Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone else think [spoiler] might be a black brain telepath?

After Hickman's latest interview, I have at the back of my mind that Rachel might be revealed to be a back brain telepath. Would that piss people off or would people be okay with it?

And Josué Sarolli (@josuesarolli) asked: This is eating me up: if x2 and x3 are different timelines, how come Cylobel is in both, in a tube?

Jonathan: Okay, so these are actually the same question. And although this is a spoiler and me clearly explaining the story (which I try not to do), I’m giving myself a pass in this case because the plan we started with at the beginning of the project changed during the publishing of it.

So, yes, there was going to be a thousand-year timeline in the back of Powers of X #6 explaining all the cool things that happened in that life. Included in that timeline was going to be the revelation that black brain telepaths are a Nimrod construct and on a long enough Nimrod timeline–where he is locked in a battle with mutantdom–Nimrod always oversees the ‘creation’ of black brain telepaths as a way to infiltrate the ranks of his mutant enemies.

And the kicker here is that they all look completely identical when they manifest (like Cylobel does) but before then they all look different and display different power sets. It’s only when they shed their external skin that a black brain telepath is revealed. So the matching shot in Powers of X #1–where they looked like the same person in a stasis tube but actually weren’t–was built to be deceptive.

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    After Hickman's latest interview, I have at the back of my mind that Rachel might be revealed to be a back brain telepath. Would that piss people off or would people be okay with it?
    I'm not sure how it would work. Just because of the whole phoenix thing. Also we know Rachel played a part with Days of Future Pasts which also happened in life 4.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Far more likely the black brain infiltrators are the Stepford Cuckoos.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I'm not sure how it would work. Just because of the whole phoenix thing. Also we know Rachel played a part with Days of Future Pasts which also happened in life 4.
    The Moira stuff doesn't entirely line up either. I don't think that Hickman is totally bound to continuity.

Fantastic Member

I'd be fine with it. Rachel needs to be unique

I think you missed the part where all the black brain telepaths look the same. That why the Cylobel in life 6 and life 9 look like the same person. Once their powers awaken they look identical. This explanation did not end up making it into the comic issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Wissenschaft View Post
    I think you missed the part where all the black brain telepaths look the same. That why the Cylobel in life 6 and life 9 look like the same person. Once their powers awaken they look identical. This explanation did not end up making it into the comic issues.
    The second part of Hickman's answer said that they only look identical once they are revealed as Black Brain telepaths

"And the kicker here is that they all look completely identical when they manifest (like Cylobel does) but before then they all look different and display different power sets. It’s only when they shed their external skin that a black brain telepath is revealed."

So any potential Black Brain telepaths could look like anyone before their programming kicks in and then they suddenly look like Cylobel

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    The second part of Hickman's answer said that they only look identical once they are revealed as Black Brain telepaths

"And the kicker here is that they all look completely identical when they manifest (like Cylobel does) but before then they all look different and display different power sets. It’s only when they shed their external skin that a black brain telepath is revealed."

So any potential Black Brain telepaths could look like anyone before their programming kicks in and then they suddenly look like Cylobel
    Rachel was admittedly a "Hound", but they had only just started building Nimrods in her world after she broke her conditioning and escaped to the 616. They never progressed to the Black Brain Telepath stage because they won the war completely in the 811 Earth.

A Black Brain Telepath would be like a 10th or 20th generation hound. Rachel is actual the Alpha for the 1st generation of hounds in her world. They used her as test subject #1 for the Hound Program on her Earth.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

I was expecting this to be another theory about Xavier always wearing Cerebro honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I was expecting this to be another theory about Xavier always wearing Cerebro honestly.
    yeah me too.

I still hate that no one ever rescues Cylobel. But I guess that's the point, that the Human/Machine Alliance always inflicts as much suffering as possible on mutants. It's not enough to defeat mutants, there is an element of demoralizing them, and torturing them, and inflicting as much suffering as possible on them. Humans are punishing the mutants for even existing at all.

