Page 349 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 249299339345346347348349350351352353359399449849 ... LastLast
Results 5,221 to 5,235 of 17573

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    I guarandamntee you I'd be talking about it if Biden or Warren promoted someone who claimed black neighborhoods were like The Planet of the Apes.
    When you say promoted, you mean accepting his endorsement.
    Bernie2020
    Not Me. Us

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superbat View Post
    When you say promoted, you mean accepting his endorsement.

"Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders is facing a backlash after he touted a thumbs-up from a podcast host loathed by many liberals.

The clip was tweeted by the Sanders campaign and has been watched over four million times."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51241462

"tout -- to advertise, talk about, or praise something or someone repeatedly, especially as a way of encouraging people to like, accept, or buy something: The minister has been touting these ideas for some time. He is being widely touted as the next leader of the party."

"Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders is facing a backlash after he touted a thumbs-up from a podcast host loathed by many liberals.

The clip was tweeted by the Sanders campaign and has been watched over four million times."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51241462

"tout -- to advertise, talk about, or praise something or someone repeatedly, especially as a way of encouraging people to like, accept, or buy something: The minister has been touting these ideas for some time. He is being widely touted as the next leader of the party."
    Touted is the phrase used by the reporter.

Sanders publicly accepted the endorsement. The tweet is of Rogan explaining why he's voting for Bernie and Bernie quoting him.
    Bernie2020
    Not Me. Us

Ultimate Member

Touted is the phrase used by the reporter.

Sanders publicly accepted the endorsement. The tweet is of Rogan explaining why he's voting for Bernie and Bernie quoting him.
    He praised and retweeted the endorsement, just as Trump frequently retweeted neo-Nazis and other white supremacists during his candidacy.

When people say Sanders supporters are cultlike -- this is what they mean.

Again, no other Democratic candidate (including Obama) would be allowed to get away with this and neither should Sanders.

-----
    "Bernie Sanders Really Shouldn’t Be Touting Joe Rogan’s Plan to Vote for Him"

"Rogan’s comments might prompt some Sanders skeptics to think twice, so it’s not hard to understand why the campaign seized on it. But ever since the ad dropped, I’ve wondered if the campaign has any idea whose opinion it’s celebrating.

I understand Rogan’s appeal. I was once a regular listener. Although not all of my colleagues would agree, I found him to be a genuinely funny, engaging host who welcomes his guests to try to prove him wrong. But the more I tuned in, the more uncomfortable I got. Under the albeit honorable guise of giving every end of the political spectrum a fair shake, he’s introduced his mega-audience to guests with unquestionably racist and sexist views, which go largely unchallenged.

In one episode, his guest Gad Saad floated the debunked myth that the term Islamophobia only exists as a political ploy to give cover to dangerous foreign Islamist groups. In another, Gavin McInnes, founder of the Proud Boys, a violent far-right gang, uses bogus statistics to argue that the Muslim world, where my family immigrated from, is too inbred for the West. Rogan also makes a game of having white people say the N-word and dabbles in transphobia and sexism, all nonchalantly mixed in with sometimes genuinely nuanced conversations about foreign policy, media, and sports.

That these views are smuggled in between seemingly thoughtful conversations makes the unchecked bigotry all the more dangerous...

Should I think twice about voting for someone who will embrace people who entertain those arguments too?

I don’t know the answers, but to be honest, I didn’t expect to have to ask these questions either. I agree with Rogan that Sanders been especially consistent on civil rights. But I also believe it’s essential to condemn pundits for their proximity to racism. Sam Harris and Bill Maher are other popular podcasters I’ve had to quit because they’ve dabbled with xenophobia. Sanders’ acceptance of Rogan feels like an affront to my religious dignity, and the dignity of a lot of other people he hopes will vote for him.

And I’m not quite sure what to do."

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...ement-bad.html
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 01-24-2020 at 06:47 PM.

