Page 747 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 247647697737743744745746747748749750751757797847 ... LastLast
Results 11,191 to 11,205 of 17573

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmando7 View Post
    But he won America Samoa!
    Beating out Tulsi Gabbard who is a native of American Samoa.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Well...yeah. They vote in the general election because they're conditioned to believe that's the important one.
    In UK even in the General Election (usually regarded as the most important) a smaller percentage of younger voters vote, compared to older voters.

In some ways...to be honest..I can personally relate to this.

In my younger days, I was in many ways much more interested in politics...took part in a fair few marches and rallies (especially those organised by Committee for Nuclear Disarmament)...but I wouldn’t have been that worried if I missed a vote.

Now..it really bothers me to miss a vote. Can’t really logically explain why...because I am deeply cynical about practically all modern day UK politicians.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 03-04-2020 at 08:53 AM.

Do you guys think Biden picking Bloomberg as his VP would be a bad move? I have a couple of big time Sanders supporters as friends, and the basically said it would put off progressives even more if he went that route. But, his money would really help Bidens campaign, right?
    When I was seventeen,
    I drank some very good beer,
    I drank some very good beer
    I purchased with a fake ID.

My name was Brian McGee,
    I stayed up listenin' to Queen
    When I was seventeen.

BANNED

Do you guys think Biden picking Bloomberg as his VP would be a bad move? I have a couple of big time Sanders supporters as friends, and the basically said it would put off progressives even more if he went that route. But, his money would really help Bidens campaign, right?
    Why do they have to make Bloomberg the VP to get his money? Didn't he promise to use his resources to support whoever the nominee was? Besides, the DNC already knows who they want, it's always been Stacey Abrams, it's just a matter of whether she has enough faith in this campaign to sign on or not.

Invincible Member

It would be a horrible move. It won't just put off progressives, it'll put off a good chunk of minorities, women, and moderates as well.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Have you seen that recent clip of Trump with his black supporters ( Diamond and Silk, Candace Owens, and a few others) where they call him the first black president?
    More proof that The Tokens aren't just a musical act from the 1960's.

Having two old dudes on the ticket would be a hideous idea on steroids. I for one would like to see a woman as VP, say Kamala Harris or Elizabeth Warren. My personal pipe dream would be Michelle Obama, if but for no other reason than that would make the heads of racists, right wingers and Faux News talking heads explode from coast to coast.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Having two old dudes on the ticket would be a hideous idea on steroids. I for one would like to see a woman as VP, say Kamala Harris or Elizabeth Warren. My personal pipe dream would be Michelle Obama, if but for no other reason than that would make the heads of racists, right wingers and Faux News talking heads explode from coast to coast.
    I think it'd be a bad move to pick anyone who was in the primary field, none of the women candidates particularly distinguished themselves and in fact a lot of supposed rising stars in the party tainted themselves by jumping the gun to run this year and came off looking much worse than they did going in. Stacey Abrams is the one prominent young Democratic woman who didn't do that, she's the ideal pick. Only problem is, she's smart enough to see the disaster that Biden is from a mile away and in all likelihood wants nothing to do with it. Now if we were to see a Bernie/Abrams ticket.....

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Agreed. It would be a terrible idea to not make some sort of outreach to the left wing of the party in a unification effort with the VP pick. I still think Hillary should've found someone like Warren to be her VP in 2016 and picking another moderate, left-of-center Democrat like Tim Kaine killed enthusiasm for the ticket on the left. Getting someone who has some progressive credentials like Warren or Harris would be great. I personally am hoping for Harris, who was my top pick for the nomination this year, because I think she also compliments Biden's subdued style and makes up for his, at times, ineffectual communication. Plus, I would love to see Harris go after Pence.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I think it would be a horrible move. Bloomberg is not a Democrat but has little appeal to swing state Republicans. The guy is an out of touch billionaire who can't create a cult following like Trump and wanted to regulate soda cup sizes. Biden has plenty of appeal to the middle himself. He needs either Bernie or Warren as VP to bring together as strong a coalition as possible to bear on the election.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    Agreed. It would be a terrible idea to not make some sort of outreach to the left wing of the party in a unification effort with the VP pick. I still think Hillary should've found someone like Warren to be her VP in 2016 and picking another moderate, left-of-center Democrat like Tim Kaine killed enthusiasm for the ticket on the left. Getting someone who has some progressive credentials like Warren or Harris would be great. I personally am hoping for Harris, who was my top pick for the nomination this year, because I think she also compliments Biden's subdued style and makes up for his, at times, ineffectual communication. Plus, I would love to see Harris go after Pence.
    Harris is a moderate too, but she checks a lot of other boxes and, as you say, communicates well in ways Biden does not. She would also contrast nicely against Pence.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    Harris is a moderate too, but she checks a lot of other boxes and, as you say, communicates well in ways Biden does not. She would also contrast nicely against Pence.
    Her legislative record and platform seem to indicate that she was MUCH further to the left than Biden and roughly on par with Warren. But I don’t know. I might be applying the wrong measurement.

Plus, I really like that she sought to address problems with housing costs relative to what workers make. I mean, raising the minimum wage is a big deal and should be done, but that might also give landlords cause to believe they can raise the cost of living faster too. I liked her policy on that front and would love to have Harris spearhead initiatives like these through the White House.
    Last edited by TheDarman; 03-04-2020 at 09:29 AM.

Biden/Harris
    BB

I have seen elsewhere that either a Biden or Bernie nomination will assure a Trump victory. the truth is nobody knows shit about what will happen.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Biden/Harris
    I still contend Bush won his 2004 election because he could’ve walked on stage, said “I was president during 9/11”, and not done another campaign event and won.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I have seen elsewhere that either a Biden or Bernie nomination will assure a Trump victory. the truth is nobody knows shit about what will happen.
    It's not looking good either way. Biden is just a poor candidate, period. We're not running Generic Dem-Bot 20.20, we still have to put up an actual candidate, and the one that the party has decided on is just awful in every conceivable way. Bernie would probably lose too, because the party would only ever half-heartedly support him if he got the nomination.