Page 246 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 146196236242243244245246247248249250256296346746 ... LastLast
Results 3,676 to 3,690 of 17573

Julián Castro endorses Elizabeth Warren for president

(CNN)Former 2020 candidate Julián Castro endorsed Elizabeth Warren on Monday morning, announcing just days after ending his own bid for the White House that he believes Warren is the "one candidate I see who's unafraid to fight like hell to make sure America's promise will be there for everyone."
    The news marks one of the Massachusetts senator's most high-profile endorsements to date, coming just weeks ahead of the Iowa caucuses and at a moment when her political momentum has slowed. Castro, who served as secretary of Housing and Urban Development under President Barack Obama and was formerly mayor of San Antonio, Texas, will appear with Warren at a campaign rally in Brooklyn, New York, Tuesday night, a campaign aide told CNN.

Warren, Castro said in an endorsement video, "will make sure that no matter where you live in America or where your family came from in the world, you have a path to opportunity too. That's why I'm proud to endorse Elizabeth Warren for President."
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Who has the better policies for African Americans and other minorities? Bernie Sanders or Joe "Forced Busing, Crime Bill, Mass incarceration" Biden? And if you are not takking about Biden over Bernie, who are you talking about? Mayor Pete's supporters do not seem like the most diverse bunch ever.

I bet corporate sellouts like Biden or Mayor Pete would cave into the GOP's racist agenda in the name of "bipartisanship". Biden or Mayor Pete can give the GOP the border wall in exchange for deregulation of Wall Street or massive upper class tax cuts.
    So are you saying black voters don't know what is good for them, the way they are STRONGLY rejecting Sanders?
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    So are you saying black voters don't know what is good for them, the way they are STRONGLY rejecting Sanders?
    Black voters have not strongly rejected Sanders.

Sanders trails Biden, but he has more black support than any of the other candidates and he is the number one choice among young black voters.

But unlike those voting for Sanders, Biden's voters aren't enthusiastic about voting for him. The biggest reason behind his support is that he's seen as the safe choice, the best chance at beating Trump.

People think Biden is the best chance at beating Trump because that's what the media keeps telling them, but they're wrong just like they were about Hillary beating him in 2016.
    Bernie2020
    Not Me. Us

Quote Originally Posted by Superbat View Post

Sanders trails Biden, but he has more black support than any of the other candidates and he is the number one choice among young black voters.

But unlike those voting for Sanders, Biden's voters aren't enthusiastic about voting for him. The biggest reason behind his support is that he's seen as the safe choice, the best chance at beating Trump.

People think Biden is the best chance at beating Trump because that's what the media keeps telling them, but they're wrong just like they were about Hillary beating him in 2016.
    This basis of Biden's support is why I see Buttigieg winning this primary if he shatters Biden's veneer of invincibility by beating Biden in Iowa and New Hampshire and taking at least one of them.

Astonishing Member

The media's gauge is polling. That's all they have to gauge what could happen. And obviously polling could be wrong but the way you put it makes it seem like "media" are choosing to back Biden rather than look at available data or potential voter responses

She did beat him in 2016. A few thousand votes in States that practiced voter suppression gave him the election. He will lose the popular vote again. The question is whether he squeezes out an electoral win again.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    That is a Jessie Lee Peterson/PragerU level argument, they use that same logic to hide the racist agenda of the GOP and what they use to maintain structural racism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_ATL9C7sqg

If you don't want to watch the video (it's pretty long and I do not expect you watch the whole thing), it's a leftist debunking a PragerU video where the PragerU presenter uses this logic you just used to support Biden to argue against Affirmative Action and for voter ID Laws. The guy in the video can be a bit crude and thus not for everyone, but yeah this is right-wing talking point logic, making the argument that African Americans are smart enough not to need Ameritive Action or can get a proper ID and ignore that it is structural racism, not a lack of intelligence that is issue at play. You are using the same type of logic right-wingers to promote their ID laws.

PragerU is going to say the left are real racist because they '' don't trust black people to make the right decisions'' and ignores a million other factors, this is just the neoliberal version of that argument.

I think a lot of white and black Democrats like Biden due to name recognition and because he was Obama's VP and have not looked into his record. That doesn't make them stupid, that means they have their own busy lives and have not looked into his record, but to assume Trump will not bring this record to depress turnout for Biden is naive.

But answer me this, on a policy and record level who is better at fighting for the interests of African Americans, Sanders or Biden?
    Last edited by The Overlord; 01-06-2020 at 09:49 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Again, please seriously consider what this means...

Whether it is something you want to have to contend with or not, this is the actual state of things...

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...e-party-094642
    It means, unlike trump supporters, people on the dem can disagree with certain views and still belong in the same party. What creeps me about trump/Bernie supporters is that they are carbon copies of each other. What one likes they all dislike, etc. No individualism.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    She did beat him in 2016. A few thousand votes in States that practiced voter suppression gave him the election. He will lose the popular vote again. The question is whether he squeezes out an electoral win again.
    She should have beaten him because the Electoral College should have been abolished after Bush stole the presidency, and if there was no voter suppression she would have won too but since both do exist, her campaign should have accounted for them.

