Page 490 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 390440480486487488489490491492493494500540590990 ... LastLast
Results 7,336 to 7,350 of 17573

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    After last night's debate, I'm convinced Mayor Pete is our best shot. After the Impeachment debacle, we can't afford to take a chance on a flawed candidate no matter how well-meaning. We need the strongest candidate possible one who will appeal to Middle America. Pete presents well and his ideas aren't extreme. "Intentions are less Important than Outcome".
    I think the Democrats perhaps need a candidate with George Washington's honesty, Lincoln's resolve, Eisenhower's tact, Kennedy's charisma, Nixon's trickery and maybe also Theodore Roosevelt's masculinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Based on a subsection of the internet?
    No, the primaries, the debates, the lack of action in the Democratic-controlled House of Representatives, and possibly the corruption in the DNC

Pete Buttigieg Funded by Russian-Linked Oligarch Who Supports Trump and McConnell

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile...and-mcconnell/

"Democratic presidential candidate and former South Bend, Indiana mayor Pete Buttigieg is facing questions after recent revelations that his 2020 effort has taken campaign contributions from an infamous Republican Party billionaire with direct links to the Russian oligarchy. That’s according Federal Election Commission (FEC) data reviewed by Law&Crime.

Previously described in the press as “The Giver,” Leonard “Len” Blavatnik is a well-known GOP donor with a New York address who previously took it upon himself to fund President Donald Trump‘s lavish — and allegedly criminal — inauguration festivities in 2017 to the tune of some $1 million.

Now, Blavatnik and his wife are apparently shifting allegiances. As of this writing, they have donated thousands of dollars to Pete for America, Inc., Buttigieg’s official campaign organization.

A summer 2017 commentary for the Dallas Morning News by Ruth May catalogues a bit more of Blavatnik’s political spending habits:

Donald Trump and the political action committees for Mitch McConnell, Marco Rubio, Scott Walker, Lindsey Graham, John Kasich and John McCain accepted $7.35 million in contributions from a Ukrainian-born oligarch who is the business partner of two of Russian president Vladimir Putin‘s favorite oligarchs and a Russian government bank.

Citing public data available via the FEC and from campaign finance data clearinghouse OpenSecrets, May notes that most of Blavatnik’s largesse was distributed among Republicans during the 2015-2016 election campaign–accounting for $6.35 million of the oligarch’s spending up to that point.

“Mitch McConnell was the top [individual] recipient of Blavatnik’s donations, collecting $2.5 million for his GOP Senate Leadership Fund under the names of two of Blavatnik’s holding companies, Access Industries and AI Altep Holdings,” she wrote.

A January 2019 Quartz article describes another notable expenditure:

Trump’s campaign didn’t receive any Blavatnik cash during the 2016 campaign but he has donated large sums to the Republican National Committee’s legal fund, which has helped finance Trump’s legal defense for the Russia probe, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Aside from the large sums of campaign cash doled out to leading Republicans, Blavatnik has largely been considered problematic by the media and Beltway establishment because of his documented ties to Vladimir Putin and the Russian leader’s inner circle."
    Bernie2020
    Not Me. Us

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post

The bigger surprise in Iowa was that Biden drastically underperfomed. Not just lost. His team was literally stunned by how little support there was for him. Going forward that's the big take away because Biden was already struggling for money and donors are now looking at other people because he shook their confidence. Now other candidates are starting to cutting into states where Biden was supposed to be playing prevent defense on. Biden needs strong decisive wins in the South to have a chance at winning one. It can't be small splits. He should be scared out of his mind that Nevada is basically a toss up right now and Steyer and Sanders are starting to make moves in South Carolina. If he has anything less than a dominant win there, it's over for him.
    There are concerns about Biden's stutter and senility that already may have damaged his chances in Iowa. When he stuttered before a crowd and on nationwide television, he didn't look very presidential did he?

BANNED

HEARTWARMING
    Vancouver 8-year-old raises $4,015 to pay off school lunch debt
    Keoni Ching made custom key chains and sold them for $5.

I love where this kid's heart is since he's the future. We need people like him.
    But I have to ask, why is there such a thing called student lunch debt?
    I get they are trying to give us a "feel good" story, but this ain't it

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    You go ahead and give a damn if that makes you feel better. I’m not going to worry about polls in FEBRUARY when the election is in NOVEMBER.
    And this is why I can make a prediction a year or more in advance and be right while others can't. I follow and analyze the data at all times.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superbat View Post
    Pete Buttigieg Funded by Russian-Linked Oligarch Who Supports Trump and McConnell
    I think Bernie Bros are reaching far on this one. Blavatnik has also donated to Hillary, Obama, Kamala, Rubio, McCain...not sure where his political views land but he's donated to both parties. He's also been knighted for his philanthropy.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I think Bernie Bros are reaching far on this one. Blavatnik has also donated to Hillary, Obama, Kamala, Rubio, McCain...not sure where his political views land but he's donated to both parties. He's also been knighted for his philanthropy.
    Yeah, I thought when I read this "headline" not this crap again. I'm sorry but most of the nation has Russia and Ukraine fatigue at this point. True or not, it doesn't resonate with your average voter who sees it as a non-issue. Everyone I know laughs or ignores the Media whenever Russia or Ukraine are brought up. The way to beat Trump is to attack his domestic record not by bringing up the ghost of Putin 2016.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-08-2020 at 04:58 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Then people need to stop saying neolibs like Biden are the safer and more electable choice because quite frankly the Republican Party has a ressurection on their watch.
    People don't "say that," that was from polling. The GOP aren't in danger of dying right now, and Sanders certainly isn't going to kill it.

