Page 209 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 109159199205206207208209210211212213219259309709 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,135 of 17573

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    You've shown absolutely no proof that Democrats are "routinely dishonest" like the Republican party -- again, just because you say it doesn't make it true.

In fact, all you are doing is further proving that Republicans have problems being honest by continuing to engage in said false equivalency without proof.

If your argument is that it's "right" to habitually lie about tax cuts, the deficit, social security, climate change, foreign interference in our elections, and separating children from their families like the Republicans do, then it's debatable that you even know the difference between what's wrong and what's right.

Lying about climate change "produces the best outcomes for the most people"? How so exactly?

Lying about minority voter suppression "produces the best outcomes for the most people"? How so exactly?

Lying about foreign interference in our elections "produces the best outcomes for the most people?" How so exactly?

I think you do know it's wrong to lie -- about the effects of the tax cuts, the importance of the deficit, about climate change being a "hoax", about Russian interference in our elections, about minority voter suppression, about how many children have been separated from their families at the border -- which is why you don't even attempt to address those issues in an objective manner.

You just deflect and then try to project onto the Democrats -- the standard Republican playbook.

With that in mind, I'll take your lack of any real defense of said actions as an admission that you know they are indefensible.
    I'm a NJ Democrat (a state notorious for political corruption), and as, much as I hate to say it not all Democrats are 'saints'. Corruption, along with the lying involved, is not exclusive to Republicans.

That said, currently, during the Trump era, many if not most Republicans are following his lead. Trump is the worst possible example for any Politician, yet many Republicans are taking their cues from him in terms of lying (among other things).

Thing is, there is a balancing act going on. As more and more Republicans begin to act like Trump, lying as often as he does, feeling like they can get always with anything - Democrats are forced to confront their own flirtations with lies and respond aggressively against those who do.

Michele Obama said, famously 'When they go low, we go high'. The thing is, Democrats now, these days, don't have much of a choice in that matter. There is still lying on their part on occasion, but when called out for it, the retribution is swifter and far more cutting. [Consider what happened to Al Franken, for example].

Chaos would ensue if both sides lied with equal disdain for the truth. That is the kind of Chaos that could destroy this country.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I'm a NJ Democrat (a state notorious for political corruption), and as, much as I hate to say it not all Democrats are 'saints'. Corruption, along with the lying involved, is not exclusive to Republicans.
    I don't believe anyone here thinks Democrats are saints, but it's blatantly dishonest to argue that "both sides" are equally problematic in that regard.

I'm not a Democrat and I don't hate to point out any of the problems said party has with dishonesty -- that said, when it comes to big issues like climate change, tax cuts, deficits and the economy, voter suppression, foreign interference, and separating children from their families, it's clear to anyone with two eyes that the two parties are not equal, and that one party could probably even be classified as "evil" in that regard.

Let's be real -- anyone who supports the Republican party at this point knows that they are supporting a party that not only lies as a matter of general policy (tax cuts, deficits, foreign interference, etc) but also has no problem with white nationalists working in their ranks at the highest levels of government.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 12-26-2019 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    I don't believe anyone here thinks Democrats are saints, but it's blatantly dishonest to argue that "both sides" are equally problematic in that regard.

I'm not a Democrat and I don't hate to point out any of the problems said party has with dishonesty -- that said, when it comes to big issues like climate change, tax cuts, deficits and the economy, voter suppression, foreign interference, and separating children from their families, it's clear to anyone with two eyes that the two parties are not equal, and that one party could probably even be classified as "evil" in that regard.

Let's be real -- anyone who supports the Republican party at this point knows that they are supporting a party that not only lies as a matter of general policy (tax cuts, deficits, foreign interference, etc) but also has no problem with white nationalists working in their ranks at the highest levels of government.
    I agree, they are not equal. No one can equal Trump's level of dishonesty and deceit, though many Republicans are trying hard to do so.

Republicans have been heading in this direction for decades, Trump is like a pile of bricks that have been dumped on that scale and sent a gradual descent into a tailspin. A downward spiral with the ground rushing up to meet them. They are losing control.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I will note again that I'll back the current Democratic frontrunner for President over the Republican nominee. Unlike most of you guys, my voting habits have changed due to recent events. So I support the Republicans less than you, jetengine, WorstBlogever, Tami, Malvolio and Squirrel Man support the Democrats.

