Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Captain Marvel

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Both female and male characters used to be and ought to still look like idealized forms of people.
    Is 3 toes, 3 fingers, blue skin, and a tail an idealized form of a person?
    Baby Thanos

Do not pretend you don’t know what I mean. He still looks idealized and cool.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

BANNED

Carol does have a tendency to fly off the handle most of the times even pre civil war II.
    20191021130644.jpg

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Do not pretend you don’t know what I mean. He still looks idealized and cool.
    I am being one hundred percent honest when I say that the fingers and toes grosses me out, but I would not petition to have it changed because obviously there are people who do like it.

Just like there are people like me who would like normal looking women who aren't supermodels.
    Baby Thanos

Quote Originally Posted by catbellysqueezer View Post
    I am being one hundred percent honest when I say that the fingers and toes grosses me out, but I would not petition to have it changed because obviously there are people who do like it.

Just like there are people like me who would like normal looking women who aren't supermodels.
    Except they didn’t make Carol Danvers look like a normal looking woman though. They made her look like a weak man rather.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Why does Carol's attractiveness have to be involved? It's almost never brought up if its a male superhero.
    Perhaps that's in part due to the fact that a vast majority of comic fans are heterosexual men. Not a great deal of time will be wasted on that demographic speaking on male superhero attractiveness quotient. But perhaps we do register that concern, albeit in another form? For example, I think Liefeld draws a crappy Captain America. By the same token, I'm also saying that his rendering of Steve is butt-ass-ugly by every definition of the term. Interpret that as me saying, "I would much prefer a more attractive Steve." You just have to read between the lines a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Why do you think I ignored those points? I ignored point 4 because it's simply before my time, and 2 and 3 because yeah, it's not really relevant. I prefer the long hair, but how she looks won't effect whether I read her books.
    . With point 4, you do know you can go back and read the issue, right? Just because it's before your time doesn't mean that you can't read it. It's available for public consumption.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Her black costume was awful and made her look like a joke character. Now I don't like how Carol has been shoveled down the throats of Marvel readers as 'Earth's mightiest hero' and been spammed out over the last couple of years, but the modern costume is a major improvement for her look.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

While I don't believe Carol Danvers needs to look like this , I believe her black costume was just more visually interesting. Black suit, gloves and boots, with a bright yellow bolt across the body and a bold red sash around the waist. Looking at the suit, you can't deny those little splashes of colour stand out in big way that makes the overall look work in making her stand out.

I definitely think the way Carol is drawn now is a lot less sexualising and allows you take her seriously, her new costume to me is a bit boring and safe. Blue, red and yellow is such a generic colour combination when it comes to superheroes. Several of them have this colour scheme (or a variant) incorporated into their costumes, from Superman, Wonder Woman, Thor, Captain America, Spider-Man, Iron Man and the Flash. The colour scheme does sell her as an important character (anyone who understands colour theory in relation to superheroes will understand what I mean),but makes her look generic.

I wish some kind of happy medium was found between the two designs to make you take her seriously but stay visually striking. I would have kept it as a full body black suit like her old one but covering her legs completely this time (although I wouldn't be opposed to her bare arms showing so she can flex those guns once in a while). Keeping the yellow bolt at the front but make it glow this time like it does in the 'SHAZAM!' film, or switch it out with her current star symbol (but make it bigger and longer). Keep the red sash and make it larger so it feels like her cape and we're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I initially wrote her off for some reason, can't remember why, maybe it was the way she was drawn around the time of Civil War II with that short haircut, but I watched a youtube video on her and wow, she really seems like a cool and interesting character. A couple of observations/questions I had:

1. Is she an alcoholic like Tony?

2. Call me shallow, but I liked that Black costume with the stash. She was hot.

3. The look that she has now with her long hair returned, is a good look.

4. For other CM fans, did the infamous Avengers 200 issue ruin the character for you?

5. Prior to CW II, was she really just floating around the MU with no real direction as a character for her story or was there some good stuff to mine with her Binary/Ms. Marvel years?
    1) Yeah, there are some nice interactions with Tony over that.

2) I like the black costume overall but I definetely think her current one is better...

3) I like how she's being drawn now, but I thought there were artists that had her lookin great with the short hair too. Like David Marquez(the one from CW II that you mentioned... Come on, that gorgeous Carol made you look away???), Kenneth Rocafort, Elizabeth Torque, etc.

4) I think most people here started reading comics/Carol long after that issue happened... And either way, while the story is horrible, the rest of the Avengers are the ones portrayed in a bad light, not Carol. And the Avengers Annual #10 addresses that in a pretty good way.

5) She was already Captain Marvel before CW II... The run by KSD, the first one with her as Captain Marvel, was pretty good. And ever since HOM, her direction was kind of... Trying to become a more high-profile hero in the Marvel Universe? And after KSD but before CW II, she had the whole Alpha Flight Space Station thing going on.

Yeah, Carol had a marketing problem. She remembered herself in the House of M universe, as Captain Marvel, the most popular non-mutant hero of that world. She wanted to achieve that for real, which she eventually did, but not in that run.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman