Page 6 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 234567891016561065061006 ... LastLast

I found this to be fascinating in terms of understanding Trump and what is going on now.

The Demolition of U.S. Diplomacy

Almost 70 years ago, in the early years of the Cold War, Senator Joseph McCarthy conducted a savage campaign against “disloyalty” in the State Department. Partisan investigators, untethered to evidence or ethics, forced out 81 department employees in the first half of the 1950s. Among them was John Paton Davies, Jr., an accomplished China hand. His sin was to foresee the communist victory in the Chinese Civil War. Davies was subjected to nine security and loyalty investigations, none of which substantiated the paranoid accusation that he was a communist sympathizer. Nevertheless, in a moment of profound political cowardice, Secretary of State John Foster Dulles fired him.

Purging Davies and his colleagues was not only wrong but also foolish. The loss of such expertise blinded American diplomacy on China for a generation and had a chilling effect on the department and its morale. One of the United States’ most distinguished diplomats, George Kennan, was also pushed out of the Foreign Service during this era. He tried to defend Davies, who had served with him in Moscow and on the Policy Planning Staff, to little avail. Years later, Kennan wrote in his memoirs that McCarthy’s onslaught and the department’s failure to defend its employees was the most “sobering and disillusioning” episode of his long career.

That Senator McCarthy’s chief counsel, Roy Cohn, was also Donald Trump’s lawyer and mentor is one of history’s sad ironies. Trump’s scorched-earth tactics, casual relationship with truth, and contempt for career public service bear more than a passing resemblance to the playbook that Cohn wrote for McCarthy. And when Trump cried out for a “new Roy Cohn” to replace the late original, it was hardly a surprise that former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani appeared—or that he dove into the muck of the Ukraine scandal and agitated for the removal of a career ambassador whose integrity and expertise proved to be an obstruction.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Bernie Sanders struggles to rebound: Staffing, strategy, health Current and former aides acknowledge Elizabeth Warren has outpaced the Vermont independent.

MANCHESTER, N.H. — Bernie Sanders, just weeks after a heart attack took him off the presidential campaign trail, renewing questions about his age and health, roared back last week with a strong debate performance and the disclosure of a quarterly fundraising haul that vanquished all of his Democratic competitors.

But the 78-year old Vermont senator, whose powerful oratory and progressive message on income inequality lifted him to serious contention in the 2016 Democratic contest against Hillary Clinton, is less formidable this time, with polls in early states and beyond showing his status as a top-tier candidate at risk.

From the challenge posed by fellow progressive Elizabeth Warren to staff clashes and poor strategic communication, Sanders has struggled to compete in a larger field and a new political environment. His health scare added another major challenge.

Syria critic Lindsey Graham reverses stance, says Trump's policy could succeed

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Republican Senator Lindsey Graham, who has been one of the most vocal critics of President Donald Trump’s decision to move U.S. troops out of northeastern Syria, said on Sunday he now believed “historic solutions” were possible.

In an interview with Fox News Channel, Graham said a conversation he had with Trump over the weekend had fueled his optimism that a solution could be reached where the security of Turkey and the Kurds was guaranteed and fighters from Islamic State contained.

“I am increasingly optimistic that we can have some historic solutions in Syria that have eluded us for years if we play our cards right,” Graham said.

What a pathetic excuse for a human being he is.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

This is not just Hillary Clinton finding her sense of humor. This is satire worthy of Jonathan Swift.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Can’t say I’m surprised Grouchy Graham changed his mind and slurped Trump’s bullshit. Pathetic.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Mighty Member

On one hand, getting as broad a base together and convincing the groups used by the Right as rubes that the Left-leaning platforms benefit them is a good move.

OTOH: the concern about throwing the "unpopular" under the bus as appeasement is a real one.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Read the letter to my parents. My dad busted a gut.

Anyone hear about protest in Lebonnon?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Read the letter to my parents. My dad busted a gut.

Anyone hear about protest in Lebonnon?
    Saw some info on Twitter but no details.

Just wanna point out to f folks who are totally sure that this is all a big old smear on Gabbard (again, since every piece of bad news about her is swiftly dismissed as 'irrelevant' or a 'smear'.) that she: praised Putin's bombing in Syria (SO PRO PEACE), you know, which did things like target hospitals -- over American actions, voted against the Magnitsky act in the House, and hired a dude from the Potomac Group as a consultant who, of course, acted as anti-Magnitsky act lobbyist and is definitely not a good guy. The Potomac group, after all, was involved in the Trump Tower 'If it's what you say, I love it' bit.

But, yeah. Gabbard /totally/ is fine and anti-war and totally progressive and not at all being groomed to undermine the Democratic party primary process (hey, who's threatening to boycott debates and cause trouble in the nominating process this year? OH RIGHT ITS TULSI GABBARD) and is being artificially propped up by bots in social media again?

But, sure. Let's talk about how this is /all/ a petty personal grudge by Hillary Clinton, who was completely right about who Donald Trump was last time around, something some people on this board /still/ can't cop to.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 10-20-2019 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Just wanna remind folks who are totally sure that this is all a big old smear on Gabbard (again, since every piece of bad news about her is swiftly dismissed as 'irrelevant' or a 'smear'.) after she praised Putin's bombing in Syria (SO PRO PEACE), you know, which did things like target hospitals -- over American actions, voted against the Magnitsky act in the House, and hired a dude from the Potomac Group as a consultant who, of course, acted as anti-Magnitsky act lobbyist and is definitely not a good guy. The Potomac group, after all, was involved in the Trump Tower 'If it's what you say, I love it' bit.

But, yeah. Gabbard /totally/ is fine and anti-war and totally progressive and not at all being groomed to undermine the Democratic party primary process (hey, who's threatening to boycott debates and cause trouble in the nominating process this year? OH RIGHT ITS TULSI GABBARD) and is being artificially propped up by bots in social media again?

But, sure. Let's talk about how this is /all/ a petty personal grudge by Hillary Clinton, who was completely right about who Donald Trump was last time around, something some people on this board /still/ can't cop to.
    Was watching Cable news and they talked about it, I was puzzled how they framed it. I mean, we talk about it here, but they didn't mention any of this. They framed it as a complete conspiracy theory with no supporting evidence.

I never felt comfortable with her to begin with. I don't feel comfortable with conspiracy theories or going after a Democrat, but with Gabbard she stands out like a sore thumb every time she is on stage at a debate. Like she doesn't belong.
    Last edited by Tami; 10-20-2019 at 08:45 PM.

Doing a quick news search and most of the headlines are on Gabbard's side. From both the right leaning and the left leaning news outlets.

Here is one of the few that question her:

What, Exactly, Is Tulsi Gabbard Up To?

WASHINGTON — Stephen K. Bannon, President Trump’s former chief strategist, is impressed with her political talent. Richard B. Spencer, the white nationalist leader, says he could vote for her. Former Representative Ron Paul praises her “libertarian instincts,” while Franklin Graham, the influential evangelist, finds her “refreshing.”

And far-right conspiracy theorists like Mike Cernovich see a certain MAGA sais quoi.

“She’s got a good energy, a good vibe. You feel like this is just a serious person,” Mr. Cernovich said. “She seems very Trumpian.”

Among her fellow Democrats, Representative Tulsi Gabbard has struggled to make headway as a presidential candidate, barely cracking the 2 percent mark in the polls needed to qualify for Tuesday night’s debate. She is now injecting a bit of chaos into her own party’s primary race, threatening to boycott that debate to protest what she sees as a “rigging” of the 2020 election. That’s left some Democrats wondering what, exactly, she is up to in the race, while others worry about supportive signs from online bot activity and the Russian news media.
    Perhaps strangest of all is the unusual array of Americans who cannot seem to get enough of her.

On podcasts and online videos, in interviews and Twitter feeds, alt-right internet stars, white nationalists, libertarian activists and some of the biggest boosters of Mr. Trump heap praise on Ms. Gabbard. They like the Hawaiian congresswoman’s isolationist foreign policy views. They like her support for drug decriminalization. They like what she sees as censorship by big technology platforms.
    Last edited by Tami; 10-20-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Was watching Cable news and they talked about it, I was puzzled how they framed it. I mean, we talk about it here, but they didn't mention any of this. They framed it as a complete conspiracy theory with no supporting evidence.

I never felt comfortable with her to begin with. I don't feel comfortable with conspiracy theories or going after a Democrat, but with Gabbard she stands out like a sore thumb every time she is on stage at a debate. Like she doesn't belong.
    Don't worry. She can go right back on Tucker Carlson's White Power Hour to talk about how Hillary doesn't control her again... despite all evidence being that Hillary did exactly that just now. The media, of course, will merely prove it has learned nothing since 2016 because /of course it hqasn't/. That's why the press vindicating Hillary of all wrong doing on the emails (yet again) is on page a16 instead of the front page of the Times.

But I forgot: we shouldn't talk about Tulsi because she's 'polling at 1%' when 1% in can be the difference between a second Trump term or not.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 10-20-2019 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Don't worry. She can go right back on Tucker Carlson's White Power Hour to talk about how Hillary doesn't control her again... despite all evidence being that Hillary did exactly that just now. The media, of course, will merely prove it has learned nothing since 2016 because /of course it hqasn't/. That's why the press vindicating Hillary of all wrong doing on the emails (yet again) is on page a16 instead of the front page of the Times.

But I forgot: we shouldn't talk about Tulsi because she's 'polling at 1%' when 1% in can be the difference between a second Trump term or not.
    If I heard this sort of talk about...

- If Latino Americans who could be a little bit better under Trump potentially making up said one percent difference...
    - If folks who supported Democrats in the mid-term could make up that said one percent difference based on "Healthcare" not exactly being the Democratic Party focus...

I could take it a little bit more seriously.

Meanwhile...

We are talking about a distinct "Maybe" making up that potential one percent when said "Maybe" is barely cracking two percent in the primary of one party.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    If I heard this sort of talk about...

- If Latino Americans who could be a little bit better under Trump potentially making up said one percent difference...
    - If folks who supported Democrats in the mid-term could make up that said one percent difference based on "Healthcare" not exactly being the Democratic Party focus...

I could take it a little bit more seriously.

Meanwhile...

We are talking about a distinct "Maybe" making up that potential one percent when said "Maybe" is barely cracking two percent in the primary of one party.
    Speaking of people who still can't cop to being wrong about who Donald Trump was.