He praised and retweeted the endorsement, just as Trump frequently retweeted neo-Nazis and other white supremacists during his candidacy.
    What praise? The tweet is a video of Rogan explaining why he's voting for Bernie. The text included is what he said in the video.

Where's the praise? Where is he talking about what a great guy Rogan is? It's not there.

When people say Sanders supporters are cultlike -- this is what they mean.
    How is this cultlike? I still think Joe Rogan is a human trash. I'm not going to watch his show, and if Bernie did speak positively about Rogan, it would not change a single thing about how I feel about Rogan.

Again, no other Democratic candidate (including Obama) would be allowed to get away with this and neither should Sanders.
    When are you going to criticize Warren and Biden for wanting to appear on his show?
    Bernie2020
    Not Me. Us

Ultimate Member

When are you going to criticize Warren and Biden for wanting to appear on his show?
    When I see actual proof outside of Rogan's claims that they wanted to go on his show, and they then go on his show, and then retweet his endorsement.

Bernie's endorsements from Sunrise, National Nurses United, Naomi Klein, Shaun King, Cornel West and all the other activists get ignored. No one here talks about any those endorsements.

But now that there's an endorsement you can criticize, it becomes the focus of the thread.
    Bernie2020
    Not Me. Us

Ultimate Member

But now that there's an endorsement you can criticize, it becomes the focus of the thread.
    You're more than welcome to focus on something else if you don't want to discuss Sanders retweeting the endorsement of an individual who has made transphobic and racist comments in the past, while frequently allowing the alt-right to appear on his show and to espouse their xenophobic and racist views practically unchallenged.

Needless to say, others might see it as problematic and therefore worth discussing.

When I see actual proof outside of Rogan's claims that they wanted to go on his show, and they then go on his show, and then retweet his endorsement.
    Smart move. You don't have to criticize anything if you pretend it never happened.

Getting rejected is really working out for them.
    Bernie2020
    Not Me. Us

Bernie's endorsements from Sunrise, National Nurses United, Naomi Klein, Shaun King, Cornel West and all the other activists get ignored. No one here talks about any those endorsements.

Negative news has always been the top attention getter.
    Dark does not mean deep.

You're more than welcome to focus on something else if you don't want to discuss Sanders retweeting the endorsement of an individual who has made transphobic and racist comments in the past, while frequently allowing the alt-right to appear on his show and to espouse their xenophobic and racist views practically unchallenged.
    Discuss it all you want.

I don't think it's a good move on Bernie's part to embrace Rogan's endorsement, but I'm not wrong about why this endorsement is the one people here want to talk about it.
    Bernie2020
    Not Me. Us

You're more than welcome to focus on something else if you don't want to discuss Sanders retweeting the endorsement of an individual who has made transphobic and racist comments in the past, while allowing the alt right to appear on his show and to espouse their xenophobic and racist views practically unchallenged.
    Yes...

Because HRC taking an actually lousy position on LGBT issues got a bunch of focus when she still could wind up running for president.

Smart move. You don't have to criticize anything if you pretend it never happened.

Getting rejected is really working out for them.
    Currently what proof do we have that anything did happen? The word of one guy? Anything solid or just that?
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Negative news has always been the top attention getter.
    I 100% get why the media wants to focus on this. It's a juicy story that will generate conflict. I got no problem with people criticizing Bernie for tweeting out the endorsement.

In this thread though, negative stuff about the other candidates is kept to a minimum. If we do bring it up, we're called Bernie bros that are going to cost the Democrats the election.
    Bernie2020
    Not Me. Us

Ultimate Member

Discuss it all you want.

I don't think it's a good move on Bernie's part to embrace Rogan's endorsement, but I'm not wrong about why this endorsement is the one people here want to talk about it.
    So you're arguing that LGBT and African Americans (and other minorities and individuals) only want to discuss this because Sanders is involved.

Then I suppose there's nothing else to say to you (or other Sanders supporters) on the matter and I guess we'll just see how this plays out from this point on.