massive tradeoffs given that Medicare and Medicaid are already five percent of GDP.

I have some how avoided the news about a perfect healthcare plan. As well as the unambiguous evidence that a higher minimum wage works.
    I guess from my perspective the trade-off is wealthy corporations, wealthy doctors etc versus people's health, lives and livelihoods. Like, someone who gets a chronic illness shouldn't have to go bankrupt. To me, it simple seems as matter of common decency that you would not allow your fellow contrypeople to die from lack of money. There isn't military insurance - US citizens are forced to pay for the defence of the realm as a common good. Why not healthcare? Having more healthy people makes more money, sure all capitalists can get behind that?

Re higher minimum wage. This goes hand in hand with lower taxes for big corporations and wealthy people - Voodoo economics. You don't have to be a Rhodes scholar to figure out that if someone on the minimum has a tax cut then they're likely to spend that money right away - on cinemas, restaurants, cafes, supermarkets, consumer electronics. Those businesses' sales go up, those workers can earn more wages, those companies can employ more people. Then those people spend their money and the cycle continues.

What's someone on $10 million a year going to buy? Another Ferrari? Another holiday house? Another yacht? That only helps a few businesses and a few more rich people.

I don't expect your country's culture to change. Like, it blows my mind that machine guns are still readily available.

Every modern country delivers better healthcare at a lower cost to All it's people. That is why it is a nonsensical argument.

Corrected for inflation from the mid 70s, the minimum wage should be almost $20. It didn't cost jobs then.

As I said refuted arguments.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

Well out of all bad comes good.Solar Power!!! Coming from Canada I am really excited that solar power can be so effective in northern climates, as the UK and Canada shares the same dreary weather. Renewable energy keeps getting cheaper and cheaper to produce.

https://www.engadget.com/germany-uk-...133031282.html

Ultimate Member

This seems like an ad hominem.
    And that seems like a response designed to dodge the fact that you just claimed that voters might have to do "distasteful" things for the "greater good" but then won't own up to them when you know your party does things like intentionally disenfranchising black voters so they can win elections.

You're quick to bring up stats of African-Americans when it serves your conservative political purposes yet you won't even address the fact that your party intentionally obstructs one of the primary ways for African-Americans to address said issues in this country.

You have to realize that everytime you bring up "ethics" and the common "good" in these conversations people aren't going to just pretend you don't support a party that openly breaks the law and only serves the interests of it's own rather than "most" Americans -- especially if they are LGBT or people of color.

Then when called out for it, you claim it's an "ad hominem" instead of addressing the obvious hypocrisy -- and the blatant bigotry -- directly.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 04-22-2020 at 05:37 PM.