Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Surely complicating the lives of the main characters is what story telling is all about. The secret identity was always one of those conventions that comic book writers jumped onto, because it gave them a lot to do. They could build stories around the conflicts generated by secret idenities. I don't think any writer sees it as his duty to make the lives of the characters much simpler and happier, free from conflict.

For Superman and Wonder Woman, since they look the same in both identities, it might not be as much a factor--but putting on masks and elaborate costumes is what super-hero comics was always about. If Peter and Tony have no reason to wear full face masks, then why do they bother? The thing that always attracted me to Spider-Man and Iron Man was their masks. Likewise characters like Doctor Fate, Hawkman, the Sandman, Batman. If they don't have secrets that they are covering up--what's the excuse for them transforming themselves so much? Why don't they all just join the police force? It seems to me that when you take away the need for secret identities, you just make it harder to justify the weird choices that the heroes make in how they present themselves in public and how they live their lives.
    Yeah it would be interesting to see how she deals with it. I always thought the moments in the GA when she had to creatively keep her secret were pretty funny. I always wondered how her identity would have evolved if she was allowed to keep it in the first place.

I don’t know I often saw Diana being maybe around the same age as Nessie. That she and Nessie go to Holliday College together and she stays with Nessie

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    For me, the idea is that Diana could interact with people who treat her as a normal person. She doesn't even have to lie to anyone, really, it could even just be a paper-identity. But for her to be able to walk around and not be treated as a celebrity, that's bonus for me.
    There are numerous post-crisis stories doing just that. The secret identity isn't required for these types of stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    There are numerous post-crisis stories doing just that. The secret identity isn't required for these types of stories.
    I'd like to know where they are because I haven't read them. With the exception of Julia, Vanessa and possibly Myndi every new supporting character I can recall post-crisis was aware of Wonder Woman and her reputation in some way.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I don't want Diana a professor - at least not to Etta. I don't want that rank/authority over Etta. Maybe later, once Etta is out of school.
    I like the idea of Diana in academia and while like I said I did consider making her a grad student, another reason I decided against that was because I wanted her to be more on equal standing with Bruce and Clark. Still being in school (even as a grad student) really doesn't do that.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I'd like to know where they are because I haven't read them. With the exception of Julia, Vanessa and possibly Myndi every new supporting character I can recall post-crisis was aware of Wonder Woman and her reputation in some way.
    Being aware of her reputation is not the same thing as treating her as a celebrity. Artemis and Trevor Barnes, just for examples, certainly did not treat Diana with anymore reverence than they would the average person.

Edit: I think the fact that people can't even agree on what type of job Diana Prince should have is telling as to how pointless a secret identity for Diana is.