Page 921 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 4218218719119179189199209219229239249259319711021 ... LastLast
Results 13,801 to 13,815 of 17573
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Trying to apply this context doesn't help your case. At all.
    The context was that I posted about the relatively moderate policies that Bernie was trying to introduce, got called a commie anyway, and figured if that's what I was going to be labeled regardless, that I might as well just own it.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    The context was that I posted about the relatively moderate policies that Bernie was trying to introduce, got called a commie anyway, and figured if that's what I was going to be labeled regardless, that I might as well just own it.
    Save it. This isn't your first round of apologism.

Save it. This isn't your first round of apologism.
    Plus, saying Bernie is relatively moderate in other countries means very little when discussing the internal politics of this one.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Plus, saying Bernie is relatively moderate in other countries means very little when discussing the internal politics of this one.
    It also ignores the areas where the Democrats are well to the left of many other social-democratic parties, specifically on gay and trans issues, abortion rights, and others.

BANNED

It also ignores the areas where the Democrats are well to the left of many other social-democratic parties, specifically on gay and trans issues, abortion rights, and others.
    So, how about we keep all of that, and also adopt the economic policies that those parties have? Is universal health care somehow a homophobic policy?

So, how about we keep all of that, and also adopt the economic policies that those parties have? Is universal health care somehow a homophobic policy?
    What do you think I've been voting towards?

What do you think I've been voting towards?
    Plus the party as a whole is moving closer to that - if the Democrats can manage to take the white house and the senate, the public option will likely become law. While not true M4A, it will be a critical step forward.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Plus the party as a whole is moving closer to that - if the Democrats can manage to take the white house and the senate, the public option will likely become law. While not true M4A, it will be a critical step forward.
    Even getting a public option would require either a 60 vote supermajority, which is exceedingly unlikely, or a leader willing to invoke the nuclear option on ALL bills which could set a disastrous precedent, not to mention all the wrangling and favor trading that it would take to get all those conservative Democrats on board, and endless debates all over the news and social media. And if we are going to have to do all that work anyway, why settle for a half measure, why not just go for the whole nine yards? And it's highly probable that a public option wouldn't even work since only people who couldn't get private insurance would choose it, meaning they'd likely represent the most risky patients, and trying to find a way to subsidize those skyrocketing premiums would be a whole another battle.

I am of the opinion that there is no amount of tweaking of the current health system can save it. The drug companies are already stuck having to negotiate with national health systems in nearly every other country, and it is only here that they can charge whatever exorbitant prices they wish, which means that we are effectively subsidizing the drug costs for everyone else, and the companies simply cannot afford to lose this market too because that would mean the end of their profitability entirely. On top of that, we have all of these doctors who took out massive loans to take years of schooling in the hope of becoming well-paid, high status professionals, not overworked public servants little better than teachers or firefighters. Then on top of that you have the insurance companies, hospitals, equipment manufacturers, all these people whose entire livelihoods depend on health care remaining an expensive luxury that people are willing to shell out their bottom dollar for, and there is simply no way to make sure that all of their concerns are addressed while simultaneously providing sufficient care for everyone regardless of their ability to pay for it. Other countries managed because the health care industry knew that, at the very least, there was still plenty of money to be made in the United States that would offset their losses elsewhere, so they will fight tooth and nail to retain this last profitable market.
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 03-18-2020 at 11:03 PM.

Even getting a public option would require either a 60 vote supermajority, which is exceedingly unlikely, or a leader willing to invoke the nuclear option on ALL bills which could set a disastrous precedent, not to mention all the wrangling and favor trading that it would take to get all those conservative Democrats on board, and endless debates all over the news and social media. And if we are going to have to do all that work anyway, why settle for a half measure, why not just go for the whole nine yards?
    We should absolutely engage in filibuster reform and voting reform rather than allow Republican Senators to have a stranglehold in perpetuity on the ability to effect governance. I don't have an idea of what could replace the filibuster that is actively fair to protect the minority or prevent future abuse by the majority, but the current senatorial status quo is unsustainable. Mitch McConnel has proven that.

I'm also for repealing the permanent apportionment act of 1929 in the House. Freezing the number of Reps at 435 has had a deleterious effect on the House. While it can't be 20k:1 rep, we can sure increase the number of representatives to create better representation, broader expertise, more diverse voices, and a House more closely aligned with the demographic reality.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 03-18-2020 at 10:56 PM.

