Page 947 of 1172 FirstFirst ... 4478478979379439449459469479489499509519579971047 ... LastLast
Results 14,191 to 14,205 of 17573
    Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    I went to HIgh School under Reagan and Bush and graduated under Clinton. The thing I can say is that there may have been cuts I was unaware of back then, but they just didn't seem to effect much. I mean even then My first job in High School was a nursing home making 7 bucks an hour and that was a lot of money. My mom with a Degree was making 12, and we lived great. The economy was doing great, prices were low, and inflation kept the middle class in the middle. Schools in Philly were funded, I mean a trip to France for a High School class ain't cheap. But they did it, and between that and growing up military, I saw the world through new eyes, and most of the High School friends I keep in touch with, still take their kids to new places and experiences.

Why do these people think cutting our kids future is a good thing?
    Clinton was my high school years Graduated under Bush, my sister was under Bush for high school and graduated under Obama. I think during the Bush years was when they significantly started to cut because of what I heard from some of my sisters friends who were in Band and had to raise most of the funds to go to the State Capitol for a competition on their own.

Two guesses: one is that they are hoping it will steer them into a tech field where they will make money for a larger corporate office.

Two is that they figure that with the net kids can teach themselves, or outsource to groups that you have to pay for to cover that. Think 4H but being paid for your kid to go to a art museum.

What doesn't help is that parents dont think about taking kids to culture places. I don't mean the ones that can't due to work, I mean the ones that have the money but won't.

Example: my sister in middle school had me chaperon her class to the art institute of Chicago. Her science teacher's mom was another. The mom came over to me and asked me how I, who was just a freshman in college, knew how to get around the Art institute without a map. I told her it was because my parents had been taking me there since I was 4. I asked her if she ever took her daughter, she responded, no, that she didnt think a girl of 4 would apparently get art and her daughter first went there on a field trip when she was in middle school so 12 or 13. It just blew my damn mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    How the damn hell is he this stupid and in congress?! They need to quarantine the f***** right now if he won't do it himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Mitt Romney just quarantined himself also, since he and Rand had lunch on Friday.
    For all my political issues with Romney, I'll at least give him that he does care about the health of people around him and previously in his states, for the most part.

He's at least being smart about this.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Sounds like the GOP just want to screw the average Joe while the dems want to help him.
    Here’s hoping that Democrats draft a bill quickly that can pass the House with these provisions and force Republicans to react to the bill with fewer protections for corporations and more protections for working folk.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    Here’s hoping that Democrats draft a bill quickly that can pass the House with these provisions and force Republicans to react to the bill with fewer protections for corporations and more protections for working folk.
    Agreed. Hard to believe they are acting like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Agreed. Hard to believe they are acting like this.
    I wish it was hard for me to believe, but this is what they do. Republicans have been shoving half-measures and terrible resolutions in emergency bills for a long time. It took a lot of wind out of the initial sails of the stimulus package Obama wanted during the Great Recession and it will be the same here. Thankfully Democrats are flexing their muscle and they will hopefully be able to ultimately win on messaging. They do need to act quick though—a failure to do so will make them look like they are stalling, just like Republicans did last week with the first COVID package.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Clinton was my high school years Graduated under Bush, my sister was under Bush for high school and graduated under Obama. I think during the Bush years was when they significantly started to cut because of what I heard from some of my sisters friends who were in Band and had to raise most of the funds to go to the State Capitol for a competition on their own.

Two guesses: one is that they are hoping it will steer them into a tech field where they will make money for a larger corporate office.

Two is that they figure that with the net kids can teach themselves, or outsource to groups that you have to pay for to cover that. Think 4H but being paid for your kid to go to a art museum.

What doesn't help is that parents dont think about taking kids to culture places. I don't mean the ones that can't due to work, I mean the ones that have the money but won't.

Example: my sister in middle school had me chaperon her class to the art institute of Chicago. Her science teacher's mom was another. The mom came over to me and asked me how I, who was just a freshman in college, knew how to get around the Art institute without a map. I told her it was because my parents had been taking me there since I was 4. I asked her if she ever took her daughter, she responded, no, that she didnt think a girl of 4 would apparently get art and her daughter first went there on a field trip when she was in middle school so 12 or 13. It just blew my damn mind.
    I remember final year of High School it was all about eh Computer field being the future. Which in a way it was, is, and wasn't. I did all the right things, and still hated working with Computers as a job, it became a chore and we kept programming ourselves out of new projects. Since at IBM, if became about the hardware and VERY slow software updates. I mean I graduated my hird degree in Architectural engineering in 1999, and the Company I went to work for were still using Autocad 12.

We kinda got the short end of the stick. High School movies and such made it seem like being a Programmer was going to be this exciting thing. So a lot of focus was placed on the tech field. But mainly on home goods based Electronics. Only a rare few saw the coming of the mobile age. So many programmers literally programmed themselves and their jobs into extinction.

Hell to this day I still have issues moving to a Laptop, over a desktop. So now the kids are being taught to be "future proofed" much to the chagrin of their parents, who still follow the 80's/90's educational structure.
    Kids now are much more focused on STEM, but at the expense of a lot of the cultural aspects.

Politicians and state governments still need to figure out a good financial and cultural balance.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Democrats Block Senate Coronavirus Bill, Calling It A ‘Corporate Bailout’

They’re calling for more funding to hospitals and health care workers. Meanwhile....

Trump Declines To Promise That His Own Company Won’t Get Coronavirus Bailout Money

“I’ve learned, let’s just see what happens,” the president said during a press briefing about the ongoing pandemic. I'm guessing he'll find a way to get his (un)fair share.

American Expert Axed From CDC Post In China Months Before Coronavirus Outbreak

The disease expert, embedded in China’s disease control agency, could have been able to get word of the outbreak out early.

