Page 1144 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 1446441044109411341140114111421143114411451146114711481154 ... LastLast
Results 17,146 to 17,160 of 17573

This clip more or less sums up the Trump philosophy:

Watching television is not an activity.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    They were not up on LGBT, no. (And if we're being honest, most liberals weren't either back in the time we're talking about.)
    If we're also being honest, more liberals were fighting for equal rights than conservatives -- both then and now.

As the original point was about being "at odds" with them -- again, I was never at odds with them over their politics or causes.

Can't say the same for most conservatives these days -- or back then either.

Even now you don't see most black people here arguing against progressive policies so much as asking for pragmatism in enacting them.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 04-28-2020 at 10:04 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    That is because their view of racism is limited to Fox news and whatever tv show or movie shows it. Along with the rag to riches stories of those poor black boy who have to play sports or rap to make it out of the hood.

And when their kid goes to college and says the N word to the WRONG black person-they wonder why they get hit in the face or expelled.

Because they don't see all the POC who don't represent those lies and stereotypes while growing up. That reality check is a mean mistress.
    Diversity for most white folks means celebrating the tiny percentage of minorities that manage to climb their way into the upper class, while continuing to maintain all of the barriers that effectively keep their social and professional circles predominantly white. Whenever any particular field is overtaken by non-white participants, all of a sudden it just so happens to lose all of the prestige and esteem it was once afforded by polite society, and the successes of people who manage to outdo their white counterparts recast in stereotypical terms.

And it totally makes sense why so many upper middle class white liberals think this way, as far as they know, minorities are all kind and wonderful people who never challenge their world view or attitudes toward race in any way, because everyone who they've met invariably has to suppress any ideas that would upset their white friends in order to maintain their socioeconomic position, and perhaps some have been doing the act for so long that they have started to actually believe it.
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 04-28-2020 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    If we're also being honest, more liberals were fighting for equal rights than conservatives -- both then and now.

As the original point was about being "at odds" with them -- again, I was never at odds with them over their politics or causes.

Can't say the same for most conservatives these days -- or back then either.

Even now you don't see most black people here arguing against progressive policies so much as asking for pragmatism in enacting them.
    Ah, ok. I thought you were just highlighting the "at odds" quote.

That was more on a question (I believe) about political correctness (how it was defined, I don't know . . . which seems like the big problem with the term. I've literally watched debates where the people on both sides were in total agreement, they just had different definitions of PC).

The numbers were something over 70% of black respondents and 80+ Asian and Latin who thought PC was out of control . . . upper and upper middle class white liberals were the only group who came in below 50% on that. (Someone less lazy than I can go find the numbers if they like.)

Ultimate Member

Ah, ok. I thought you were just highlighting the "at odds" quote.

That was more on a question (I believe) about political correctness (how it was defined, I don't know . . . which seems like the big problem with the term. I've literally watched debates where the people on both sides were in total agreement, they just had different definitions of PC).

The numbers were something over 70% of black respondents and 80+ Asian and Latin who thought PC was out of control . . . upper and upper middle class white liberals were the only group who came in below 50% on that. (Someone less lazy than I can go find the numbers if they like.)
    I'm wary about anything regarding "political correctness" -- that usually means whatever an individual wants it to mean.

The "liberals" I knew in college were actually fighting gentrification around the school and managed to liason a deal with the local residents that wasn't perfect but was much better than what they were dealing with before -- they tutored kids from the local neighborhoods, held rallies and fundraisers for the local communities, and they did all of this in their spare time between studies.

They weren't perfect but they were more socially conscious than any group I've met before or since.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 04-28-2020 at 10:20 AM.

The "liberals" I knew in college were actually fighting gentrification around the school and managed to liason a deal with the local residents that wasn't perfect but was much better than what they were dealing with before -- they tutored kids from the local neighborhoods, held rallies and fundraisers for the local communities, and they did all of this in their spare time between studies.

They weren't perfect but they were more socially conscious than any group I've met before or since.
    Fair enough. The Brooklyn comment probably was more personal for you than I knew. It is, however, something I have seen in person. I've had enough conversations with people who were priced out of their home who are not happy about some of the newer, ostensibly progressive, Brooklynites.

Ultimate Member

Fair enough. The Brooklyn comment probably was more personal for you than I knew. It is, however, something I have seen in person. I've had enough conversations with people who were priced out of their home who are not happy about some of the newer, ostensibly progressive, Brooklynites.
    Gentrification is a whole different issue.

And much, much different from suppressing African-American and Latino votes and harassing and shooting people of color.

But I do get your point -- I'm just saying that I've seen firsthand that "radical liberalism" isn't some terror that will destroy this nation's future.

To the contrary, given their contributions to the community, they made me feel lazy and apathetic regarding said future in comparison.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 04-28-2020 at 10:36 AM.

So about Tara Reade's neighbor. Apparently, she forgot all about the 'biden stuff' until Tara called her and reminded her about it.

https://twitter.com/agraybee/status/...326482946?s=21

This is giving me a headache.

There's more details in there. This needs some *real* investigation and examination.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 04-28-2020 at 10:38 AM.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    So about Tara Reade's neighbor. Apparently, she forgot all about the 'biden stuff' until Tara called her and reminded her about it.

https://twitter.com/agraybee/status/...326482946?s=21

This is giving me a headache.