It doesn't matter that Cylobel is never rescued - she'd be erased when Moira dies anyway, because the timeline resets.

And yeah, Rachel definitely is NOT a black brain.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It doesn't matter that Cylobel is never rescued - she'd be erased when Moira dies anyway, because the timeline resets.

And yeah, Rachel definitely is NOT a black brain.
    I get invested in this part of the X-Men. I think it's hard to keep myself separated from it. I am a lesbian and I grew up in a small town, I got bullied relentlessly at school from Grade 7 to Grade 10. I had a best friend I grew up with, but as we got older we grew apart, well she eventually told her friends I was gay and they told the whole school. In Grade 10 some kids tried to kill me for being gay. My parents moved us to the city because of that incident. I didn't end up in the hospital and the bus driver finally got up and pulled them off me so I just had some bruises on my neck, no charges were laid against anyone. This was back in the late 80's. For the rest of the school year I had to sit on the bus in the seat closest to the bus driver and some of the other kids who were nicer sat beside me so that the bullies would leave me alone on the bus. They would still come at me while at school, try to corner me in different places where teachers couldn't see them.

I didn't tell anyone I was a lesbian when I got to the city school. I just stayed away from people, I was invisible until I graduated and then I moved out of Saskatchewan as fast as I could to a place where I knew there was an LGBT community.

But I find it hard to not be empathetic to characters in stories like this. I feel sad for Cylobel even though she is only a fictional character and it kind of breaks my heart a little that no one is ever able to save her from the endless torture they inflict on her.

People hate for no reason, they hate me just for existing, and even though things are better now, occasionally you still get hate thrown at you. I remember only a couple of months ago walking out of a meeting at the local Pride centre and some a bunch of white guys started shouting at us and calling us a bunch of names and everything else you can probably guess. They were starting to walk toward us, but then more people came out of the meeting and they got scared and ran off like the cowards they are. We didn't do anything to those men, we didn't say anything to them, they just knew that we were LGBT because we walked out of the Pride centre and that was enough for them to throw vitriol and hate at us.

I remember they painted some rainbow flags on the sidewalks for the last Pride parade and people wrote horrible things about how much God hates us and how we are going to burn in hell. They even draw swastikas on some of the murals.

Some of them aren't even religious, they hate because people of minorities because we are all "the other" and for that reason we are to be hated because we are different from they are and no other reason.

I am just a lesbian woman, I am white, and I can pass as a heterosexual woman, but then you have all the people who are visible minorities, you have the transgender men and women who cannot pass as easily, you even have gay men and lesbian women who prefer to be gender binary in their clothing so they don't pass.

The reason that racism in the Marvel Universe is not unrealistic is because I have seen this hate and vitriol myself. It exists, and a lot of people won't even try to step forward to help you when it's happening. They just watch or turn their eyes away and walk away as fast as they can. There was a picture in today's X-Men Week that truly captures what human hate really looks like, this is the picture that truly shows what dealing with racism and bigotry every day of your life can be like.

There but for the grace of god go we all! The Holocaust occurred 80 years ago, and so many other genocides and ethnic cleansing since then. People do not learn from history, they are truly doomed to repeat it. Fascism, racism, and bigotry are on the rise everywhere, and the worst part is they are on the rise in the so called free western nations just as much as anywhere else.

It is not unrealistic what happens to mutants in the comics, because it happens in our world all the time, just most people don't see it!

