Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Captain Marvel

Mighty Member

Default Captain Marvel

I initially wrote her off for some reason, can't remember why, maybe it was the way she was drawn around the time of Civil War II with that short haircut, but I watched a youtube video on her and wow, she really seems like a cool and interesting character. A couple of observations/questions I had:

1. Is she an alcoholic like Tony?

2. Call me shallow, but I liked that Black costume with the stash. She was hot.

3. The look that she has now with her long hair returned, is a good look.

4. For other CM fans, did the infamous Avengers 200 issue ruin the character for you?

5. Prior to CW II, was she really just floating around the MU with no real direction as a character for her story or was there some good stuff to mine with her Binary/Ms. Marvel years?
    Last edited by CTTT; 10-19-2019 at 07:54 PM.

1. Yes, she is. That dates back to Busiek's late 90s Avengers run. Carol and Tony have both been to Alcoholics Anonymous.

5. The 2006 Ms. Marvel series and 2012 Captain Marvel series are both decent.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Not trying to sound rude but two of your points are about her physical attractiveness, is that really important to the quality of a book?

I've never read a comic and thought "this would have been better if the character was hot"
    Baby Thanos

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by catbellysqueezer View Post
    Not trying to sound rude but two of your points are about her physical attractiveness, is that really important to the quality of a book?

I've never read a comic and thought "this would have been better if the character was hot"
    Wow, let's be nice and play fair. In a visual medium you can't expect people not to be drawn to characters because of their appearance. Forgive the pun. I mean it's not a coincidence that most comic book characters are presented in an as aesthetically appealing package as possible, especially the women. Hell, there have been scientific studies proving that even infants, who we'd like to think have not been biased by societal beauty standards at all, are nevertheless drawn to attractive people. Let's not beat up the OP about it.

Like yourself, I've never read a comic and thought, "This would have been better if the character was hot." But I have read stories where I thought my appreciation would have increased had the artist knew how to draw Carol Danvers like the attractive woman that she is. Case in point... I mean, seriously, wth??! I don't care what the caption says, that's not how any Carol that I've ever read looks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 10-21-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Astonishing Member

I have always felt the yellow bolt design was much better, a very striking visual, I could easily see it adapted with just a full body colour of black (or blue)

The longer hair imo is a much better look especially since she flies as it allows for a greater range of visuals and dynamic movement to be implied

As for personality nowadays I find her very stoic and bland, especially since cw2, which was a horrible story for her

For all her in character faults her warbird period (terrible name) and the 'best hero you can be' run were infinitely more interesting for me

Now, I just skip her bits in a story, but she's not alone in that, I do the same with Spiderman too

Quote Originally Posted by catbellysqueezer View Post

Why do you think I ignored those points? I ignored point 4 because it's simply before my time, and 2 and 3 because yeah, it's not really relevant. I prefer the long hair, but how she looks won't effect whether I read her books.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Why does Carol's attractiveness have to be involved? It's almost never brought up if its a male superhero.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Why does Carol's attractiveness have to be involved? It's almost never brought up if its a male superhero.
    It isn't. But we don't get to decide what factors someone else should use to judge a comic book. I like Carol with short hair. I see her as being more concerned with function over look and short hair being easier to deal with. But those are my criteria.

As to looks, female characters get judged MUCH more than males. Probably due to the majority of readers being hetero males. I try to be fair and open-minded, but there are still female characters I find hot. Personally, comics are far too expensive to have character looks be criteria for buying for me anyway. I do have opinions on how characters should look. There are valid reasonings for a less glamorous look for characters like Jessica Jones, Doreen Green, and Peter Parker (Ditko vs Romita). Of course these are the exceptions to the usual arguments.

As to Avengers 200, it got a lot of flak for the story, as it should have. It didn't ruin the character for me, but I think it was a major bump in Carol's journey storywise. Certainly, she drifted around in identities and powers after that.

Astonishing Member

Female characters have always been sexualized in comics. "Sex sells".

Short hair Carol is culture.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Why do you think I ignored those points? I ignored point 4 because it's simply before my time, and 2 and 3 because yeah, it's not really relevant. I prefer the long hair, but how she looks won't effect whether I read her books.
    Sorry if it sounded like my post was directed at you, I meant that towards the original post.

I know you wouldn't judge a comic based on appearance from seeing some of your other posts before.
    Baby Thanos

Have you been down to the X-Men board?
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Mighty Member

As said before I think she's an interesting character not just eye candy. And if she doesn't look great that doesn't mean I won't read her. That's not my basis for reading a story or a character. I'm just saying I like the long hair, just my opinion as well as her original Ms. Marvel costume. If you want to point the finger point it at the artist.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Female characters have always been sexualized in comics. "Sex sells".
    Both female and male characters used to be and ought to still look like idealized forms of people. That means good looking and not like any rando in real life.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    As said before I think she's an interesting character not just eye candy. And if she doesn't look great that doesn't mean I won't read her. That's not my basis for reading a story or a character. I'm just saying I like the long hair, just my opinion as well as her original Ms. Marvel costume. If you want to point the finger point it at the artist.
    Give her back the black costume, codename, origin, and secret identity. Also a competent writer who can once again make her likable and exciting.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!