Page 808 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 308708758798804805806807808809810811812818858908 ... LastLast
Results 12,106 to 12,120 of 17573

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Trust me, if I thought that the DNC was going to contest the general election with even a fraction of the vigor and dedication that they've shown in trying to destroy Bernie, I'd gladly line up for as many hours as I needed to and vote for whoever they nominate. But we all know that's not going to happen, once the threat of scary commie Bernie has been neutralized, the Democrats are going right back to their spineless waffling ways, going out of their way to appeal to those mythical white working class Midwesterners and shitting all over the dreams of all the people who carried Biden to the nomination.
    Your thoughts are your own, but you should consider the damage you may be doing by insisting on sharing them online. Unless your intent is to spread dissatisfaction and influence people to stay home in November because you want Trump to have another four years so you and your friends can have the satisfaction of a hollow "I told you so."
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

On right wing bot account I have not been able to get twitter to suspend has now switched from 90% racist tweets about Michelle Obama and non-white Democratic lawmakers to 90% "Biden has dementia" memes.

If anyone wants to help report them for spamming or personal harassment:

https://twitter.com/Vesuvius619/with_replies

And if you are a progressive spreading the same "message": Consider your company. Jill Stein, Trump, and that bot account.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    It’s important we recognize this all comes down to votes, not the “progressive” crowd and not the “establishment”. Here is why Sanders will not win the nomination:

And, notice, it has nothing to do with the DNC doing anything. At most, you can argue they saw Sanders’ strength in the caucuses last time and pushed measures to transform caucuses to primaries in individual states. And how awful! They made the overall nomination process more democratic! Ironically, it is the democratization of the process that hurt the candidate whose supporters are saying the process was rigged against him. Indeed, it seems that the nomination process was rigged towards Sanders in 2016 and it is less rigged towards him this time.
    Caucuses are so archaic and not worth the problems we had with them this year.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    So....like Bernie voters then ? Considering atm Biden is outpacing him. Where are the loyal Bernyites ? Where are the votes ?
    And it's been proven by exit polls that the Bernie voters didn't show up. I'm not over the moon about Biden but I will vote for him nevertheless in the Indiana primary and this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Jesse Jackson never got along very well with the Obama administration, unlike Al Sharpton. Biden embracing Obama so hard probably didn't work much magic on Jackson.

This line of attack is getting out of hand. Sanders supporters are going onto Fox News and publicly questioning Biden’s mental state. Breitbart is now picking up on these insults—to boost Trump. Let’s be clear. We’ve known Biden has a stutter and memory problems don’t dementia make. This is absurd and a complete and total fabrication of the record. It is a complete character assassination of a man who has been more upfront about his medical records than either Trump or Sanders. Sanders’ campaign has now added left-wing credibility to an attack that comes pretty naturally from Trump’s playbook. This is awful.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Bernie might be a nice guy. His fans clearly arent.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    I would like someone as VP with Bernie's values who is younger.
    Is there anyone specific in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Interesting take. Wrong, but interesting. Maybe Dems, who obviously did not support his candidacy, want him to help stop the threat of Trump. And realise, since the GOP does anything, legal or not, to win, they must pull out all the stops.

But great man, sure, if that helps stay in your Party.
    To be clear, I don't think it's a good idea to go too far against Bloomberg. I think "Mike Bloomberg is a good man" is a better message than "the world will be better off when the people who respect Mike Bloomberg are dead."

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Hell, Biden's already intimated he would put Obama on the Supreme Court.

Which, after McConnell rewrote Senate rules to make it possible based on a simple majority... is within the realm of possibility.
    I suspect any Democrat would be happy to nominate Obama for the Supreme Court.

It's really more about whether Obama wants it.

The Senate Republicans would probably push back, especially if it were a vote to replace a conservative justice, but it would be a different situation than Garland, as the Democrats would nominate someone with 100% Name ID and fairly high approval ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    That is what I would love to see. Conservative heads exploding because it wouldn’t violate precedent either way—for a president to be placed on the Court or for him to be placed there with a simple majority.
    Given that Republicans got rid of the filibuster for Supreme Court nominees, it wouldn't be seen as unusual for any Democratic nominee to get in with a majority.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    So, to try to discuss something OTHER than the interminable Holy War between the Bernie Faithful and the rest of the unwashed heathen masses...

I work at an elementary school, and currently, the fourth grade classes I work with are studying the Holocaust and the rise of fascism in pre-WW2 Europe, as well as the aftermath of the war. One of the subjects that came up was Operation Paperclip, the organizer effort to smuggle Nazi scientists and thinkers into the US in order to bolster our race to space. One of the kids asked this question and, having recently watched the excellent HUNTERS show, it’s something I’m familiar with, and was wondering what people here might think:

Did Operation Paperclip help the Nazis we rescued from Justice spread their hatred here?

Now, the US was already pretty keen on fascism in the ‘30s. But it seems to me like that fascism that was being flirted with pre-Paperclip became a fully festering cancer in the years since, thanks - possibly - in large part to our ‘clever’ acquisition of - and aid in disappearing into America and abroad - a LOT of the greatest minds the Nazis had. Is it a loony conspiracy theory to note that correlation? Or does it only cross into loonytown if I start getting specific?

“Werner Von Braun secretly formed a cabal of hard right wing zealots and Nazis to take over the moon!” That’s an obvious loonytown conspiracy.
    “Werner Von Braun and the other Nazi scientists brought over by our government, post-WW2, possibly never really renounced their ways and passed their beliefs to their children, grandchildren, and so on, as well as finding and lending support to white nationalist movements here where possible.” This...doesn’t seem far fetched and certainly helps explain a few things.

Is it too easy?

Is there proof to the contrary?
    Interesting theory. It probably overrates the extent to which the scientists were true believers, and ignores the extent to which plenty of Americans held disgusting views.

There was a short film about a 1939 Nazi rally in Madison Square Garden.

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...took-manhattan

In the late 50s, the approval of interracial marriage was at four percent.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/28417/m...marriages.aspx

These people didn't need unrepentant Nazis to sway them to bad ideas.

Snakes aren't sexist.
    "Don't say mean things at me on the internet or I'll vote against fighting against climate change and healthcare" is apparently the take for some.

With the civility arguments, is it really about people lower on the pyramid being rude?

The big recent political change has been the increasing progressiveness of white liberals.

Yawn.
    Most voters are in favor of M4A but they're voting against their interest with Biden.
    It really depends on how M4A is defined. It's a term that's often being vague to include people who support very different things (One person might back a public option, while another might want to abolish all private insurance.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Here is a hypothetical question

If Sanders, Biden, and Bloomberg hadn't entered the race ...

Who would have been the last two standing? [Gabbard is not included since she should have dropped out long time ago].

I'm guessing some combination of Warren, Klobuchar, Buttigieg, and/or someone else.
    Interesting question.

Warren might have been the progressive favorite. On the other hand, she did have significant weaknesses and it is conceivable that Bernie support would have gone to someone else, perhaps to Senators who decided not to run against him (Sherrod Brown, Ron Wyden.)

I'm not sure how the moderate lane would go. Klobuchar ended up with some support and doesn't have Buttigieg's limited resume. However, it could be that without Biden, an African-American candidate would be in the final two. Booker seemed to have greater political skill, but Harris had a greater appeal to feminists and a potentially useful message on crime.

Whatever weaknesses sunk Booker, Harris and Warren might just as well apply in a race without the old white guys.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Agreed on that a particular set of moderates won races.

That said, that sort of thing isn't exactly an equivalent to a national General Election. Is it something that could point to what will happen in a General? Sure.

I just would not assume that the individual elements that created wins in those instances are going to be a reliable indicator of how strong or weak Biden could be walking into a General.

Let's take those moderates who won back in 2018...

- Does Biden have potential weak spots that they did not?
    - If so, did the winners in 2018 win by the kinds of numbers that we can comfortably assume will let Biden sneak by with those weak spots?
    - If so, did the winners in 2018 wind by the kinds of numbers that we can comfortably assume will not present an issue for Biden when we account for what seems to be weak spots in the nomination voting results.

I get that the 2018 results might mean good things for races that will take place on that level this time out. I just don't buy into that they will allow you to be able to safely ignore taking a serious look at the nominee's weaknesses this time out.
    Biden has some unique weak spots, but he also has strengths the statewide officeholders do not. He also has a different opponent than they do. The Republican candidates in Michigan made less gaffes than we can expect from Trump.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi..._drop_out.html

"The establishment put a great deal of pressure on Pete Buttigieg, on Amy Klobuchar, who ran really aggressive campaigns. Well, I know both of them. They work really, really hard. But suddenly, right before Super Tuesday, they announced their withdrawal," Sanders said.
    Shame on Sanders for pushing conspiracy theories.

Astonishing Member

Snakes aren't sexist.
    "Don't say mean things at me on the internet or I'll vote against fighting against climate change and healthcare" is apparently the take for some.

It's easy to come off as being misunderstood when you don't mention the doxxing, death threats or abuse when the left does it. No, they're just mean. You wouldn't be mad about someone being mean on the internet, would you?

People who use snake symbolism for sexist attacks are. Do you honesty believe anyone thinks you haven't heard the story of Adam and Eve before?

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Everything is fine. Everything is normal. (x_x)

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Bernie might be a nice guy. His fans clearly arent.
    I thinks it's important to not judge all Sanders supporters based on the actions of what's likely a small percentage.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi..._drop_out.html

Shame on Sanders for pushing conspiracy theories.
    Yeah. This is getting out of hand. The resentment politics bit would be boring if it weren’t so dangerous and didn’t contribute to this flawed narrative of a nomination getting stolen from him. But, again, he made the same kind of erroneous claims after 2016 that the nomination had been stolen from him.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Everything is fine. Everything is normal. (x_x)

Trump hired his golf course manager to be his social media guy and now as president he just talks about his own employees memes.

What the ****