Page 575 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 754755255655715725735745755765775785795856256751075 ... LastLast
Results 8,611 to 8,625 of 17573

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post

'Nevertheless, She Persisted'
    She's just awesome! Most of my New York friends will be voting for her. I'll try and guide the undecides to Warren or Mayor Pete (and certainly make sure they don't vote for Corbyn Mark II and his ilk). I love that sound of that phrase "Nevertheless, She Persisted." Was it from any specific reference in literature, or coined specially for that moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Did you learn nothing from Corbyn?
    Sadly not even Corbyn learnt from Corbyn. It's hubris, but all his ravenous supporters STILL think he didn't do badly. One of the worst Labour elections in 100 years, and they still don't think it was that bad. They all learnt nothing. Hate, bile, hate, spew, hate, bile... we didn't win? WHATTTTTT???
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 02-18-2020 at 05:17 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superbat View Post
    Corbyn was unpopular because the media smeared him.

Bernie continues to rise in the polls and is more liked than any of the other candidates. The media smears can't keep him down.
    You're only getting a small slice of why Corbyn failed. Sanders has strengths Corbyn lacked, but they do share similar flaws and Sanders has his own problems which are going to hurt him with moderates in elections. Being arrogant and taking votes for granted is a recipe for failure. Don't take what Corbyn's wing says as gospel, they don't have the humility to admit their own errors.

Extraordinary Member

Did you learn nothing from Corbyn?
    Corbyn lost over Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    My thoughts exactly. No idea what the goal is, other than putting people off Sanders. I know I've already been chatting to my American friends, encouraging them to put their vote elsewhere in the primaries. I'm seeing so many parallels to Corbynism in the UK, and that ended with one of the worst Labour election results in 100 years. People are smart enough to work out that who your ardent supporters are SAYS SOMETHING about you, be it your philosophy, turning a blind eye or... something in you that inspires such hate, not love.
    Just going to point what appears to be a slice of actual reality out...

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/n...igieg-20200203

Bernie Sanders gets big support from Latino caucusgoers in West Liberty
    Sylvia Gutierrez and her boyfriend, Kevin Fernandez, both 22, didn’t caucus four years ago. But this year, Fernandez’s grandmother, who is not a U.S. citizen, gave them a mission: Be her voice and caucus for U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders.

“I’m here because family members wanted a vote that can’t vote,” Gutierrez said. “He (Fernandez) convinced me, and so did his grandparents. His grandmother said to come and vote for her.”
    Gutierrez works at West Liberty Foods, a meat processing plant that is the largest employer in this Muscatine County town of about 3,700 people, just east of Iowa City on Highway 6. Fernandez works on a hog farm. For both of them, immigration was a central issue, but not the only one, that convinced them to support Sanders.

“I like his health care plan and his immigration plan,” Fernandez said of Sanders, mentioning his dismay with how migrant families at the Mexico border have been treated, particularly children. “We’re a big country, we should be able to help people out.”

You're only getting a small slice of why Corbyn failed. Sanders has strengths Corbyn lacked, but they do share similar flaws and Sanders has his own problems which are going to hurt him with moderates in elections. Being arrogant and taking votes for granted is a recipe for failure. Don't take what Corbyn's wing says as gospel, they don't have the humility to admit their own errors.
    Ding ding ding ding. Off putting, isn't it. Obviously they are not identical, but this election is too important to let history repeat itself. Which is what I've been telling my friends in the US. The behaviour of his ardent fans, the type of hateful fan he is attracting (in a number much, much noticeably larger than with other candidates or parties on the left)... with Corbyn it ended up pushing away the moderates, alienated the base and offended the undecides... and with them... goes the election. Now is not the time to make the same mistake.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Illinois politicians from both parties weigh in on President Trump’s commutation of Rod Blagojevich’s prison sentence

Illinois politicians from both parties were quick to criticize President Donald Trump’s commutation of former Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s prison sentence. Here are some reactions to Tuesday’s news:

Gov. J.B. Pritzker: “Illinoisans have endured far too much corruption, and we must send a message to politicians that corrupt practices will no longer be tolerated. President Trump has abused his pardon power in inexplicable ways to reward his friends and condone corruption, and I deeply believe this pardon sends the wrong message at the wrong time.”

Democratic U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin: “Former Governor Blagojevich betrayed the people of Illinois and engaged in a pattern of corrupt behavior for which he was held accountable and which cost him more than seven years of freedom. At a time when corruption by elected officials is still in the headlines, Illinois and Washington should move quickly to establish stricter ethics requirements, including the full detailed disclosure of income, net worth, and income tax returns by all elected officials.”

Mayor Lori Lightfoot: “Well I think commuting the sentence of former Gov. Blagojevich under any circumstances would be controversial, but coming as it does with this president, and particularly in the aftermath of his efforts to really significantly undermine the rule of law and seemingly play favorites for his colleagues who have been convicted of crimes, I think it sends entirely the wrong message," Lightfoot said, speaking to reporters after meeting with legislators in Springfield.
    Illinois’ Republican Reps. Darin LaHood, John Shimkus, Adam Kinzinger, Rodney Davis and Mike Bost: “We are disappointed by the president’s commutation of Rod Blagojevich’s federal sentence. We believe he received an appropriate and fair sentence, which was the low-end of the federal sentencing guidelines for the gravity of his public corruption convictions. Blagojevich is the face of public corruption in Illinois, and not once has he shown any remorse for his clear and documented record of egregious crimes that undermined the trust placed in him by voters. As our state continues to grapple with political corruption, we shouldn’t let those who breached the public trust off the hook. History will not judge Rod Blagojevich well.”
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

The moderates will come around. Only the conservatives won't vote for Bernie.