Note- I've named those people because they've commented on this specific question.

If anyone were concerned about truth, they wouldn't back Democrats either, given their failings in the category.

It shouldn't be surprising that I will generally back the party that has the policies that I believe will produce the best outcomes for the most people. Most people are going to do that. The argument is about whether they're right.
    Imagine claiming that you dislike the current Republican party then gaslight everyone with #Bothsame

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Imagine claiming that you dislike the current Republican party then gaslight everyone with #Bothsame
    Goes right along with supporting policies which deny the existence of climate change, create record deficits after arguing for "balanced budgets", suppress the votes of minorities and the rights of LGBT citizens, allow for tax cuts that cut social services to millions with little benefit to the economy, and separate young children from their mothers based on white nationalistic rhetoric regarding immigrant "invasions" and "open borders".

The argument that these policies improve things for "the most people" is not based on any factual evidence -- the attacks on Democrats are just a distraction from that truth and the lack of any real evidence to counter it.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 12-26-2019 at 03:12 PM.

I agree with Met`s thinking. It's just that I have never seen a Republican policy that would help most people. Only ones that do the most harm.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I agree with Met`s thinking. It's just that I have never seen a Republican policy that would help most people. Only ones that do the most harm.
    I think the last Republican policy that helped a lot of people was when Nixon created the EPA. Of course, Trump is now in the process of dismantling the EPA.

The GOP philosophy has become "F*** the poor and minorities and pool together all the resources we can for the apocalypse we're helping create by ignoring all warnings that we're killing the planet."

Not even joking, a second term Trump cabinet meeting will look like when Immortan Joe rallies with Rictus Erectus, the Bullet Farmer, and People Eater to find his brides.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

I literally have friends who would not survive a second Trump term, but I do not trust White Americans to prevent it from happening. It's causing a lot of stress in my soul.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Two Kicked Out Of National Guard Over White Supremacist Ties

The military has struggled in recent years to root out members of white supremacist organizations or sympathizers with white power causes. Hmmm! I wonder if Trump will pardon those scumbags. After all, white supremacists are a huge part of his base.

Bernie Sanders Explains Why Low Unemployment Doesn’t Mean Americans Are Better Off

Even as more Americans have jobs, many of these pay low wages, making it hard for families to get by. For Trump, hanging his hat on the economy to keep his poll numbers from flatlining, the numbers are all that matters to him, not the quality of same.

The Growing, Cultish Paranoia Behind ‘Second Amendment Sanctuary’ Counties

Sensible gun control measures? Not if these communities can help it. I'm sure the NRA and the gun lobby just loves this nonsense.

Chuck Todd Scorned After Admitting He Was ‘Naive’ About GOP

The host of “Meet The Press” told Rolling Stone he’s surprised by how willing Republicans are to spread lies and disinformation on behalf of Donald Trump. Todd was more than just naive, he was flat out stupid when it came to the Republican Party.

Trump’s ‘Home Alone 2’ Cameo Cut By CBC Network, Supporters Freak

Some Twitter users suspect a conspiracy, but the CBC says Trump’s scene was cut long before he was president. Yeah, that happened five years ago, but hey, Trumpanzees never allow silly shit like facts to get in the way of a good rant.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

One thing to keep in mind about Trump's movie cameos: Those were not in there because he was such a big star, he only allowed filming on his premises if he was given a line in the movie.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Ultimate Member

Complaining about Democrats at this point is like worrying your landlord might raise the rent next year while your house is burning down today.

White supremacists in the military isnt that shocking considering they and Scientologists both like to seed positions of authority with their members

White supremacists in the military isn't shocking g. The GOP Senate not wanting to keep them from joining should be.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/19/polit...daa/index.html
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

This is an old article, but one I found to still be relevant

This old copy of Bernie Sanders' résumé from the 1980s is extremely short

Recently, I took a trip to Burlington to visit an archive of old Sanders-related materials housed at the Bailey/Howe Library at the University of Vermont. Among many other treasures, I found this undated copy of Sanders' résumé, which could probably have fit on an index card:
    Pete Buttigege is about the same age now as Sanders was back when this resume was written by Sanders. I haven't found a copy of his resume, but I suspect Pete's resume would have more in it.