Page 519 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 194194695095155165175185195205215225235295696191019 ... LastLast
Results 7,771 to 7,785 of 17573

Well, how many people are in this primary now?

https://nypost.com/2020/02/11/former...oc-in-primary/

Former CNBC anchor Michelle Caruso-Cabrera to take on AOC in primary

McConnell urges opposition to effort to constrain Trump's Iran war powers
    Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is urging senators to reject efforts to rein in President Trump's ability to take military action against Iran without congressional approval.

The Senate is expected to vote this week on a resolution from Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) that would require Trump to end any military hostilities against Tehran within 30 days.

"I will strongly oppose our colleague's effort and urge the Senate to defeat it," McConnell said from the Senate floor.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    This helps Sanders in my opinion. Most of Yang's support will go to Sanders, possibly a few to Warren or Mayor Pete.
    Maybe?

I just wonder if they are close enough to the outskirts that the reason to potentially stay involved might go away with their candidate of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Well, how many people are in this primary now?

https://nypost.com/2020/02/11/former...oc-in-primary/
    AOC has a lot of support, but she also has irked many others from what I have heard and read. In other words, she is divisive, you either really like her or you don't like her at all. The question then becomes, in her district, do the 'Likes' outweigh the 'Dislikes'.

this is what her competition is trying to fins out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    AOC has a lot of support, but she also has irked many others from what I have heard and read. In other words, she is divisive, you either really like her or you don't like her at all. The question then becomes, in her district, do the 'Likes' outweigh the 'Dislikes'.

this is what her competition is trying to fins out.
    Could be.

I was almost wondering if folks are taking a run at the seat just because it's current occupant has put a spotlight on it.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Black voters could have been talked into supporting Sanders or Warren. If Mayor Pete becomes the candidate, a lot of black voters will probably stay home.
    Sadly, I can guess why, and that would be cutting off their noses to spite their faces in the worst possible way. I for one WON'T be one of those narrow minded voters because the stakes are too damn high, I've said this before, and I'll say it again, I don't give a **** who the candidate is, I'll vote for him (or her) if he (or she) can beat Trump. Period. Full stop. End of story.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Trump says military may consider discipline for ousted aide Vindman

The same military he overruled in it's lawful punishment of Navy SEAL Eddie Gallagher for war crimes? But now Trump longs for Vindman to face discipline for ratting on him about Ukraine. Hilarious!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    So with all the talk about Klobuchar surging, she still winds up fourth, just behind Warren.
    She was a strong 3rd with nearly double the votes of Warren who finished a distant 4th.

This thrills me because Klobuchar is my favorite amongst the dems. She is realistic on her policies unlike Sanders and Warren who believe there is unlimited money and are extremists policy wise, she is experienced, and she would destroy Trump in a debate just like she won the last dem debate.

It would still shock me for her to win but if she continues the recent surge she could be a strong candidate for VP since you know if one of the white male wins the nomination they will automatically look to a woman for the vice president spot and Klobuchar would be qualified.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    She was a strong 3rd with nearly double the votes of Warren who finished a distant 4th.

This thrills me because Klobuchar is my favorite amongst the dems. She is realistic on her policies unlike Sanders and Warren who believe there is unlimited money and are extremists policy wise, she is experienced, and she would destroy Trump in a debate just like she won the last dem debate.

It would still shock me for her to win but if she continues the recent surge she could be a strong candidate for VP since you know if one of the white male wins the nomination they will automatically look to a woman for the vice president spot and Klobuchar would be qualified.
    For now this should be taken with a grain of salt, but it does look like her background is being questioned

In Klobuchar’s past, questions about a teen jailed for life

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — During a presidential debate, Amy Klobuchar defended her tough-on-crime record during her days as a top Minneapolis prosecutor.

She recounted a story that has helped propel her political career, including her 2007 Senate bid: Members of the African American community were seeking justice for kids killed in gun violence, she said. When a little girl was struck by a stray bullet while doing homework at the dining room table, Klobuchar’s office helped put away the shooter.

But what if Myon Burrell — a black teen sentenced to life in prison — was innocent?

A year-long Associated Press investigation has uncovered new evidence and myriad inconsistencies in the police investigation.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    For now this should be taken with a grain of salt, but it does look like her background is being questioned

In Klobuchar’s past, questions about a teen jailed for life
    Nearly every Democratic candidate in the running either has a problem with racial issues or with ignoring racial issues.

They tend to take those voters for granted, even when they finally acknowledge they need people of color to win Democratic elections.

Whether this is how the Democrats shoot themselves in the foot this time around remains to be seen.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 02-12-2020 at 05:15 AM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Sadly, I can guess why, and that would be cutting off their noses to spite their faces in the worst possible way. I for one WON'T be one of those narrow minded voters because the stakes are too damn high, I've said this before, and I'll say it again, I don't give a **** who the candidate is, I'll vote for him (or her) if he (or she) can beat Trump. Period. Full stop. End of story.
    I'm not going to pretend that I can read everyone's minds, but a fair number of black voters see Pete as someone who at best doesn't have their concerns at heart and at worst is a tool for racists backers. To them, voting for Pete would be just trading one racist for another.

