Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Scans daily has a summary of an interview Brian Michael Bendis gave on Word Balloon. Here's what was said about secret identities.

https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/8564598.html#cutid1

Seems like a good reason for Diana not to have one (not like there aren't plenty of other reasons).
    When it comes to Wonder Woman we're listening to Bendis now? Why should we? Superman fans aren't even happy with Bendis' decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    When it comes to Wonder Woman we're listening to Bendis now? Why should we? Superman fans aren't even happy with Bendis' decision.
    I'm not happy with everything Bendis has done but that doesn't affect the validity of his points. And in this case he's just repeating what other people have said to him about secret identities meaning he is hardly alone in this belief.

I'm not happy with everything Bendis has done but that doesn't affect the validity of his points. And in this case he's just repeating what other people have said to him about secret identities meaning he is hardly alone in this belief.
    So? Fifty percent of the country are wrong in their beliefs, that doesn't make them right. And in this case Bendis is wrong about Superman.

So? Fifty percent of the country are wrong in their beliefs, that doesn't make them right. And in this case Bendis is wrong about Superman.
    How? He's not wrong about Superman lying and he's certainly not wrong about people abusing anonymity to commit horrible acts and get away with it.

How? He's not wrong about Superman lying and he's certainly not wrong about people abusing anonymity to commit horrible acts and get away with it.
    Read the comments from other posters underneath the article. Many of them have valid points concerning Superman and the effect not having another persona will have on his world. There's also a lot about how internet anonymity is ultimately safer for regular people who could lose their jobs or have other dire consequences due to being open online. It's a personal safety issue as much as a means to get away with bad behavior.

Read the comments from other posters underneath the article. Many of them have valid points concerning Superman and the effect not having another persona will have on his world. There's also a lot about how internet anonymity is ultimately safer for regular people who could lose their jobs or have other dire consequences due to being open online. It's a personal safety issue as much as a means to get away with bad behavior.
    I've read those arguments. They refer to stuff like lgbt people staying in the closet to avoid persecution or victims of abuse hiding from their abusers. These do not apply to Superman or Wonder Woman.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-23-2019 at 11:45 PM.

I've read those arguments. They bring refer to stuff lgbt people staying in the closet to avoid persecution or victims of abuse hiding from their abusers. These do not apply to Superman or Wonder Woman.
    No, the intrinsic danger applies to their friends and allies.

No, the intrinsic danger applies to their friends and allies.
    They're in danger by virtue of living in a superhero universe.

I've read those arguments. They refer to stuff like lgbt people staying in the closet to avoid persecution or victims of abuse hiding from their abusers. These do not apply to Superman or Wonder Woman.
    The situation differs, but stories about people with secret identities are very appealing to people with queer identities.

When it comes to secret identities, I don't think there is any real hard and fast answers, and depends on several factors, some intrinsic to the character and some external. And I can really understand people pushing back against the idea of Superman (or Spiderman) going public, because Clark Kent really is integral to Superman's character.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

*cough*wonderwomanthread*cough*

Let's nudge it back from Bendis and Superman and back to Diana, please.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

The secret identity is useful to allow Superman, Spider-Man, and Batman the ability to interact with normal people in a normal setting. From what I understand of “Diana Prince”, that was never really something that applied to her, and stuff like Diana working at a fast food joint doesn’t seem to be the thing that most Wondy fans would be interested in nowadays. I guess the questions is “what would you do with Diana having a SI?” What’s the story? Diana isn’t someone who needs a job, her job as an ambassador compliments her public persona well, and she’s gone for so long without a SI I don’t know if it’s an essential part of her anymore.

She caused more issues without using Diana prince. I’m not saying it should be a SI 100% but something to use every now and than. I mean shouldn’t she get more money other ways? Ambassadors get paid by their country not by other countries. Why not getting money by trademarks? Her using Diana Prince to get away or other things works. She can have a job. It’s just more of what job would work. I often thought a self help coach or defense teacher

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    She caused more issues without using Diana prince.
    Like what?

I mean shouldn’t she get more money other ways?
    Why would she need to?

Ambassadors get paid by their country not by other countries.
    So why does she need another job?

Why not getting money by trademarks?
    Myndi Mayer's death was pretty much the end of Diana trying to use her image to make money.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The secret identity is useful to allow Superman, Spider-Man, and Batman the ability to interact with normal people in a normal setting. From what I understand of “Diana Prince”, that was never really something that applied to her, and stuff like Diana working at a fast food joint doesn’t seem to be the thing that most Wondy fans would be interested in nowadays. I guess the questions is “what would you do with Diana having a SI?” What’s the story? Diana isn’t someone who needs a job, her job as an ambassador compliments her public persona well, and she’s gone for so long without a SI I don’t know if it’s an essential part of her anymore.
    Diana didn't have a secret identity when she worked at Taco Wiz. The Justice League's payment system had a glitch so it withheld her checks and she had no choice. Iirc the money she made with Myndi Mayer was exhausted at that point by the Wonder Woman Foundation's good works.

Diana didn't have a secret identity when she worked at Taco Wiz. The Justice League's payment system had a glitch so it withheld her checks and she had no choice. Iirc the money she made with Myndi Mayer was exhausted at that point by the Wonder Woman Foundation's good works.
    I was just making the point that most WW fans don’t seem interested in having Diana deal with civilian life like how Supes or Spidey do. Most of the complaints I see here are about how Diana doesn’t do more impressive feats, she’s too whiney, mopey, not confident enough. The Secret Identity is good for soap opera drama but that’s not what WW fans seem to want. Diana joining Taco Whiz nowadays would probably cause an even bigger backlash or mockery of DC.