Anthony Fauci Unpacks How He Schools Trump On His Coronavirus Fibs

The top disease expert said he can’t “jump in front of the microphone” when Trump speaks so he adopts other measures.

‘Heartless’ Trump Slammed For Apparent Dig At Mitt Romney’s Coronavirus Quarantine

Twitter users call out the president over comments he made after learning the Utah senator was exposed to the virus. Trump never lets decency get in the way of nursing a grudge.

Neil Diamond Gives ‘Sweet Caroline’ A Less-Touchy Makeover For Coronavirus

The Rock & Roll Hall of Famer updates his most famous song for the age of COVID-19. I have to admit I got a chuckle out of this.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Trump is ‘furious’ with New York Gov. Cuomo because his pandemic press conferences are overshadowing him

When others talk during the WH press conferences on the pandemic, ever notice that Trump refuses to stand back? That he has to be standing right next to the microphone as if it belongs to him and he's only lending it to others? He tries to over shadow the experts physically, but instead he looks like a child, impatient for his turn again.

Appearing on MSNBC’s “Am Joy” on Sunday morning, Vanity Fair reporter Gabriel Sherman told host Joy Reid that Donald Trump is “furious” with Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D-NY) because his daily press conferences on the coronavirus pandemic are getting rave reviews — while his own are being panned.

Speaking with the host, Sherman explained, “My sources who are in touch with the White House, several people told me that one of the things driving [Trump’s task force press conference apperances] this is that the president has been furious and frustrated at New York Governor Andrew Cuomo who has been holding these very widely well-received early morning press conferences and, in the president’s view, has sort of hijacked the news cycle.”
    “So now you see Trump, you know, taking the stage after Cuomo trying to take back the mantle and unfortunately he’s doing that with misinformation,” he continued. “So we’re in a situation where the president’s narcissism and his need to be at the center of every story, even though the story is not about Donald Trump, this story is about a global pandemic, is what is driving the White House’s communication strategy.”
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Trump is ‘furious’ with New York Gov. Cuomo because his pandemic press conferences are overshadowing him

When others talk during the WH press conferences on the pandemic, ever notice that Trump refuses to stand back? That he has to be standing right next to the microphone as if it belongs to him and he's only lending it to others? He tries to over shadow the experts physically, but instead he looks like a child, impatient for his turn again.
    Well, maybe if Trump acted like a responsible adult and came to the realization that it's NOT about him, he wouldn't have his panties in a bunch of Cuomo's pressers. But then, Trump ISN'T an adult, so knowing when to step back and cede the floor to more worthy people, or people who just didn't lie out their ass every chance they got, simply isn't in his DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Well, maybe if Trump acted like a responsible adult and came to the realization that it's NOT about him, he wouldn't have his panties in a bunch of Cuomo's pressers. But then, Trump ISN'T an adult, so knowing when to step back and cede the floor to more worthy people, or people who just didn't lie out their ass every chance they got, simply isn't in his DNA.
    Many Governors are holding Press Conferences on this. Trump can't get angry at all of them (desn't have the mental capacity to do so), so he singles out one.

Rep. Ben McAdams hospitalized after coronavirus positive test

WASHINGTON — Rep. Ben McAdams, D-Utah, who tested positive last week for the disease caused by the coronavirus, said Sunday night that he has been hospitalized since Friday because of “severe shortness of breath.”

McAdams said in a statement that he experienced worsening symptoms Friday evening and he called the hotline for COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus. He said he was told to go to the hospital.

Many Governors are holding Press Conferences on this. Trump can't get angry at all of them (desn't have the mental capacity to do so), so he singles out one.
    And, in my opinion, it's no coincidence whatsoever that Trump singled out Cuomo who's the governor of New York, the state that's itching to get him into court to answer for his criminal misdeeds after he leaves office.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    And, in my opinion, it's no coincidence whatsoever that Trump singled out Cuomo who's the governor of New York, the state that's itching to get him into court to answer for his criminal misdeeds after he leaves office.
    The cynic in me thinks it’s probably because Cuomo got positive publicity with people on twitter saying they wish he was President. Now the world’s most insecure man needs to yell louder to compensate

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    The cynic in me thinks it’s probably because Cuomo got positive publicity with people on twitter saying they wish he was President. Now the world’s most insecure man needs to yell louder to compensate
    Cuomo wins praise for 'wisdom' amid coronavirus crisis as Trump blusters

In the words of John C Maxwell, the distinguished bestselling author of inspirational books, a true leader “is one who knows the way, shows the way and goes the way.” As Donald Trump continues to bluster his way through daily Coronavirus briefings by picking fights with journalists and contradicting the advice of medical experts, the New York governor Andrew Cuomo is rising as an alternative guiding force for a nation in crisis – and the president’s staff are beginning to take notice.

Ostensibly, Cuomo’s nationally televised addresses are aimed at the almost 20 million residents of a state affected more than any other by the virus. But his “wisdom and competence”, according to former White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci, is resonating in every corner of the United States, as well as providing leadership cues to Trump’s advisers.

Brian Stelter, CNN’s chief media correspondent, reported on Sunday that senior administration sources told him that the president’s team was keeping a close eye on Cuomo’s daily briefings. Meanwhile, other respected commentators are noting the contrast between Trump’s lengthy and often rambling appearances at the podium and Cuomo’s straight-talking approach, from which they say the president could take some pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    You may be right. I'm guessing Trump has been surly for quite awhile now, he can't hold any rallies to get his ego stroked, and he can't escape to the golf course, now he's got Cuomo upstaging him at every turn, just by sounding like the sort of leader Trump isn't, and likely will never become.