Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Tom DeFalco’s Spider-Girl
    I don't think this holds up....the dialogue is very cringy at times even though the overall stories are pretty damn good.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Tough question, a lot of superhero comics age terribly. I can't think of many series that don't lose something after putting a few years on, topical references become dated, and even something that is largely innovative is likely to be dulled as those features are spread out or even become cliche. I think Spider-Man has had more luck with this than a lot of comics characters/series. There are some surprisingly fun reads going back to the sixties, and it's hard to find a large chunk of consecutive issues that are all bad going through the decades.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

BANNED

Then team up between Dr. Strange and Dr. Doom to save the soul of Doom’s mother. The Tome and Torment it’s called I think.

I'm surprised Claremont's X-Men hasn't been brought up. I wouldn't consider that dated at all (At least the early issues).

Quote Originally Posted by manymade1 View Post
    I'm surprised Claremont's X-Men hasn't been brought up. I wouldn't consider that dated at all (At least the early issues).
    I think most of the kids today would consider it to be overwritten by today's standards.

Quote Originally Posted by gamiz View Post
    was reading the original thunderbolts and loving it
    Same. I've been re-reading them recently too, they've aged soooooo well! Still a brilliant series.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

I recently completed Roger Stern's Avengers run and loved it. I had read parts of it as a kid and it still holds up well. I will soon be re-reading Claremont's Uncanny X-Men post issue 150 to see if its as amazing as I remember.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

X Statix is from the Ultimates mold so to speak, but I don't think the things that make it great really have lost their charm. We've gotten deeper into the reality tv/celebrity/social media hole so it's probably more relevant in some ways.

I think the Spider-Man of Stan, Steve, and John is pretty dated but completely lovable. Same with the Thomas and Everett era Namor.

My age and exposure to the material don't seem to stop me from loving the purple Claremont and Wein X-Men type stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Miller's Daredevil
    This is actually my example of the opposite. For all the people who threw McKenzie under the bus, Miller's stuff was just as dated decades later in my first readings, with the added problem of also being edgy in a way surpassed by later generations. The references, depictions of African Americans, and body language of the characters are far behind what I'd consider in a classic.

O'Neil with his Loves Labors Lost stuff to me has aged better. Hama's Wolverine, Moench's MK and also the Fist of Khonshu hold up well as action comics. The writing of Busiek and the Ennis Punisher stuff don't seem to ever feel dated. And Conan with Thor to a lesser extent seem eternal by design.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Then team up between Dr. Strange and Dr. Doom to save the soul of Doom’s mother. The Tome and Torment it’s called I think.
    I think it is "Triumph and Torment" but, yes, an excellent read.

And "Panther's Rage" from Jungle Action #6 through #18. Always "Panther's Rage."
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'm just now starting McGregor and restarting Priest, they seem pretty solid so far.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Tulku View Post
    I think it is "Triumph and Torment" but, yes, an excellent read.

And "Panther's Rage" from Jungle Action #6 through #18. Always "Panther's Rage."
    McGregor's Panther work was extraordinary and had the long-term storytelling that was actually ahead of its time.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    X Statix is from the Ultimates mold so to speak, but I don't think the things that make it great really have lost their charm. We've gotten deeper into the reality tv/celebrity/social media hole so it's probably more relevant in some ways.
    I definitely appreciated that take on mutants being celebrities, even though it was more for parody.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Felt like listing my favorite 80s runs from various titles:

Amazing Spider-Man - Tom DeFalco

Avengers - Roger Stern

Captain America - Mark Gruenwald

Daredevil - Frank Miller

Fantastic Four - John Byrne

Incredible Hulk - Peter David

Iron Man - Dennis O'Neil

Thor - Walt Simonson

Uncanny X-Men - Chris Claremont
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 11-18-2019 at 10:51 PM.