Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does Bane belong in Arkham?

I just watched Batman vs Ninja Turtles and in it Bane was in Arkham. I never thought Bane was crazy like The Joker, I mean he never had a gimmick like The Riddler Or Penquin. So why did they have him in Arkham. Was this just a cheap way to put him in the story?

What do you all think? Does Bane belong in Arkham? Am I missing something?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Most of Batman's enemies don't belong in Arkham. Bane isn't mentally ill, he's a murderer.

Unlike say, Two Face, who actually has a mental disorder, Bane is just a straight up murderer. He belongs in Blackgate, at the very least. Deathrow, if common sense was had amongst any of the people there.

Arkham isn't just for mentally-ill criminals at this point. I think by now it's supposed to be specifically designed to contain the most dangerous criminals in Gotham even if they aren't crazy.

Like, Croc isn't really crazy (unless you think cannibalism is a sign of a mental disorder), but he goes to Arkham under the impression it can probably hold him better then other prisons.

Arkham isn't just for mentally-ill criminals at this point. I think by now it's supposed to be specifically designed to contain the most dangerous criminals in Gotham even if they aren't crazy.
    Which it is seemingly very bad at.

Always said, Arkham is a failure as both a mental health facility and a prison.

What's funny is that Arthur Brown actually did get cured of his compulsion at Blackgate (I think it was Blackgate) in the 1990s. So it's one up on Arkham. I mean, he was still a criminal, but without the clue-leaving compulsion, but still one up on Arkham. Which has, to be fair, been a torture chamber at times, so that's not saying much.

I think he was originally put in Arkham after getting beaten in Knightfall due to being n a catatonic state, but if we're following the VERY fast and loose rules of mental illness and insanity in the justice system in Batman comics I don't think he should be in Arkham, no. Come to think of it he probably shouldn't be in a US facility at all, considering he's now a foreign head of state?
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Like, Croc isn't really crazy (unless you think cannibalism is a sign of a mental disorder), but he goes to Arkham under the impression it can probably hold him better then other prisons.
    i consider cannibalism a serious mental illness

as fo bane do he belong in arkham no not that hell hole but he do belong in a mental ward where he can sit and talk to therapist and get extensive therapy for all his pent up anger issues and hatered

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

But Croc is just a really strong guy, there's nothing about him that need some kind of special containment. I like the cannibalism-angle better, or even that he's just seen as a straight up monster and shunted off to Arkham without any real thought from the authorities. Plays into him as a somewhat sympathetic outsider.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Wouldn't his fear or obsession with bats classify as a mental disorder of some kind? Or his compulsion to beat the image of his fear and get stronger that led him to Gotham in the first place?

There's a version of his psyche like that but I forget which one.

At the very least, his childhood trauma means he should seek therapy, instead of relying on Psycho-Pirate.

There's a story where he talked to a therapist, I think... both about the bat image and his childhood teddy bear Osito, that shows up in his dreams as a protector. He just dismissed the idea as silly.

I mean he's not criminally insane, but he also has issues.

Just because a person has issues doesnt mean they deserve to go to a mental health asylum. There are tons of people in prison right now who have mental heath disorders but they still go to prison over a mental heath center. I would think that Bane would go to a normal prison.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by redmax99 View Post
    i consider cannibalism a serious mental illness
    According to a recent retcon in Suicide Squad (I think that's were it was brought up) Croc doesn't eat people, that was just a rumor that caught on because of his looks and he decided to run with it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    I think he was originally put in Arkham after getting beaten in Knightfall due to being n a catatonic state, but if we're following the VERY fast and loose rules of mental illness and insanity in the justice system in Batman comics I don't think he should be in Arkham, no. Come to think of it he probably shouldn't be in a US facility at all, considering he's now a foreign head of state?
    I'm pretty sure that Bane was later in Black Gate and broke out from there.

I think back in the 90s and eraly 2000s the writers payed more attention who belonged in Arkham and who in Black Gate. In current comics they seem to mostly ignore Black Gate and dump every body into Arkham.

There are actually a couple of villains, like Riddler, Scare Crow and Penguin that imo don't belong in Arkham. Having a Gimmick or looking strange doesn't make you mentally ill.
    I'm not even sure if the Joker would really count as mentally ill.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Bane was later in Black Gate and broke out from there.

I think back in the 90s and eraly 2000s the writers payed more attention who belonged in Arkham and who in Black Gate. In current comics they seem to mostly ignore Black Gate and dump every body into Arkham.

There are actually a couple of villains, like Riddler, Scare Crow and Penguin that imo don't belong in Arkham. Having a Gimmick or looking strange doesn't make you mentally ill.
    I'm not even sure if the Joker would really count as mentally ill.
    Scarecrow and Riddler definitely does in my book (although I'm sure there are portrayals of them where they don't as well) but I'm 100 % with you on Penguin, I'm always annoyed when he's portrayed as an Arkham inmate (hell, he shouldn't be in prison at all considering he's doing the whole "clean front" thing nowadays). While we're at it, I'm also annoyed when the villains are portrayed as wearing their usual costumes and getups in Arkham, and when their cells are identified by their monikers rather than their actual names.
    As of now:

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    Scarecrow and Riddler definitely does in my book
    Scarecrow is evil scientist an scary suit and Riddler an eccentric thief who send clues to the police, they are not really mental ill, at least not in way that they are not responsible for their actions.

Villains who belong into Arkham are guys like Two Face, Mad Hatter or the Ventriloquist and maybe Zsasz.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Bane isn't insane.