Page 32 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642821325321032 ... LastLast

Bigger than bin Laden? 3 striking things about Trump’s announcement that Baghdadi is dead.

President Trump announced Sunday morning that a U.S. operation in Syria led to the death of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the leader of the Islamic State. Three things about the announcement were striking.

First is the amount of detail Trump provided — far more than to which we’re accustomed in such announcements. He talked about how long he knew about the operation, when he showed up in the Situation Room, how the operation was undertaken and how everyone died — including Baghdadi’s wives and children. He even provided some narrative of the deadly moment.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    You don't understand how intergraded NATO is. Turkey can't easily be brought to heel because of the infrastructure which is located there. If you watched the NATO press conference on DW English you'd know why this is such a thorny issue -

Russia was our ally during WW2 but we sure as **** didnt thank them for their gulags did we ?

John Conyers, longest serving black congressman, dies at 90

DETROIT — Former U.S. Rep. John Conyers, one of the longest-serving members of Congress whose resolutely liberal stance on civil rights made him a political institution in Washington and back home in Detroit despite several scandals, has died. He was 90.

Conyers, among the high-profile politicians toppled by sex harassment allegations in 2017, died at his home on Sunday, said Detroit police spokesman Cpl. Dan Donakowski. The death "looks like natural causes," Donakowski added.

Known as the dean of the Congressional Black Caucus, which he helped found, Conyers became one of only six black House members when he was won his first election by just 108 votes in 1964. The race was the beginning of more than 50 years of election dominance: Conyers regularly won elections with more than 80 percent of the vote, even after his wife went to prison for taking a bribe.

Also, why did Trump inform the Russians of the raid's outcome before Congressional leaders?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...e01_story.html
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Since you purport to know so much, then you can explain how Turkey deserves praise for the Al-Baghdadi raid? What did the do that deserved Trump giving them a shout out, other than being one of three authoritarian regimes that Trump is in the tank for?
    They don't deserve praise. Their actions are straining the NATO Alliance and hamstringing its efforts in Syria.

IMO, Turkey never should have been admitted as a NATO in 1952 due to their longstanding internal political, social and ethnic problems (such as not admitting their role in the Armenian Genocide and their fascist practice of institutionalized unquestioning loyalty to Turkish ethnic identity) but they were. Ironic it was fear of the USSR which was the driving force behind Turkish admittance to NATO and now their cozy relationship with one of its successor states Russia is undermining NATO unity.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

They don't deserve praise. Their actions are straining the NATO Alliance and hamstringing its efforts in Syria.
    And that was the point. Thank you.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Here is an example of how Erdogan of Turkey keeps his European "allies" (in name only honestly) in line. This occurred at the start of the Turkish offensive in Syria -

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Russia was our ally during WW2 but we sure as **** didnt thank them for their gulags did we ?
    The gulags were little known in the West until after the Second World War. During the War, many poptical figures preferred to downplay the extent of the Gulags so as to "maintain Allied unity". Many people in America even called Stalin "Uncle Joe" during this time.

https://www.quora.com/Why-was-Joseph...lled-uncle-joe

https://etd.ohiolink.edu/rws_etd/doc...5175828/inline

You don't have to spell anything out to me pal. I know a great deal about how diplomacy works and alliances function. I do not approve of Turkey or what they have done but they are a formal alley regardless of their current leadership and action. No one in politics will ever shun them from NATO as you seem to want because of the consequences of doing so. This is the real world we are talking about not an Internet Forum. Watch the clips you might actually learn something.
    Serious questions:
    Do a lot of points go over your head in everyday life?

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    And that was the point. Thank you.
    And my point is they are a formal alley you said none of these countries are allies. I'm not saying they deserve to be just that they are an alley.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    Serious questions:
    Do a lot of points go over your head in everyday life?
    Is your mind so closed you can't learn anything new? Are you a mindless fanatic who thinks they know everything?

Insult me and I'll insult you right back so stop being rude.

Is your mind so closed you can't learn anything?
    That is what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    That is what I thought.
    Go watch the clips I posted expand your mind before it is too late (if it isn't already).

Keep insulting me and making things personal I'll snap right back at you all day long.

And my point is they are a formal alley you said none of these countries are allies. I'm not saying they deserve to be just that they are an alley.
    Turkey is in NATO, and technically is an Ally. I agree, that is fact. Though, under any other Presidential Administration, there would be concern that they aren't acting like ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Turkey is in NATO, and technically is an Ally. I agree, that is fact. Though, under any other Presidential Administration, there would be concern that they aren't acting like ones.
    Indeed there would be such concern. I simply don't know what could be done about it. Erdogan is basically holding the EU hostage (who are mostly NATO members as well) by threatening them with a massive flow of Syrian refugees they are ill-equipped to absorb. Worse, NATO has shared massive amounts of technology and defense data with Turkey over the decades. If NATO reprimands Turkey many fear they'll turn around and leave the Alliance perhaps even sharing what they know with their new buddies in Russia (and by extension China and Iran).