Every poll showed Corbyn was more unpopular than than Johnson by double digits. Bernie is actually liked.

He's actually the most liked candidate and more people identify with him than any other candidate. If you actually care about him beating Trump, you can stop attacking him and start telling people to get behind him now.
    Bernie2020
    Not Me. Us

Ding ding ding ding. Off putting, isn't it. Obviously they are not identical, but this election is too important to let history repeat itself. Which is what I've been telling my friends in the US. The behaviour of his ardent fans, the type of hateful fan he is attracting (in a number much, much noticeably larger than with other candidates or parties on the left)... with Corbyn it ended up pushing away the moderates, alienated the base and offended the undecides... and with them... goes the election. Now is not the time to make the same mistake.
    The Democrats ran the moderate candidate in 2016.

She lost.
    Bernie2020
    Not Me. Us

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    He sunk millions into keeping the Senate in Republican hands in 2016. Never mind some of the other cash he has thrown at Republicans.

If you look at that and still see "Black"/"White", we'll just have to agree to disagree.
    He was a Republican when he first ran for Mayor. I don't like that he is running as a Dem. But again, he is nothing like Trump. To say so is foolish.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Sanders leads by double digits in latest NBC/WSJ poll as Biden sinks, Bloomberg rises

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/18/nbcw...erg-rises.html

WASHINGTON — Bernie Sanders has opened up a double-digit lead nationally over his closest rivals in the Democratic presidential primary, where Michael Bloomberg’s rise appears to have scrambled the race, according to an NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll released Tuesday.

The Vermont senator has the support of 27% of Democratic primary voters, a figure which is unchanged from January, the survey found. Sanders’ unchanged support comes despite having won a decisive victory in New Hampshire’s first-in-the-nation primary last week, and an apparent win in Iowa’s chaotic caucuses the week before.

Below is a list of the NBC/WSJ results for support among likely Democratic primary voters, followed by the shift in support since the poll was last conducted in January.

Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt.: 27%, unchanged.
    Former Vice President Joe Biden: 15%, down 11 pts
    Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg: 14%, up 5 pts
    Sen Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass.: 14%, down 1 pt
    Former South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg: 13%, up 6 pts
    Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn.: 7%, up 2 pts
    Tom Steyer: 2%, unchanged
    Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, D-Hawaii: 1%, down 1 pt
    Bernie2020
    Not Me. Us

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    He was a Republican when he first ran for Mayor. I don't like that he is running as a Dem. But again, he is nothing like Trump. To say so is foolish.
    Since I'm seeing "I'm Not Letting Them Out Of That NDA..." out of both of them, we'll just have to agree to disagree there.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbat View Post
    The Democrats ran the moderate candidate in 2016.

She lost.
    No, she won in a stolen election.

Trump will lose the popular vote again. The question is does he steal another election?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I love that sound of that phrase "Nevertheless, She Persisted." Was it from any specific reference in literature, or coined specially for that moment?
    There's a whole story there...

https://www.bustle.com/p/the-big-pro...ying-cry-36631

The Big Problem With Using "Nevertheless, She Persisted" As A Feminist Rallying Cry
    Like anyone who frequently chooses Twitter over sleep, I was online last night at the moment Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell admonished Elizabeth Warren on the floor of the Senate, stopping her from reading a letter by Coretta Scott King about attorney general nominee Jeff Sessions — creating an instant feminist rallying cry in the process. McConnell said of Warren, "She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted."

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    No, she won in a stolen election.

Trump will lose the popular vote again. The question is does he steal another election?
    She lost because she couldn't win the electoral college. It was unfair but if you're running to win you have to deal with that.

I say Sanders lost the primary in 2016 for the same reason. You have to have a plan to deal with whatever comes your way.
    Bernie2020
    Not Me. Us

Sanders Leads in California’s Democratic Presidential Primary

https://www.ppic.org/press-release/s...ntial-primary/

SAN FRANCISCO, February 18, 2020—With two weeks until California’s presidential primary, a new PPIC statewide survey shows Bernie Sanders leading all other candidates. Sanders is the choice of 32 percent of Democratic primary likely voters, with 14 percent for Joe Biden, 13 percent for Elizabeth Warren, 12 percent for Michael Bloomberg, and 12 percent for Pete Buttigieg. No other candidate has more than 5 percent support; 8 percent are undecided. In January, California’s primary was a three-way race, with 27 percent supporting Sanders, 24 percent for Biden, and 23 percent for Warren.

Among younger voters (age 18 to 44), Sanders (53%) has far more support than other candidates (13% Buttigieg, 13% Warren, 9% Biden, 8% Bloomberg), while voters age 45 and older are more evenly divided (18% Biden, 18% Sanders, 14% Bloomberg, 14% Warren, 11% Buttigieg). Sanders is the top choice among both men (38%) and women (28%) as well as among Latinos (53%).

Asked which candidate has the best chance of defeating Donald Trump, 34 percent say Sanders, 16 percent say Biden, and another 16 percent say Bloomberg.

“Bernie Sanders leads all candidates in the Democratic presidential primary today, and he is most likely to be named by voters as the candidate who can win against Donald Trump in November,” said Mark Baldassare, PPIC president and CEO. “As the campaign moves to larger and more diverse states, Sanders’ support among Latinos and younger voters is noteworthy.”
    Bernie2020
    Not Me. Us