He will lose the popular vote, but he will win the presidency again if Biden is the nominee.
    Bernie2020
    Not Me. Us

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Trump would still have plenty of ammunition against Sanders. Medicare For All remains unpopular. He stated he wants to give voting rights to convicted terrorists serving life sentences. And the college his wife ran got shut down due to long-standing financial problems.
    I'll never understand this. I went to the ER and the bill came out to $1800. If I didn't have the VA I'd be out a lot of money. How did the GOP con their constituents into believing having their health care financially covered is a negative thing?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    It means, unlike trump supporters, people on the dem can disagree with certain views and still belong in the same party. What creeps me about trump/Bernie supporters is that they are carbon copies of each other. What one likes they all dislike, etc. No individualism.
    Except we are talking about 2 different ideologies here and not everyone who supports Bernie is a zombie, there are some things you can criticize him for, like voting for the crime bill, which I acknowledged, but overall he is still the best candidate. Personally I am somewhat pragmatic and think Warren is an acceptable second choice if she beats Bernie, but you need someone you can present a policy vision to challenge Trump's nonsense.

I think just saying Bernie and Trump's supporters are the same is rather insulting.

Astonishing Member

That is a Jessie Lee Peterson/PragerU level argument, they use that same logic to hide the racist agenda of the GOP and what they use to maintain structural racism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_ATL9C7sqg

I think a lot of white and black Democrats like Biden due to name recognition and because he was Obama's VP and have not looked into his record. That doesn't make them stupid, that means they have their own busy lives and have not looked into his record, but to assume Trump will not bring this record to depress turnout for Biden is naive.

But answer me this, on a policy and record level who is better at fighting for the interests of African Americans, Sanders or Biden?
    I think this part is very true. Black voters have seen a whiplash effect in terms of Obama presidency and the complete dismantling and the systematic "erasure" of every achievement he ever tried to put in place with the trump administration. Biden was by Obama's side and defended him all the way. Its natural that he has a sort of baked in goodwill and support.

The challenge for all the other Democratic nominees is to prove you also actually care about whats going on in Black communities. And that doesn't mean just show up to a few churches during campaign season. That's obvious pandering and wont move the needle on support. Is your campaign staff diverse and reflective of your policies? Grassroots support in black communities educating and reaching out on your policies and how they are better for you than Biden?

Buttigieg for example has a steep hill to climb for that support. He doesn't have a record to stand on to show he will be better for the black community than Biden. He's young and courting Biden's voters but he doesn't have the baked in minority goodwill. He has to prove he would be better choice. He has to use some of that cash to do that in the Primary and not be seen as pandering for the campaign portion.

That's just my opinion on winning the primary portion. The general election should be handled differently IMO. That's when the Democratic party should hammer home everyday to all corners of the potential electorate the real dangers for decades to come of a second trump presidency. It has to be made every day starting at the convention to election day what people can expect for decades to come if they allow trump and McConnell to keep piling courts with these nominees. If they keep allowing trump to just **** up foreign policy, threaten allies, cede ground to China and Russia all over the world. Black, white, center, or progressive, none of your agendas will be advanced and will be farther out of reach in your lifetimes if you allow a second term, period.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I'll never understand this. I went to the ER and the bill came out to $1800. If I didn't have the VA I'd be out a lot of money. How did the GOP con their constituents into believing having their health care financially covered is a negative thing?
    Through selfishness. They frame it less as "your moneys being used to build hospitals you and your family can use free of charge" and more of "THEIR STEALING YOUR MONEY FOR LAZY FREELOADERS"

Except we are talking about 2 different ideologies here and not everyone who supports Bernie is a zombie, there are some things you can criticize him for, like voting for the crime bill, which I acknowledged, but overall he is still the best candidate. Personally I am somewhat pragmatic and think Warren is an acceptable second choice if she beats Bernie, but you need someone you can present a policy vision to challenge Trump's nonsense.

I think just saying Bernie and Trump's supporters are the same is rather insulting.
    My top choices have both dropped (Castro and Harris) so I've got just under a month (February 4th) to figure out who I'll caucus for.

In the past I always picked someone who most closely aligned to my politics, and then when they failed to garner enough support I'd go to my "hold your nose vote".
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KOSLOX View Post
    My top choices have both dropped (Castro and Harris) so I've got just under a month (February 4th) to figure out who I'll caucus for.

In the past I always picked someone who most closely aligned to my politics, and then when they failed to garner enough support I'd go to my "hold your nose vote".
    I live in Canada, so I cannot be involved, but I think the best choices are Bernie and then Warren and then whatever. Some left-wingers really support Gabbard for some reason I do not get, I think she is a grab of political positions and some of them are to the right. I really dislike Mayor Pete and Biden though, but they are still better choices than Trump.