Ultimate Member

I'm not going to pretend that I can read everyone's minds, but a fair number of black voters see Pete as someone who at best doesn't have their concerns at heart and at worst is a tool for racists backers. To them, voting for Pete would be just trading one racist for another.
    I think there are also many (like ourselves) who understand what we are dealing with respect to the political process and will vote accordingly.

It certainly doesn't help, however, that these candidates tend to be given a pass -- and promoted -- by voters who don't view these things as problematic.

When Trump is calling Bloomberg out as "racist" for promoting the same policies he supported, it's a reflection of a much larger problem in our society.

I'll add that Sanders having virtually no record on racial issues -- outside of voting for a bill that many of his supporters try to criticize other Democrats for voting for as well -- is not a positive in his favor, and that's without even getting into the issues of sexism that plagued his campaign last time around.

When people talk about these candidates "inspiring" voters, many selectively ignore the loyal Democrats who aren't being "inspired" by these candidates.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 02-12-2020 at 06:24 AM.

BANNED

The sense I get from Buttigieg is that he's probably not personally prejudiced but is just weak on race issues, and all other issues really, because he needs the support of police unions and the like to further his political ambitions and won't risk that to help the underprivileged. If by some miracle he ends up actually winning the election, I can definitely see him caving on just about every Republican demand in the name of healing the divide and moving forward toward the future or whatever other nonsense catchphrase. In a way he kind of represents the final evolution of the white centrist, because for the last few decades Democratic candidates would always pretend to stand for racial justice on the campaign trail but inevitably leave minorities high and dry when in office, to the point where they basically lost all credibility and people would just tune out all the usual moderate boilerplate about America being the land of opportunity for everyone or whatever. Candidates like Buttigieg aren't even pretending to care about minorities anymore, the implicit message is that black voters will have to get in line and vote for him or else be effectively declaring for Trump, he certainly isn't promising anything that will help them in any way.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    In a way he kind of represents the final evolution of the white centrist, because for the last few decades Democratic candidates would always pretend to stand for racial justice on the campaign trail but inevitably leave minorities high and dry when in office, to the point where they basically lost all credibility and people would just tune out all the usual moderate boilerplate about America being the land of opportunity for everyone or whatever.
    Untrue -- Obama repeatedly attempted to address racial issues openly but pulled back when he was met with blowback from American voters in general and, especially, from the Republican party that tried to paint him as a "Kenyan Muslim" who was racist against white people.

Which was very effective, given the fact that one of the godfathers of "birtherism" is now our president, despite being blatantly underqualified for office.

It's not that "centrist" candidates (like Castro or Harris) don't address racial issues, it's that many American voters would rather vote for someone like Buttigieg, Bloomberg, or Trump who actually have problematic histories with regards to racial issues -- this is the harsh truth that lots of people simply don't want to even address because it's the "ugly underneath" of American politics, and has been since the very foundation of this country.

Many of your attacks on "centrists" are simply not rooted in fact -- Obama passed legislation that addressed racial issues directly (such as anti-discrimination legislation, police reform, and "My Brother's Keeper" along with Bloomberg) as well as equal pay for women and similar initiatives, and he no doubt would have done more if he had the support of American voters (and a Republican-led) Congress behind him after the first midterm elections.

Even Bloomberg has acknowledged he was wrong and that he never knew of things like "Black Wall Street" before being educated on the matter, and now claims that he wants to launch a $70 billion dollar initiative to invest in African-American businesses and communities to address past and present iniquities.

Conversely, what is Sanders now doing to directly address racial (or gender) inequality in America.

Instead of constantly attacking "centrists" with little factual basis, explain why your candidate is better (than a "centrist" like Obama) with respect to said issues -- negative campaigning is not going to win you support for Sanders when there's little evidence that he will do any better on those issues than those that came before him.

To the contrary, it depresses Democratic turnout by feeding into the narrative that Democrats don't care about the concerns of "minority" voters -- whether it's Sanders, Bloomberg or Buttigieg.

Last edited by aja_christopher; 02-12-2020 at 07:43 AM.

Utah lawmakers halt efforts to recall, censure Romney over Trump impeachment vote: Instead, they'll offer a resolution to thank Trump for all he's done for the state.

Utah lawmakers said Tuesday they won't consider proposals to censure or recall U.S. Sen. Mitt Romney following his vote to convict President Donald Trump at his impeachment trial.

Utah House Speaker Brad Wilson said the Republican caucus decided not to advance either proposal following a "robust debate" behind closed doors. Instead, Wilson will be present a citation thanking the president for his administration’s work on issues "critical to Utah."

The citation will also urge Congress to put the contentious process behind them.