The reason you are getting FDR comparisons is because they were both populists and they both have similar policy ideals and the belief that if they can ram one of them through that it would become too popular to ever lose (like Obamacare which is being dismantled).

Also Roosevelt never accomplished anything at the Federal level before he became President. So there's that as well.
    It's a silly comparison, Sanders having some common themes is not proof that he's magically going to become FDR once in office. He's going to get his own Obamacare as the conditions haven't been altered from when in Obama was in office. Obamacare was vulnerable due to the congress makeup, Sanders is going to find out how he "fights" would implode since he hasn't got the skills to herd them like he needs to.

As a senator FDR caused a deadlock with legislature against the corrupt wing of the Democrats, who had a stranglehold over it before he arrived and he was the Assistant Secretary of the Navy when WWI broke out. He wasn't a nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbat View Post

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile...and-mcconnell/

"Democratic presidential candidate and former South Bend, Indiana mayor Pete Buttigieg is facing questions after recent revelations that his 2020 effort has taken campaign contributions from an infamous Republican Party billionaire with direct links to the Russian oligarchy. That’s according Federal Election Commission (FEC) data reviewed by Law&Crime.

Previously described in the press as “The Giver,” Leonard “Len” Blavatnik is a well-known GOP donor with a New York address who previously took it upon himself to fund President Donald Trump‘s lavish — and allegedly criminal — inauguration festivities in 2017 to the tune of some $1 million.

Now, Blavatnik and his wife are apparently shifting allegiances. As of this writing, they have donated thousands of dollars to Pete for America, Inc., Buttigieg’s official campaign organization.

A summer 2017 commentary for the Dallas Morning News by Ruth May catalogues a bit more of Blavatnik’s political spending habits:

Donald Trump and the political action committees for Mitch McConnell, Marco Rubio, Scott Walker, Lindsey Graham, John Kasich and John McCain accepted $7.35 million in contributions from a Ukrainian-born oligarch who is the business partner of two of Russian president Vladimir Putin‘s favorite oligarchs and a Russian government bank.

Citing public data available via the FEC and from campaign finance data clearinghouse OpenSecrets, May notes that most of Blavatnik’s largesse was distributed among Republicans during the 2015-2016 election campaign–accounting for $6.35 million of the oligarch’s spending up to that point.

“Mitch McConnell was the top [individual] recipient of Blavatnik’s donations, collecting $2.5 million for his GOP Senate Leadership Fund under the names of two of Blavatnik’s holding companies, Access Industries and AI Altep Holdings,” she wrote.

A January 2019 Quartz article describes another notable expenditure:

Trump’s campaign didn’t receive any Blavatnik cash during the 2016 campaign but he has donated large sums to the Republican National Committee’s legal fund, which has helped finance Trump’s legal defense for the Russia probe, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Aside from the large sums of campaign cash doled out to leading Republicans, Blavatnik has largely been considered problematic by the media and Beltway establishment because of his documented ties to Vladimir Putin and the Russian leader’s inner circle."
    We're talking about a little over $5000 here.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

4AF3F661-5F5B-406B-80B5-1E76F2F090C6.jpg

What a maroon (skinned idiot)

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    He had a good showing but let’s not forget about the 800 pound gorilla in the room. The fact that he’s gay will no doubt turn off a lot of older, religious, and centerist voters. He’ll need the support of Black and Hispanic communities. Both of which are still very very religious. I don’t think they would vote for Trump, but it may be enough of an issue to make people stay home on Election Day. Currently I don’t think a lot of people know that he’s gay. Trump will make damn sure everyone is made aware.

I’m in no way condoning this ignorance but his sexual orientation will be a big factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Sad, but true. You are correct.
    I'm with you. I live in Indiana and our primary isn't until May and if he is still in the running I'm voting for him. It is so ironic that a candidate that many are starting to realize is the Democrats' best chance is going to turn off some voters for that very reason. Who the hell cares? I'd rather have a gay man as president that an aging, demented, racist S.O.B and I am being kind in my assessment.

BANNED

It's quite obvious where his political views land, as everyone you listed has right-wing politics.

Some are simply further to the right than others.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I won't be shocked if Pete becomes the candidate, lot of folks especially black folks will stay home. I'm not even thinking of his sexuality. Pete doesn't inspire confidence and there's his troubles with the black community in South Bend.
    Until today, I didn't realize that 17 states are having fully open Primaries. Given that information, I think Sanders chances of winning the nomination just shot up in my book. Not so much because Independents favor Bernie more - there isn't really that much of a change from the number of states that had open Primaries in 2016, from what I gather. Since most Republicans won't be voting for whom they want for their Republican candidate, though, many will be voting for the candidate that they think Trump has the best chance of winning against. Given that they are so afraid of the 'S' word, and likely think most Americans are, too, many of them in these 17 states will probably come out and vote for Sanders, which might be the edge he needs to become the Democratic candidate.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Reminds me of that character from Stephen King's The Dead Zone. He donates to Stillson's campaign even though he hates him. But he tells Johnny Smith that Stillson might win, so he wants to be on his good side if he does.