Page 2 of 1172 FirstFirst 12345612521025021002 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    Sadly, the one religious affiliation that NEEDS to die out - ‘born again’/evangelical Protestant - is holding steady. A bastion against reason and compassion, in the name of a god whose voice they seem not to care about...
    I read a webcomic a few years back that was a parody of the Jack T. Chick works - the final conclusion was: The number one reason people turn away from Christ is <drum roll please> ...........CHRISTIANS! Which is really just paraphrasing the famous Ghandi quote where he remarks how little they practice what Christ taught.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Disaster View Post
    Curious to know how many of that 17% still profess belief in a christian god and are simply unaffiliated with any organized religion or refer to themselves as spiritual? I sometimes think these numbers are used to send certain xtians into a panic over "godlessness" and a delusional threat of atheism running rampant in the US, despite the overwhelming majority they continue to maintain.
    While I do love hearing the initial news that Christianity is dying out and loses its icy grip on our country, I think you’re correct that many of these people who are “unaffiliated” still believe in a Judeo-Christian god. But at least the idea that religion is untouchable when it comes to parody is long gone thanks to shows like South Park, Family Guy, Righteous Gemstones, Rick and Morty, etc.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    Sadly, the one religious affiliation that NEEDS to die out - ‘born again’/evangelical Protestant - is holding steady. A bastion against reason and compassion, in the name of a god whose voice they seem not to care about...
    Ironically it's partially because of them and their hyperpoliticization of their faith that Christianity is on the decline.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Ironically it's partially because of them and their hyperpoliticization of their faith that Christianity is on the decline.
    I think that is true. Many see the Christian Right, which dominates the GOP, and say, if that is Christianity, that is not for me.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Notre Dame had a right to host Barr — but his talk was ridiculously stupid

Last week, the attorney general of the United States, William Barr, gave a speech at the University of Notre Dame Law School. The event was co-sponsored by the de Nicola Center for Ethics and Culture. And it was a train wreck.

Some people took to Twitter to complain about Notre Dame even hosting this man, given his apparent willingness to do everything and anything possible to shield the president from legal trouble. Bosh. A major seat of learning should feel free to invite any member of Congress or Cabinet to speak on campus. I dislike the censoriousness that has blossomed improbably on the left. My rule of thumb: Draw the line at Holocaust deniers. Everyone else should be heard. If you do not like what the person has to say, argue with them. That is what universities, and public discourse more generally, should be all about.

In Barr's case, however, the appropriate response to his talk was embarrassment. The man may be brilliant, but his talk was ridiculously stupid.

"From the Founding Era onward, there was strong consensus about the centrality of religious liberty in the United States," Barr explained. "The imperative of protecting religious freedom was not just a nod in the direction of piety. It reflects the Framers' belief that religion was indispensable to sustaining our free system of government." Of course, the Bill of Rights was not applied to the states until the adoption of the 14th Amendment, ratified in 1868, and, in the case of religious liberty, the relevant clauses of the First Amendment were not applied to state and local government until the 1947 Supreme Court decision in Everson v. Board of Education of the Township of Ewing.

So, Barr is overstating the case a bit. Is he unaware of what was done to the Mormons in the 19th century? What was done to the Jehovah's Witnesses in the 20th century? I set aside the bigotry directed at Catholics, which was usually mob rule, not jurisprudence, but the Mormons and the Witnesses were subjected to trials endorsed by the law at that time.
    Then Barr embarks upon a dystopian account of our country that is Trumpian.

I think we all recognize that over the past 50 years religion has been under increasing attack.

On the one hand, we have seen the steady erosion of our traditional Judeo-Christian moral system and a comprehensive effort to drive it from the public square.

On the other hand, we see the growing ascendancy of secularism and the doctrine of moral relativism.

By any honest assessment, the consequences of this moral upheaval have been grim.

Virtually every measure of social pathology continues to gain ground.
    It is interesting that these conservative Catholic public figures like Barr attribute increases in social pathology to "secularism" and "moral relativism," as if the emergence of a full-blown commercial culture, accompanied by spread-eagle capitalism, had nothing to do with the emergence of social pathologies. And as if Americans were not still the most churchy people of any industrialized nation. And as if "traditional morality" did not find ways to ignore racism and sexism and a different set of social and moral pathologies. And as if certain uniquely American social pathologies like gun violence are not largely unknown in very secular countries like Denmark and Norway. Causality is always a complicated thing and the attorney general's blindness to that fact is so obviously a consequence of his political need to fashion an enemy that is also an easy target.
    Last edited by Tami; 10-19-2019 at 02:05 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I think that is true. Many see the Christian Right, which dominates the GOP, and say, if that is Christianity, that is not for me.
    The issue with Catholicism is more the sex abuse scandals and that it’s the most restrictive

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    The issue with Catholicism is more the sex abuse scandals and that it’s the most restrictive
    Agree. They showed themselves to be completely corrupt.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Bernie’s national campaign co-chair standing with Tulsi.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ninaturne...822719488?s=19

Bloody hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Bernie’s national campaign co-chair standing with Tulsi.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ninaturne...822719488?s=19

Bloody hell.
    I asked @TulsiGabbard
    - twice - if she disavows Russian state media support of her campaign.

Gabbard: "This is not about Russia. This is about a smear campaign that has been waged against me.." & "Again, I don't control them. I don't control what anyone else says or does."
    Twitter Link

1. Fact check thread coming up on 2020 Democratic presidential candidate Tulsi Gabbard, a veteran, and the first Samoan/practicing-Hindu member of Congress. Hillary Clinton has suggested that Gabbard was being “groomed by Russia”…

Gabbard has attracted support from David Duke.
    Twitter Thread Link

Battle lines drawn after Clinton and Gabbard exchange insults

Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar, whose Iowa bus tour had been overshadowed by the Gabbard-Clinton fight, told reporters on Friday that Clinton could “defend herself, and will.” Asked about the story again on Saturday, she pivoted to talk about her election integrity legislation.

“This is something I’m not getting into right now,” she said. “I will talk about election security, because I think that’s much more significant than any Twitter fight going on right now.”

But two of the nonpoliticians in the Democratic primary, entrepreneur Andrew Yang and author Marianne Williamson, sided with Gabbard.

Yang tweeted that Gabbard, a veteran, “deserves much more respect and thanks than this.” Williamson accused the Democratic establishment of “smearing women it finds inconvenient.”

“The character assassination of women who don’t toe the party line will backfire. Stay strong @TulsiGabbard. You deserve respect and you have mine,” Williamson tweeted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    That should have been such an easy answer for her, but she squirmed her way around it. Yeah not suspicious at all Comrade Tulsi. But I’m sure she’ll be on Fucker Carlson’s show soon decrying the fake news media’s treatment of her.

Mighty Member

I remain fundamentally astonished at how the living incarnation of all things the Christian Right wants to fight has such obsessive support. As mentioned, this is souring a lot of people on Christianity in general.

Yesterday, Florida Congressman Francis Rooney (R) stated that he was open to voting for impeachment based on the evidence.

That courage is not coincidental, it seems, as today, Rooney announced he would be retiring after what will be but two terms in office.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.