I am sorry, perhaps I shouldn't have posted this in this thread, I just started rambling and I couldn't stop, I see myself in Cylobel in the comic and that is why the images of what happened to her character kind of haunt me a little after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I get invested in this part of the X-Men. I think it's hard to keep myself separated from it. I am a lesbian and I grew up in a small town, I got bullied relentlessly at school from Grade 7 to Grade 10. I had a best friend I grew up with, but as we got older we grew apart, well she eventually told her friends I was gay and they told the whole school. In Grade 10 some kids tried to kill me for being gay. My parents moved us to the city because of that incident. I didn't end up in the hospital and the bus driver finally got up and pulled them off me so I just had some bruises on my neck, no charges were laid against anyone. This was back in the late 80's. For the rest of the school year I had to sit on the bus in the seat closest to the bus driver and some of the other kids who were nicer sat beside me so that the bullies would leave me alone on the bus. They would still come at me while at school, try to corner me in different places where teachers couldn't see them.

I didn't tell anyone I was a lesbian when I got to the city school. I just stayed away from people, I was invisible until I graduated and then I moved out of Saskatchewan as fast as I could to a place where I knew there was an LGBT community.

But I find it hard to not be empathetic to characters in stories like this. I feel sad for Cylobel even though she is only a fictional character and it kind of breaks my heart a little that no one is ever able to save her from the endless torture they inflict on her.

People hate for no reason, they hate me just for existing, and even though things are better now, occasionally you still get hate thrown at you. I remember only a couple of months ago walking out of a meeting at the local Pride centre and some a bunch of white guys started shouting at us and calling us a bunch of names and everything else you can probably guess. They were starting to walk toward us, but then more people came out of the meeting and they got scared and ran off like the cowards they are. We didn't do anything to those men, we didn't say anything to them, they just knew that we were LGBT because we walked out of the Pride centre and that was enough for them to throw vitriol and hate at us.

I remember they painted some rainbow flags on the sidewalks for the last Pride parade and people wrote horrible things about how much God hates us and how we are going to burn in hell. They even draw swastikas on some of the murals.

Some of them aren't even religious, they hate because people of minorities because we are all "the other" and for that reason we are to be hated because we are different from they are and no other reason.

I am just a lesbian woman, I am white, and I can pass as a heterosexual woman, but then you have all the people who are visible minorities, you have the transgender men and women who cannot pass as easily, you even have gay men and lesbian women who prefer to be gender binary in their clothing so they don't pass.

The reason that racism in the Marvel Universe is not unrealistic is because I have seen this hate and vitriol myself. It exists, and a lot of people won't even try to step forward to help you when it's happening. They just watch or turn their eyes away and walk away as fast as they can. There was a picture in today's X-Men Week that truly captures what human hate really looks like, this is the picture that truly shows what dealing with racism and bigotry every day of your life can be like.

There but for the grace of god go we all! The Holocaust occurred 80 years ago, and so many other genocides and ethnic cleansing since then. People do not learn from history, they are truly doomed to repeat it. Fascism, racism, and bigotry are on the rise everywhere, and the worst part is they are on the rise in the so called free western nations just as much as anywhere else.

It is not unrealistic what happens to mutants in the comics, because it happens in our world all the time, just most people don't see it!

I am sorry, perhaps I shouldn't have posted this in this thread, I just started rambling and I couldn't stop, I see myself in Cylobel in the comic and that is why the images of what happened to her character kind of haunt me a little after the fact.

Screw post rules. Never apologize for posting something like that. We are all humans and we need to read stuff like that. The only negative is that it might be a bit buried here.

It's often said that the comics' anti-mutant stuff is a fantasy counterpart to racism and homophobia in real life. The X-Men's mission of peaceful co-existence is similar to the black equality stuff from the 60s and gay rights stuff you see nowadays. You're right, nobody should come to harm just because they're not a white heterosexual.

Cylobel's sexuality had nothing to do with my earlier comment. I just meant that even if she was rescued, it wasn't going to affect the story, since that entire timeline was wiped out.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Claremont established that Rachel was born before the Sentinels bodied all the heroes and the highest evolution of Sentinels were the Mastermold and not the Nimrod which goes to create the Black Brains so it's gonna take a lot of retconning to make this theory work.
    "Cable was right!"