Page 58 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859606162681081585581058 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rosa Luxemburg View Post
    It also implies that far left speakers get the same kind of attention that right wing ghouls do, when it isn't even close.

And oh yeah, Milo and Ann aren't "provocateurs", they are hateful bigots.
    You are correct here. You'd think if he thought the 'far left' was more dangerous than Trump, he'd want to have them on his show because 'sunlight is the best disinfectant', right?

Sigh. At the end of the day, Bill Maher is a host of a television program on HBO, a premium cable channel. No one has to watch his show if they don't want to. However, I disagree strongly with the notion that my enjoyment of his program, and his humor, makes me a bigot. Furthermore, I have yet to hear from any one person committing a violent act, advocating a violent act, or advocating oppressing certain groups, using as an excuse, "Well, Bill Maher said it was okay." Until that happens, Maher's forum should remain on the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    You are correct here. You'd think if he thought the 'far left' was more dangerous than Trump, he'd want to have them on his show because 'sunlight is the best disinfectant', right?
    He's had Van Jones on his show. Hell, he's had Salman Rushdie, who literally has been marked for death, but yeah Maher's afraid to have certain people on his show. Name one person who is from the "far Left," who hasn't been a guest on Maher's show.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    He's had Van Jones on his show. Hell, he's had Salman Rushdie, who literally has been marked for death, but yeah Maher's afraid to have certain people on his show. Name one person who is from the "far Left," who hasn't been a guest on Maher's show.
    ... you think Van Jones represents the Far Left? Get back to me when he invites someone with the politics of Zoe Samudzi on his show.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 11-02-2019 at 07:16 PM.

BANNED

Sigh. At the end of the day, Bill Maher is a host of a television program on HBO, a premium cable channel. No one has to watch his show if they don't want to. However, I disagree strongly with the notion that my enjoyment of his program, and his humor, makes me a bigot. Furthermore, I have yet to hear from any one person committing a violent act, advocating a violent act, or advocating oppressing certain groups, using as an excuse, "Well, Bill Maher said it was okay." Until that happens, Maher's forum should remain on the air.
    Maher is hardly some radical ideologue, but he is part of a pretty long tradition of comedians whose main schtick is "telling it like it is" about all the things that might annoy the average Joe Sixpack about modern society. Obviously it can be pretty satisfying and entertaining to watch, especially since it tends to validate a lot of beliefs that people have but are afraid to express in public, but it's always important to go back and think about why certain things might be offensive or unacceptable to others, and not just pin it all on political correctness gone mad. Maher is a bit different from the right wing chud-o-sphere in that he doesn't make political correctness a partisan issue, and especially in the age of Trump there is plenty of snowflakery on the right to go after, but fundamentally his act is to take swipes at low hanging fruit rather than actually promoting intelligent discourse.

Completely serious here...

The CTU was just out for eleven days. Do you really think for one second the guy would have had the head of the CTU on the show to discuss exactly why that Union was out on strike?

BANNED

There's no nuance or complexity in inviting a notorious transphobe on your show and not engaging in pushback and agreeing with them on their transphobia.
    Look, I think it's a terribly short-sighted thing to take one instance and make it stand for that person's entirety of contribution or political thought. I didn't like the way he treated Milo and I do think he's too cozy with Coulter......but he's had many other interviews where he does hold people to tough conversations. He's one of the few places you will see some of the worst of the right interact with people on the left. And, often, when he doesn't directly engage with them he does after the fact with his panel.

Why do people on the fringes think that they have to be in lock step with every rando on political views or else they're some kind of pariah to shun? Are the problems with such a mindset not blaringly obvious?

When Obama took on this cultural phenomenon the other day the very people that needed to hear it conveniently ignored it. Nothing good comes from being an obstinate dick to everyone if they don't pass your purity test. In fact, I'd argue it's deeply problematic for everyone.
    Last edited by Theleviathan; 11-02-2019 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Completely serious here...

The CTU was just out for eleven days. Do you really think for one second the guy would have had the head of the CTU on the show to discuss exactly why that Union was out on strike?
    No, because, say it with me, THAT WOULD BE BORING! He's Bill Maher, not NPR!

BANNED

... you think Van Jones represents the Far Left? Get back to me when he invites someone with the politics of Zoe Samudzi on his show.
    He was a pretty vocal backer of Bernie Sanders and had him on his show frequently. His commentary on climate change is absolutely left-wing. Who would you like him to have on so he can pass your test?

Mighty Member

Dude, you don't have anything to prove. The people here have been eating each other and other liberals for as long as I've been coming here. It's gotten to the point where when there is a lot of pages I, correctly, predict it's less about actual discussion and more them telling each other they aren't good enough liberals. This is a great place for news and to be made aware of things going on but I wouldn't feel compelled to defend anyone here. Not a week goes by they aren't accusing each other of not being liberal enough. Bill Maher doesn't have a chance.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    Dude, you don't have anything to prove. The people here have been eating each other and other liberals for as long as I've been coming here. It's gotten to the point where when there is a lot of pages I, correctly, predict it's less about actual discussion and more them telling each other they aren't good enough liberals. This is a great place for news and to be made aware of things going on but I wouldn't feel compelled to defend anyone here. Not a week goes by they aren't accusing each other of not being liberal enough. Bill Maher doesn't have a chance.
    There is much truth in this. And not just here. It's a major reason why Republicans win in so many districts.

The left has never met a willing member of it's voting coalition it couldn't shame into staying home or voting Republican.

No, because, say it with me, THAT WOULD BE BORING! He's Bill Maher, not NPR!
    Then, you don't get to complain when folk point out that you are putting tune up artists on at the cost of actually doing anything that is at a higher level than "Jerry Springer".

I'm just saying that there isn't much of a point in trying to make this turkey out to be something other than what it actually is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    When Obama took on this cultural phenomenon the other day the very people that needed to hear it conveniently ignored it. Nothing good comes from being an obstinate dick to everyone if they don't pass your purity test. In fact, I'd argue it's deeply problematic for everyone.
    The purity test of not accepting someone that is racist, misogynist, transphobic, and Islamophobic.

And in Obama's case, someone that didn't spend eight years blowing people up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    Liberals are never good enough, cause they're liberals.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    There is much truth in this. And not just here. It's a major reason why Republicans win in so many districts.

The left has never met a willing member of it's voting coalition it couldn't shame into staying home or voting Republican.
    Yeah, I've said it here before but the majority of the world is sadly conservative, it's the "old ways" of the human animal. Unfortunately, the modern left seems hell bent on pissing off the few places that aren't into going back to the old ways. I get it, these gross social injustices shouldn't exist in 2019. But the sad truth is they aren't going anywhere. And telling people they aren't fixing the unfixable fast enough isn't going to endear them to their cause.