We should absolutely engage in filibuster reform and voting reform rather than allow Republican Senators to have a stranglehold in perpetuity on the ability to effect governance. I don't have an idea of what could replace the filibuster that is actively fair to protect the minority or prevent future abuse by the majority, but the current senatorial status quo is unsustainable. Mitch McConnel has proven that.

I'm also for repealing the permanent apportionment act of 1929 in the House. Freezing the number of Reps at 435 has had a deleterious effect on the House. While it can't be 20k:1 rep, we can sure increase the number of representatives to create better representation, broader expertise, more diverse voices, and a House more closely aligned with the demographic reality.
    Even something like a 50% increase in the number of reps would shift some more power back to population centers while making it more difficult to gerrymander the way to victory on a national level. I hadn't even considered that old law.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Even something like a 50% increase in the number of reps would shift some more power back to population centers while making it more difficult to gerrymander the way to victory on a national level. I hadn't even considered that old law.
    Exactly. Ending gerrymandering is sexier, but the root of many problems in the House can be laid at the feet of a century old law.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 03-18-2020 at 11:57 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Trump Signs Coronavirus Aid Bill

The legislation, which House Democrats authored last week, modestly expands sick leave and makes testing for the coronavirus more widely available.

Coronavirus Bailouts Shouldn’t Reward Investors And CEOs, Democrats Say

They want strings attached to any taxpayer dollars given to major industries suffering from the coronavirus-fueled economic crisis.

How South Korea Succeeded Where The U.S. Has Failed On Coronavirus Testing

The difference in the development of COVID-19 tests is a tale of many contrasts in the two nations’ public health systems.

Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart Is First Member Of Congress To Test Positive For Coronavirus

The Florida Republican was voting on the House floor but is now self-quarantined. Rep. Ben McAdams, a Utah Democrat, also tested positive for COVID-19.

Maryland GOP Governor: ‘No Question’ Donald Trump Made A Mistake With Coronavirus Response

Larry Hogan criticized the president’s initial downplaying of the threat.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Dude, YOU attacked me. I said nothing to you. So who is acting like a child?
    If you can leave out childish personal attacks then we can dialogue, if not, nice knowing you.

You never even replied about the intent of the post I made. You did a one line silly ass attack.
    The post was about Dana Bash, and how Centrism is killing the country because of Tone.

YOU saw SANDERS and immediately got triggered. You called it Bile, without going on the substance.
    So calling yourself an adult is kinda silly. Whether you're a leftist or not, makes no difference to me.

If ANYTHING You saw how the media lied about and shamed Corbyn supporters, and you dare attack me? Lol.
    Because all you've done is spread bile and **** on people when its readily apparent that Bernies gone. When Warren was out did I sut here and **** on everyone else ? No.

As for Corbyn, yeah the media was an issue. Unlike you though I don't start spitting conspiracy theories and lashing out at people. I actually think about things and have accepted thar Corbyn fucked up. Instead of being agressive about the anti-semetism claims he again and again let the right make the narrative, then he sat on the fence with Brexit which (like it or not) wasnt going to sell even if his "Redo the vote, make it less corrupt" angle made sense too many saw it as a "We didnt get our way" idea. So my guy fucked up. On his own.

Now if the Corbyn element wins the next leadership election, nice. Hopefully they can be agressive and focused. If Starmer wins and we get Neo-Blair, well his stats are still ok (Iraq War aside) and it'll be a damn sight better then Boris and Co.

But if I was like you I'd hope that Starmer utterly failed my girl wins and if that fails utterly abandon them and casually allow the right to continue ruining everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Trump didn't serve in Nam. My point was that Biden served under a president that was popular. So he's reaping the benefits of that. Robin was Batman's sidekick, that's why he's popular.
    His "personal vietnam" was a phrase he used for fucking wimen potentially with AIDS. That was the point. And again, your missing mine. You can say "If if if" as much as you want but its meaningless

Quote Originally Posted by trooper_thorn View Post
    Bill Clinton was around 66%. How'd that work out for Al Gore? Or Hillary for that matter?
    Gore made the questionable decision to not have the Clintons campaign for him.