There's more details in there. This needs some *real* investigation and examination.
    Agreed. I'm willing to listen to what she says, but the further this goes on, the more I really need to see an investigation.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Trump to Order U.S. Meat Plants to Stay Open Amid Pandemic

President Donald Trump plans to order meat-processing plants to remain open, declaring them critical infrastructure as the nation confronts growing disruptions to the food supply from the coronavirus outbreak, a person familiar with the matter said.

Trump plans to use the Defense Production Act to order the companies to stay open during the pandemic, and the government will provide additional protective gear for employees as well as guidance, according to the person.

Trump signaled the executive action at the White House on Tuesday, saying he planned to sign an order aimed at Tyson Foods Inc.’s liability, which had become “a road block” for the company. He didn’t elaborate.

The order, though, will not be limited to Tyson, the person said. It will affect many processing plants supplying beef, chicken, eggs and pork.

Trump’s order sets the stage for a showdown between America’s meat giants, who’ve been pressing to reopen plants hit by mass outbreaks, and local officials and labor unions who’ve called for closures and are trying to prevent the virus from spreading. The president himself has long agitated for Americans to return to work and restore a U.S. economy crippled by social distancing measures.
    So, let me get this right: Drano Don refused to use the Defense Production Act to help medical personnel and first responders, but when he found out beef for his precious hamberders could be in short supply, THEN he acted. Unbelievable! Meanwhile, who cares that workers in those plants are dropping like flies from COVID-19 because they can't practice social distancing to keep themselves safe? I hope the National Guard are skilled at processing meat, because I can't see workers willingly going back into plants which could well have become death traps.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

But I do get your point -- I'm just saying that I've seen firsthand that "radical liberalism" isn't some terror that will destroy this nation's future.
    Heh. It's funny. I recently was trying to make a distinction between hard left (which I consider myself) and radical left (which I consider people telling me to use "Latinx").

You're defending BLM and Acorn type things (which I would too) and I'm complaining about having to thread a needle every time I want to make a point without getting derailed by some Walter Sobchak "Over the line!" side argument.

The internet is trash.

US was warned of threat from anti-vaxxers in event of pandemic

America’s “anti-vaxxer movement” would pose a threat to national security in the event of a “pandemic with a novel organism”, an FBI-connected non-profit research group warned last year, just months before the global coronavirus pandemic began.
    In a research paper put out by the little-known in-house journal of InfraGard – a national security group affiliated with the FBI – experts warned the US anti-vaccine movement would also be connected with “social media misinformation and propaganda campaigns” orchestrated by the Russian government.

Since the virus hit America, anti-vaccination activists and some sympathetic legislators around the country have led or participated in protests against stay-at-home orders designed to slow the spread of the deadly virus. More than 50,000 people have died in the US.

On its website, InfraGard says it is an “FBI-affiliated nonprofit organization dedicated to strengthening national security” with a mission to protect “United States critical infrastructure”. It says it consists of local chapters and that “an FBI special agent from each field office is assigned to serve as a private sector coordinator”.

The paper, jointly written by a security consultant and a senior doctor in New York State’s largest hospital network, warned: “The biggest threat in controlling an outbreak comes from those who categorically reject vaccination.”
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Ultimate Member

Heh. It's funny. I recently was trying to make a distinction between hard left (which I consider myself) and radical left (which I consider people telling me to use "Latinx").

You're defending BLM and Acorn type things (which I would too) and I'm complaining about having to thread a needle every time I want to make a point without getting derailed by some Walter Sobchak "Over the line!" side argument.

The internet is trash.
    Those are BLM things and Acorn things?

They were just college students helping out the local community and standing up for equality.

They were also a lot more educated about social issues than most which might be why they felt compelled to be so active.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 04-28-2020 at 11:40 AM.

Ultimate Member

Gentrification.

A school is located in an area that had plenty of apartments and house with a diverse population-more black in one part but Hispanic and white in other parts. There are 2 middle schools, 1 elementary and 1 high schools.

They started buying up and tearing down those apartments and houses. Replacing them with new apartments. One house slot became an apartment for two families.

https://www.apartments.com/4504-rusk...as-tx/ccpwhyd/

This what those houses look like. From what I understand someone the size of Shaq or Dirk could not live in them.

Rent $2,800

Everybody I have seen live and come out of these houses are white men. Black folks are being cleared out. The Hispanics live way further down.

NO kids. Not a good thing for an area with 4 schools. Two have been shutdown once before due to a lack of kids.

Meanwhile in South Dallas-they are crying about being ignored and having 4 schools shut down. One is reopening and the other merged with another one.

Yes some rebuilding is happening with overpriced apartments.

And would you question this-we sold one of our old schools recently. We wanted less than 200K. We saw a bid of 2 million by a firm.

You don't have enough space to put say Wal-mart or Target there. If they build those apartment that is listed earlier-who is going to live in them? You are in the middle of a black community. I doubt someone will park their Jaguar on the street there.

I'm wary about anything regarding "political correctness" -- that usually means whatever an individual wants it to mean.

I tend to boil down "pc" as "dont be an asshole" .

If someone asks you to refer to them.as she then dont be an asshole and do so etc