Incredible Member

Default Alfred’s supposed death

So Alfred is dead. But is he?
    He died before but came back later as the Outsider.

The Other in the current Teen Titans series is supposed to be close to Damien. Could Alfred now be The Other? Maybe? Possibly?

Incredible Member

LONG TERM: He won't be dead forever. This is comics.

Alfred Pennyworth is among the top 5 most important characters of Batman, All-Time.

How long it could take before his return? Could take a year. Could take two years. I'd say two years, tops, as Batman's never been dead that long, neither has Superman. Why should Alfred?

SHORT TERM AKA FOR THE TIME BEING: The solicits of January of next year is out now. According to the moving cover of next year's Batman Annual, yes, he is dead, and still will be, aaccording to early next year, but for now, it's just been a few months, and a few months more.

Eventually it will be revealed this is his long lost twin brother Albert Pennyworth who was filling in for Alfred. Or a doppelganger. A shapeshifter impersonating Alfred. An android. Someone or something not the real Alfred.
    Sort of like how a few years back Catwoman was murdered but it turned out to be Martian Manhunter impersonating Catwoman and the death was faked.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

This is possibly the dumbest development I've heard about in a long time.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

He does have a brother, but I don't know if he's a twin or not. No matter, there's the traditional mask and the EMP mask.

I want him to stay dead for a year. That's the standard, it's long enough for them to mine sad Bruce and his life without Alfred's help before it gets boring, and it'll be undone by the time we hit DC's New Super Amazing Ultimate Mega Awesome Surely We Won't Screw This Up Timeline.

Although we did just go through sad Bruce for a year after the cancelled wedding... hm... now I'm having second thoughts...

Ah well. At least this time it's not by false marketing.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    He does have a brother, but I don't know if he's a twin or not. No matter, there's the traditional mask and the EMP mask.

I want him to stay dead for a year. That's the standard, it's long enough for them to mine sad Bruce and his life without Alfred's help before it gets boring, and it'll be undone by the time we hit DC's New Super Amazing Ultimate Mega Awesome Surely We Won't Screw This Up Timeline.

Although we did just go through sad Bruce for a year after the cancelled wedding... hm... now I'm having second thoughts...

Ah well. At least this time it's not by false marketing.
    Good god, haven’t we had enough of sad Bruce at this point?

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Eventually it will be revealed this is his long lost twin brother Albert Pennyworth who was filling in for Alfred. Or a doppelganger. A shapeshifter impersonating Alfred. An android. Someone or something not the real Alfred.
    Sort of like how a few years back Catwoman was murdered but it turned out to be Martian Manhunter impersonating Catwoman and the death was faked.
    Nah, Alfred’s dead dead. Bruce will brood for awhile until he strolls downstairs, turns on his magic cloning machine and pumps out a brand new Pennyworth 3000 model to replace his old broken one.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Nah, Alfred’s dead dead. Bruce will brood for awhile until he strolls downstairs, turns on his magic cloning machine and pumps out a brand new Pennyworth 3000 model to replace his old broken one.
    The dead one was the clone - he just thought that hand got reattached.

They'll probably retcon it out by the time we get to the new 5G timeline.

Fantastic Member

With the return of Clayface to the Batman Family, I've seen a theory or two that he was impersonating Alfred. Which I could live with as the potential for that has been part of the scenario since he joined the Bats three years ago, and impersonation was always part of Matt Hagen's skillset if not Basil's.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10...mics-dead-man/

The rumor is that Alfred's death was supposed to be fake or undone, but for some reason, the powers that be changed their mind and made it real. Of course, this being comics, we all know he'll eventually come back.

We'll find ot what actually happenned sooner or later, but this is way too big of a developement to be something they decided on just after Batman 77 came out.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10...mics-dead-man/

The rumor is that Alfred's death was supposed to be fake or undone, but for some reason, the powers that be changed their mind and made it real. Of course, this being comics, we all know he'll eventually come back.
    Maybe they did it because 5G means Bruce's time as Batman is coming to an end, so there's less of a need for Alfred.