Page 187 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 87137177183184185186187188189190191197237287687 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,805 of 17573

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/terry-...a=twitter_page

But, yeah. LEt's talk about how Bevin merely has 'sincere concerns about judicial overreach' or whatever.

This will, of course, be used as an excuse to push for legislation that will damage pardon authority.
    As an outsider to US way of doing things I find allowing politicians to have ability to pardon criminals as totally, utterly bizarre. I can’t see how anyone can find it acceptable...especially towards end of a politicians tenure when he (or she) can not be held accountable by the electorate.

It’s up to a judge and jury to decide whether guilty or not, for the judge to decide appropriate sentence. After that it’s up to an appropriate parole board to decide if criminal can safely be released early...and that board should be solely concerned if early release will compromise public safety.

If anyone is pardoned, it should be because facts have emerged that make the original conviction unsafe...and that should be decided by judges (or jury guided by judges), not left to a politicians whim.

In general terms...in USA the legal system seems (by UK standards) to be directly influenced by politicians to an almost shocking extent. Have any of your politicians ever put case for making legal process more independent?
    Last edited by JackDaw; 12-18-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I understand hunting when the meat goes into one's freezer, but that doesn't happen when you hunt something like that in a faraway country.
    I think this says it all about the Trump family, if not all of humanity:

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    What baffles me is Bernie supporters blame Hillary, the DNC, the media and 'the establishment' for his loss.
    Some Bernie supporters don't seem to understand that you don't join a club on Monday, and then demand that the club change all of its rules on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Some Bernie supporters don't seem to understand that you don't join a club on Monday, and then demand that the club change all of its rules on Tuesday.
    They probably think they are changing the world, but they are going about it all wrong.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

There doesn't seem to be many Bernie supporters here. Just curious, what person do all of you like for the Democratic nominee?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Feel the Bern
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    There doesn't seem to be many Bernie supporters here. Just curious, what person do all of you like for the Democratic nominee?
    I like Warren. But the priority is removing Trump.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    The American political system needs to lock down who can run as what frankly. Bernie shouldn't be able to dip in and out and neither should Trump or Bloomberg. Your either a member of the party...or your not.
    No thanks, Boss Tweed.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I like Warren. But the priority is removing Trump.
    Agreed on both counts.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Then don't ask for their votes.
    I don't recall asking for anything except that Sanders supporters stop being divisive and potentially repeating what happened in 2016.

You can support your candidate without dragging down the leading candidates, and if you can't do that, then you shouldn't be in the party to begin with.

Again, it's not Sanders who is the real problem here -- it's the behavior of his supporters.

Even Sanders himself knows where the problem lies.

-----
    "Bernie Sanders Politely Asks Supporters Not to Harass His Opponents"

"Let us do our very best to engage respectfully with our Democratic opponents,” the candidate said in an email.

"As we engage with our opponents in the Democratic primary, we will forcefully present our views and defend ourselves against misrepresentations,” Sanders wrote. “But, let us do our very best to engage respectfully with our Democratic opponents―talking about the issues we are fighting for, not about personalities or past grievances. I want to be clear that I condemn bullying and harassment of any kind and in any space.”

Sanders sent a similar message to his delegates ahead of the 2016 Democratic National Convention, urging them not to protest on the convention floor. But his supporters did not heed his calls and the convention was interrupted numerous times by followers of Sanders, at times booing at Clinton delegates and chanting “Bernie.”

In his email about 2020, Sanders emphasized that only a united front will have a chance to beat Trump.

“Our number one priority is defeating Donald Trump. To do so, we will ultimately have to unite with those who today are our opponents for the Democratic nomination. We won’t always agree with them, but I expect those who speak on behalf of my campaign to always engage respectfully. I am committed to making this nominating process a fair, issues-focused campaign and am asking you for the same,” he concluded."

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...orters-799468/
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 12-18-2019 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/terry-...a=twitter_page

But, yeah. LEt's talk about how Bevin merely has 'sincere concerns about judicial overreach' or whatever.

This will, of course, be used as an excuse to push for legislation that will damage pardon authority.
    Oh come on.
    Nobody could be that evil or that dumb.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    I don't recall asking for anything except that Sanders supporters stop being divisive and potentially repeating what happened in 2016.

You can support your candidate without dragging down the leading candidates, and if you can't do that, then you shouldn't be in the party to begin with.

Again, it's not Sanders who is the real problem here -- it's the behavior of his supporters.

-----

"Let us do our very best to engage respectfully with our Democratic opponents,” the candidate said in an email.

"As we engage with our opponents in the Democratic primary, we will forcefully present our views and defend ourselves against misrepresentations,” Sanders wrote. “But, let us do our very best to engage respectfully with our Democratic opponents―talking about the issues we are fighting for, not about personalities or past grievances. I want to be clear that I condemn bullying and harassment of any kind and in any space.”

Sanders sent a similar message to his delegates ahead of the 2016 Democratic National Convention, urging them not to protest on the convention floor. But his supporters did not heed his calls and the convention was interrupted numerous times by followers of Sanders, at times booing at Clinton delegates and chanting “Bernie.”

In his email about 2020, Sanders emphasized that only a united front will have a chance to beat Trump.

“Our number one priority is defeating Donald Trump. To do so, we will ultimately have to unite with those who today are our opponents for the Democratic nomination. We won’t always agree with them, but I expect those who speak on behalf of my campaign to always engage respectfully. I am committed to making this nominating process a fair, issues-focused campaign and am asking you for the same,” he concluded."

There's also the time Bernie apologized for the sexual harassment from his supporters/

Warren, man.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

I was leaning Warren, but I decided to keep an open mind. I'll make my choice in a few months, considering my state is one of the last to primary, I've got time.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post

-----

Meanwhile...

There are regular attacks on Sanders in this thread.