Page 259 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 159209249255256257258259260261262263269309359759 ... LastLast
Results 3,871 to 3,885 of 17573
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Yeah, but Collins is talking about Christian gold star families.
    You sure this isn't your view and not Collins'?

I wrote this a few weeks ago, but making election day a paid holiday seems to be more about partisan advantage than meaningful civic participation.

The first question is whether it's worthwhile to have one less day of productivity so that people can do something that usually takes about an hour, and that a good chunk of them do anyway.

But more importantly, the majority of elections are not determined on election day. In most congressional districts, and maybe even most Senate races, the truly competitive race is the primary. Hell, even presidential races tend to come down to the country' mood. The 2008 election was decided in the Democratic primary and if a general election is actually competitive, it's often because primary voters chose a weak candidate (Would Democrats have even had a shot in 2016 against Rubio or Kasich?)

If the goal is to make it easier to vote only when it's Republicans VS Democrats rather than when it actually matters for who will represent people in Congress and even the White House when it's clear which party will win, it suggests that it's all about perceived partisan advantage rather than increasing meaningful participation.
    It's not one less day of productivity if they switch out Columbus day. Why are you lying about this?

Ruth Bader Ginsburg: "I'm cancer free. That's good."

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    I'm happy that the only person on the court with a history of representing actual people rather than the government or corporations will be there a little longer. We need more with her background on all courts.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

New York City Bar Association asks Congress to investigate Barr conduct

“These public statements by Mr. Barr also contravene the norms applicable to his office and warrant further investigation by Congress as part of an inquiry into Mr. Barr’s conduct as Attorney General more generally,” the group wrote in a six-page letter sent Wednesday to the top Democrat and Republican in each chamber.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

I wrote this a few weeks ago, but making election day a paid holiday seems to be more about partisan advantage than meaningful civic participation.

The first question is whether it's worthwhile to have one less day of productivity so that people can do something that usually takes about an hour, and that a good chunk of them do anyway.

But more importantly, the majority of elections are not determined on election day. In most congressional districts, and maybe even most Senate races, the truly competitive race is the primary. Hell, even presidential races tend to come down to the country' mood. The 2008 election was decided in the Democratic primary and if a general election is actually competitive, it's often because primary voters chose a weak candidate (Would Democrats have even had a shot in 2016 against Rubio or Kasich?)

If the goal is to make it easier to vote only when it's Republicans VS Democrats rather than when it actually matters for who will represent people in Congress and even the White House when it's clear which party will win, it suggests that it's all about perceived partisan advantage rather than increasing meaningful participation.
    Good thing there’s not ‘one less day of productivity’, then. They replaced one ‘less day of productivity’ that celebrated a murderer and slaver with one that celebrates the basis of America’s existence. Replacing Columbus Day as a paid holiday with Voting Day is unquestionably a better choice of vacation day.

Never mind that many countries work many days a year less than we do, and are plenty productive without having a populace that wants to die every day and is too exhausted to take part in their basic rights...

I know that poor people in America don’t matter to Republicans except as indentured slave labor and a misinformed, ignorant voter base...but if you want your ‘concerns’ to be taken seriously, the literal least you can do is recognize that people are worth more than the ‘productivity’ they offer their masters or their perceived loyalty...
    Last edited by zinderel; 01-09-2020 at 02:09 PM.

Ten Republicans sign onto Josh Hawley’s proposal to dismiss Trump’s impeachment

Ten Republican senators have signed onto Sen. Josh Hawley’s proposal to change the Senate rules to enable the chamber to dismiss President Donald Trump’s impeachment.

The Missouri Republican’s proposed rules change would empower the Senate to dismiss articles of impeachment if the House fails to deliver them within 25 days of its impeachment vote.

Hawley’s resolution, unveiled Monday, is a response to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s decision to withhold the articles of impeachment against Trump in an effort to compel the GOP-controlled Senate to call witnesses when it holds its trial of the president. Pelosi’s strategy prevents the Senate from voting to acquit Trump from the charges of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Of all the ways in which you could have worded your response, you managed to pick the worst one.
    You did get that I'm mocking Collins, right?

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    You sure this isn't your view and not Collins'?
    I'm curious as to what I've said in the past that is so outrageously Islamophobic as to indicate that this would be my view.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Trump Supporter Dallas Frazier was just convicted here in Cincinnati for attacking a protester outside of a Trump rally in Cincinnati. He is being sentenced on January 17th.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Anyone surprised that the Republican is arguing against making it easier for people to vote?
    This doesn't really address the substance of the argument.

Why is it only important to make it easier for people to vote on the day of the general election rather than the primaries that actually determine the majority of officeholders?
    Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    The question wasn't whether Harlem or rural Wyoming should make election day a national holiday.

Also, it's impossible to say what impact unburdening countless potential voters will have because it hasn't been done yet.

And democratic governments don't get to decide where voting rights are and aren't applicable based on perceived outcomes.
    The push to make Election Day a holiday isn't limited to Sandusky, Ohio.

Geographic sorting does mean than the majority of congressional and legislative seats aren't competitive on the day of the general election (unless primary voters choose a real stinker, like Alabama Republicans going for Roy Moore.)

I'm not really sure this is a rights question. Whether city leaders can make this change to the contracts of 250 employees is a different question from whether they should do it.

It's not one less day of productivity if they switch out Columbus day. Why are you lying about this?
    As I noted, I was repeating a comment from earlier regarding a larger argument.

Swapping out Columbus Day would still result in lost productivity (or in the case of unpaid leave, lost income for the workers) for all the places that don't allow workers to take off Columbus Day.

For the rest, it trades a three day weekend for a Tuesday off. This wouldn't be solved by moving Election Day to Friday or Monday, since that defeats the purpose of a day of voting if people have more opportunity to be away from their polling site.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

What if Election Day were treated like Jury Duty, where people are required to be reimbursed for their time off in the name of fulfilling their civic duty?

Have we ever had a majority of citizens vote in a general election?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    Trump Supporter Dallas Frazier was just convicted here in Cincinnati for attacking a protester outside of a Trump rally in Cincinnati. He is being sentenced on January 17th.
    I was in Cincy the morning after that rally. I know rallies typically are messy, but boy were they especially slovenly.

This doesn't really address the substance of the argument.
    You're right. I'm not really interested in talking to you about it. You're just telling on yourself in this instance and it's plainly obvious.

BANNED

I see no rational downside for the nation to have Election Day be a holiday. We live in a democratic republic, encouraging the citizenry to be active members of the process is at the very heart of what we believe to be right.

It's long overdue to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    I see no rational downside for the nation to have Election Day be a holiday. We live in a democratic republic, encouraging the citizenry to be active members of the process is at the very heart of what we believe to be right.

It's long overdue to happen.
    But why should this be limited only to Election Day, rather than primaries?

Or should we also have national (or state) holidays for primaries?

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    You're right. I'm not really interested in talking to you about it. You're just telling on yourself in this instance and it's plainly obvious.
    Then why respond at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    What if Election Day were treated like Jury Duty, where people are required to be reimbursed for their time off in the name of fulfilling their civic duty?

Have we ever had a majority of citizens vote in a general election?
    Majority of citizens is going to be tough, since many Americans can't vote (IE- minors.)

It does appear that majorities of voting age citizens do vote, or at least do profess to have voted.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/blog...n_america.html

https://bipartisanpolicy.org/wp-cont...ull-Report.pdf
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets