Page 60 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364701101605601060 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Meanwhile, Bill Maher still has a TV show despite the so-called 'cancel culture', along with a whole lot of other people who would be 'cancelled' if it actually existed.
    Yes, he has survived. But your comment is telling, if you think the term is that literal you most definitely should rethink things.

I hope you do. Introspection is such a vital part of progress. If we cant hold ourselves and our allies accountable to good ideas...why do we think we can do so to others?

I really wish the left would reconsider the value of this approach. And I wish that because I'd like to see left wing ideas win out and for Republicans to get trounced. I think I share that in common with Maher, if we strongly disagree on many things we do share that hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    And I think you may have ideological reasons to downplay it and would encourage the same.
    Serious question...

If it is being downplayed, could you list some actual examples of this potential issue that you see starting to take place?

Yes, he has survived. But your comment is telling, if you think the term is that literal you most definitely should rethink things.

I hope you do. Introspection is such a vital part of progress. If we cant hold ourselves and our allies accountable to good ideas...why do we think we can do so to others?

I really wish the left would reconsider the value of this approach. And I wish that because I'd like to see left wing ideas win out and for Republicans to get trounced. I think I share that in common with Maher, if we strongly disagree on many things we do share that hope.
    Cancel culture isn't real, friend. It's a moral panic over people over people pointing out that 'our faves are problematic'. People are still listening to David Bowie despite his well known habit of statutory rape, you know? Asking media not to broadcast anti-trans slurs by inviting transphobes who are doing demonstrable harm to individual people, and were known to be doing so at the time, /is not a high bar to cross/, but here you are defending it anyway because you're more scared of the people not wanting to see those ideas platformed than you are of the actual harm that broadcasting the idea that trans women are sexual predators does.

I mean, HP Lovecraft is at an all time high in media exposure and he's /still not cancelled/, despite having been dead for eighty frigging years. It's all noise and a lot of white fragility.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 11-02-2019 at 08:44 PM.

What have you heard this guy say that makes you believe that he wants to see "Left Wing" ideas win out?

Seriously.

What is there past jibber jabber that doesn't actually amount to anything that you are basing that assessment on?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Serious question...

If it is being downplayed, could you list some actual examples of this potential issue that you see starting to take place?
    For starters....abrasive attempts to shut people down isn't going to win supporters or change minds. It will do the opposite.

There are ways to present those ideas or criticisms constructively.

BANNED

Cancel culture isn't real, friend. It's a moral panic over people over people pointing out that 'our faves are problematic'. People are still listening to David Bowie despite his well known habit of statutory rape, you know? Asking media not to broadcast anti-trans slurs by inviting transphobes who are doing demonstrable harm to individual people, and were known to be doing so at the time, /is not a high bar to cross/, but here you are defending it anyway because you're more scared of that than you are of the actual harm that broadcasting the idea that trans women are sexual predators.

I mean, HP Lovecraft is at an all time high in media exposure and he's /still not cancelled/, despite having been dead for eighty frigging years. It's all noise and a lot of white fragility.
    You should reconsider. This is not a myth. Unlocking a way to get the left to present ideas or criticisms without being abrasive is the key to winning more elections.

It can be done.

For starters....abrasive attempts to shut people down isn't going to win supporters or change minds. It will do the opposite.

There are ways to present those ideas or criticisms constructively.
    That has been happening since before King was assassinated.

If people are running short on patience when it comes to that, I can see why.

Ah, the tone police have arrived.

I'm sorry my bar of 'Bill Maher is a prick for agreeing transwomen are sexual predators' is too much for you.

BANNED

What have you heard this guy say that makes you believe that he wants to see "Left Wing" ideas win out?

Seriously.

What is there past jibber jabber that doesn't actually amount to anything that you are basing that assessment on?
    Maher? I mean, he is pretty hard left on climate. Was one of Bernie's top early supporters. Heavily pounding religious infringement. But I hate playing these purity games.

Maher? I mean, he is pretty hard left on climate. Was one of Bernie's top early supporters. Heavily pounding religious infringement. But I hate playing these purity games.
    What is the actual reason you believe any of that to be on the level?

In addition, do you believe the Morton Downey Jr. who hosted the show was the actual "Morton Downey Jr."?

BANNED

Ah, the tone police have arrived.
    You are doing it now. You are facing introspection and turning to be defensive. You be firm and assertive and powerful without being deliberately destructive.

If by 'hard left' you mean 'agrees climate change is a real and urgent threat'...

BANNED

That has been happening since before King was assassinated.

If people are running short on patience when it comes to that, I can see why.
    A lack of patience I understand. But when your approach becomes demonstrably counter productive.....at what point dont you reconsider?

You are doing it now. You are facing introspection and turning to be defensive. You be firm and assertive and powerful without being deliberately destructive.
    Dude, you are literally tone policing and making some fairly large assumptions as well. Seriously, so far, all I've said is 'trans women are women and Bill Maher thinks they're disproportionately sexual predators'. This isn't hard.

BANNED

What is the actual reason you believe any of that to be on the level?

In addition, do you believe the Morton Downey Jr. who hosted the show was the actual "Morton Downey Jr."?
    I'm not psychic?