Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dceased 6 spoilers *Superman vs Wonder Woman*

spoilers:
    So in this alternate universe tale, Wonder Woman took on Superman armed with a Kryptonite+Magic sword, chopped his hand off and impaled him.

Superman then one punch kills Wonder Woman.
    end of spoilers

I mean seriously? Why so much disrespect for Diana?

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    spoilers:
    So in this alternate universe tale, Wonder Woman took on Superman armed with a Kryptonite+Magic sword, chopped his hand off and impaled him.

end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I mean I don’t think it was too bad, the point of this final issue was pretty much the survivors just trying to deal with the unstoppable strength of a crazed Superman. Besides in the end no one really stopped him, not Diana, not Jon, and not even the entirety of the Green Lantern Corps (who I feel should have been able to reach into the sun with their rings).

I will say this however, I’m very surprised that Cassie survives at the end. Like they made it a point to show that yes Wondergirl lived to fight another day. Maybe she’ll be in the sequel if there is one.
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

spoilers:
    Oh good, the ol' "Absolutely NO ONE--neither individually nor collectively--can POSSIBLY stop Superman when 'he's not holding back.'

I am so sick of that crap. Screw that noise and screw whoever wrote this trash.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:

end of spoilers

Taylor can’t write a story except in the dumbest way possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    spoilers:
    Oh good, the ol' "Absolutely NO ONE--neither individually nor collectively--can POSSIBLY stop Superman when 'he's not holding back.'

I am so sick of that crap. Screw that noise and screw whoever wrote this trash.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    *No one except Batman. Should hammered the Kryptonite into a Batarang.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Vordan; 10-30-2019 at 06:34 AM.

Wow. Looks like I'm in the minority who liked this issue lol

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I hope I didn’t come across that way, I actually really liked this whole series including this issue.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Nah it’s the other way around lol. I’m in the minority that can’t stand Taylor (except for his Laura Wolverine series that was good). Your enjoyment is the norm for most people, which is why it sold so well.

Fantastic Member

Not a fan of these stories about heroes fighting other heroes!! It's just seems their always coming up with these stories SM vs WW, which I dislike!! WW and SM have always been friends, good friends! In Alt. universes they have been more than friends. I don't get always wanting to pit them against each other!

To be fair, they were still friends here. But Clark was kinda already dead and his corpse was wreaking havok on the planet. This isn't like Civil War or Injustice, where everyone just decides to be jerks and fight each other.

I liked the part where Wonder Woman tore off Cyborg's head.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:

end of spoilers

Jealousy for how much better she does at the box-office.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Jealousy for how much better she does at the box-office.
    That & she's the female version of him & ppl hate that.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I hope I didn’t come across that way, I actually really liked this whole series including this issue.
    Me too! It was the jokes and schmaltz in the midst of all the horror that sold me on it. There was honestly a tear in my eye during Superman's final speech to Jon. Despite the Superman/Wonder Woman fight, I'm just happy the Amazons came off as good as they did and were even remembered and included. Though beaten, near death and zombie-fied great respect was paid to the lasso and Wonder Woman had the most badass scene in the entire event!

So against my better judgement, I actually gave this issue a look. Didn't buy it because I refuse to waste my money on this trash.

Unbelievable.

I have thoughts and if you care, SPOILERS ahead.

Gotta love how they all but explicitly state Diana is the last/best hope of combating Superman just for her to get dropped with one punch. ONE PUNCH.
    That's right, Diana. Know your place. If Superman can't save the world, NO ONE can--certainly not you.

Thanks, DC. Thanks, Tom. So glad to have been reminded (yet again) that, as powerful and skilled Wonder Woman is supposed to be on paper, she's still dirt compared to Superman.

It doesn't even matter what else she'd done in the series until this point. It doesn't matter how 'bad-ass' or competent she'd been portrayed as in the previous five issues. It's all completely invalidated with ONE PUNCH.
    The alleged greatest warrior in the DC Universe with power that's supposed to be on par with Superman and one of the best fighters--armed with a magic Kryptonite sword no less--and she gets jobbed out with with one punch by a mindless berserker Superman.

ONE. PUNCH.

In wrestling, that's called a burial.

But I'll admit, what else could one even expect? From the moment I even heard about this series, I knew nothing good would come of it because all these damn stories are the same and they are NEVER kind to Wonder Woman.

Personally, I don't even understand the appeal of this sub-genre. The "watch every hero die horribly in the most undignified way possible" genre of superhero comics.
    Aside from this, DC's done stuff like it more than once. Marvel apparently loves it--I mean we've seen Thanos brutally slaughter all their heroes at least four times...each more brutal than the last. And that's not counting Marvel Zombies or the various "what if the Hulk went nuts and killed everyone" stories we've seen over the years.

I can see the appeal of transgression, but these stories always just come across as try-hard grim-dark stories created by and catered to edge-lords embarrassed by their own hobby.
    They're like pizza cutters: all edge, no point.

A thing about transgression is, like comedy, it's best when it's punching up. Not down.
    And that's why I find these ugly grim-dark "everybody fails and dies" stories so tiresome when Wonder Woman is involved. Yeah, because she's such an iconic character regarded as one of the 'goody-goody' heroes, it seems transgressive to create a story where she's brutalized and ripped apart and fails miserably.

But here's the problem: if I want to see Diana presented as useless or worse, I need only look at any given DC crossover event (Our Worlds At War, Final Crisis, Flashpoint off the top of my head) I can look at the latest regurgitation of 'The Death of Superman' where she gets crushed by Doomsday for the eighth time. I can pick up a random issue of Justice League.

Honestly, If DC really wanted to blow my mind with their latest dystopian exercise in grim-dark misery and show me something I've never seen before...have Wonder Woman be the last hero standing and maybe--just maybe even--prevail.
    Serious question: how often have we ever seen that? I won't say never, but I guarantee you could count it on one hand.

But we'll never see that. It's not "edgy" enough. So show Wonder Woman fail miserably and get ripped to pieces for Nth time. So dark. So mature.

Hurm. Sorry for ranting, but it felt good to get this out. Anyway, I guess I'll add Tom Taylor to my Wonder Woman black-list now.
    Last edited by Guy_McNichts; 10-31-2019 at 05:49 PM.

One can of course discuss the way the Superman-Wonder Woman battle was portrayed. But the story was, I think, very specifically molded on the same premises as Ragnarök. The old gods—the old guard of superheroes—had to die in order that new gods and a new world could arise.

That's why all of the heroes with legacies had to die. It is why Damian and and Jon played important parts. It is also why the story had to include Cassie Sandsmark as Wonder Girl and have her survive, though Taylor really screwed up his themes by not including her from the start.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])