Page 52 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253545556621021525521052 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Duckworth, man. Duckworth.
    I'd vote for her, but is America ready for both a woman President and a woman Vice-President?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I'd vote for her, but is America ready for both a woman President and a woman Vice-President?
    As much as I would love that, I doubt it. My hunch is that Hillary had to fight that old prejudice plus the electoral college crap otherwise I think her total vote would have been higher. But that is hard to prove.

Look at how many other countries have had a woman head of state before us, and I'm not counting a monarchy. The UK, Germany, India, Israel, Norway, Ireland, Phillippines, Pakistan, etc. Why are we so far behind every one in that respect?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    As much as I would love that, I doubt it. My hunch is that Hillary had to fight that old prejudice plus the electoral college crap otherwise I think her total vote would have been higher. But that is hard to prove.

Look at how many other countries have had a woman head of state before us, and I'm not counting a monarchy. The UK, Germany, India, Israel, Norway, Ireland, Phillippines, Pakistan, etc. Why are we so far behind every one in that respect?
    One word: Evangelicals.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    One word: Evangelicals.
    I’m not sure you can blame the lack of female leadership on Evangelicals. A lot of movements within Evangelicalism are lead by females.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Two women, one white, one minority disabled combat vet mother.

One woman, one gay man.

Something interesting is going to happen, IMHO.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I’m not sure you can blame the lack of female leadership on Evangelicals. A lot of movements within Evangelicalism are lead by females.
    Any group that actively seeks to control and regulate women, women's health, and choices regarding their own bodies aren't likely to welcome a female president, much less a female president and a vice-president.

An interesting read on the homeless.

Who Are the Homeless?

Next time somebody comments about the high homeless rates in California cities.....

However, during a site visit to San Diego, committee members were informed by both public officials and advocates for the homeless that San Diego's adult homeless male population was composed largely of young men from the West and Midwest who had come to the Southwest in search of jobs.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Five senators to watch on impeachment.

Still, two key groups in the GOP caucus are worth watching as the impeachment saga moves to the Senate, political observers say. The first is made up of veteran senators who’ve announced their retirement in 2020. These lawmakers may be looking at how their achievements and decisions over the next year or so might shape the future of the Senate as an institution – and their place in history.

This group includes Senator Alexander of Tennessee, Sen. Richard Burr of North Carolina (whose current term lasts until 2022 but who announced that 2016 would be the last time he’d run for elective office), Sen. Mike Enzi of Wyoming, Sen. Johnny Isakson of Georgia, and Sen. Pat Roberts of Kansas.

The second group consists of GOP senators who are facing close reelection races and have to navigate between pleasing President Trump’s reliable base of voters and the moderates and independents they may need to secure their seats.

These include: Sen. Susan Collins of Maine, Sen. John Cornyn of Texas, Senator Ernst of Iowa, Sen. Cory Gardner of Colorado, Sen. Martha McSally of Arizona, and Sen. Thom Tillis of North Carolina.
    Alexander, Burr, Romney, Collins, and Gardner have the biggest voting blocs to consider and can stem the tide one way or the other.

Tillis already took from the Trump coffers, so he's bought off.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Misogyny. Prehistoric biases against women wielding the ultimate power as President of the United States. And yeah, I feel that bible thumpers play a part in reinforcing that prejudice too.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Don Young head-butted a camera to avoid answering a question about Trump

Rarely has Rep. Don Young (R-Alaska) shied away from blunt interactions: He has barreled through hallway interviews, aggressively grabbed the arms of staffers, brandished a walrus penis gavel, referred to Hispanic immigrants as “wetbacks,” held a 10-inch knife to the throat of then-Rep. John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) and refused to tamp down an allegation that he may have killed a man.

On Thursday, Young added another memorable hallway interaction to his repertoire.

Asked repeatedly Thursday by the liberal group MoveOn.org about President Trump’s call for foreign governments to investigate his political rival, the 24-term lawmaker turned to MoveOn’s camera and head-butted it.

“There you go,” Young said, before heading into a nearby elevator. Young’s office did not respond to a request for comment Friday.

I think there are a few factors.

We're looking at the countries with female leaders, when there are plenty that haven't (France, Italy, Mexico.)

The US has changed significantly in terms of women in elected office in very recent years. Anyone born before 1978 has been alive at a time when there were no female Senators. There were less than ten until 2001.

There has been relatively limited turnover of Presidents in recent years, which means fewer chances for anyone new. Since 1993, we've only had four Presidents. There is greater turnover in many other offices.

Even though there has been improvement, the bench of female contenders isn't as strong as the bench of male contenders. With 1 in 4 Senators and under 1 in 5 (9 in 50) Governors being female, assuming every statewide officeholder was equal, you'd expect the odds of a woman winning the White House in a particular election to still be under 1 in 4.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Let's say that Warren wins the Primary, who do you think she should pick as a running mate?

Warren/Bennet
    Warren/Booker
    Warren/Bullock
    Warren/Buttigieg
    Warren/Castro
    Warren/Harris
    Warren/Klobuchar
    Warren/Swalwell
    Warren/Yang

Or someone else? Maybe someone who didn't run for president.
    Purely on paper, I think her best running mate would be a younger guy who isn't white and isn't from the Northeast, but does have a credible resume to be on a presidential ticket.

Julian Castro is pretty much running to be VP. He's been a cabinet member, big city mayor and has the advantage of seeming to be a credible presidential contender by actually running for President.

Congressman Cedric Richmond of Louisiana is 46 years old, part of the House Leadership, and Co-Chair of the Biden campaign.

Congressman Ben Ray Lujan of New Mexico is 47 years old, and slightly higher in the House Leadership.

Former Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx is 48 years old, and served as mayor of Charlotte, so he could help in a major swing state.

Cory Booker is probably the best statewide officeholder for her to select. The main problem is that he's also from the Northeast.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Beastie's Cartoons of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Duckworth, man. Duckworth.
    On the one hand, she would be a great pick.

On the other hand, has she ever said anything that would suggest she is even remotely interested in that spot on the ticket?