Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Default Past series that have aged well

I'm really glad I got Marvel Unlimited last year because overall the series I have read on there have been really good.

However, I have noticed that there are older series that are very dated and others that feel like they could have been written recently. I think it has something to do with the amount of popular culture references and how much real life events influenced the stories.

Just as an example, the Sentry series from 2005 has very little references and was very easy for me to enjoy, whereas I just started reading Ultimates from 2002 and it is very much influenced by the time and not necessarily in a good way.

So I'd love to hear what older series you guys would recommend for me to read that are still as interesting today as when they were originally released. Thanks for any suggestions!
    Baby Thanos

Tomb of Dracula is one you should really check out.

90's Generation X
    Slingers
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

All-New Member

was reading the original thunderbolts and loving it

The entirety of Roger Stern's run on The Amazing Spider-Man.

Ka-Zar the Savage (Jones and Anderson stuff)
    Strikeforce Morituri (first 20 issues)

Seriously, these two series need to be checked out by every fan.

Quote Originally Posted by gamiz View Post
    was reading the original thunderbolts and loving it
    Same. I've been re-reading them recently too, they've aged soooooo well! Still a brilliant series.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

I recently completed Roger Stern's Avengers run and loved it. I had read parts of it as a kid and it still holds up well. I will soon be re-reading Claremont's Uncanny X-Men post issue 150 to see if its as amazing as I remember.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    and then you looked at the current albino incarnation of drac and you go 'wtf'.

BANNED

I got the new print first volume of Tomb of Dracula Omnibus. I haven't read it yet, i'm waiting for other volumes. But do they really call Dracula... Drac... in the series ? i mean is this something like spidey ? is he your friendly naigberhood drac ? lol Everyone says it's an amazing series but this drac short name really doesn't suit dracula, if they want to give him a short name, they should have just gone with ''D'' as he reffers to himself as a short name in the novel.

I’m curious to see the responses. I always get people telling me I need to read some story from the 80’s or something. I normally can’t stand pre 2000 comics. I have read some Miller’s Daredevil and it’s pretty decent.

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    Read this and it was pretty good even though I never really got into Blade or vampire stories. Did not come off as dated although the treatment of the main female character was a little bit questionable.

Thanks for the recommendation
    Baby Thanos

Astonishing Member

Tom DeFalco’s Spider-Girl

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Tom DeFalco’s Spider-Girl
    I don't think this holds up....the dialogue is very cringy at times even though the overall stories are pretty damn good.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Tough question, a lot of superhero comics age terribly. I can't think of many series that don't lose something after putting a few years on, topical references become dated, and even something that is largely innovative is likely to be dulled as those features are spread out or even become cliche. I think Spider-Man has had more luck with this than a lot of comics characters/series. There are some surprisingly fun reads going back to the sixties, and it's hard to find a large chunk of consecutive issues that are all bad going through the decades.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.