Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What about Diana's apparent super speed during the end part of Wonder Woman, when she blitzed those soldiers? Or, during Justice League, when Flash flicked her sword over to her; her hand seemed fast enough to close around it before we returned to real time. Is this fast enough?

Mighty Member

A Train isn't fast enough to blitz Wonder Woman at all, he is just around as fast or even slower than the things(bullets) she constantly reacts to except we create a mega outlier version of him. Homelander may be a problem but his heat vision is hard countered by her bracelets, yeah i don't see the Seven doing too well, they just lack feats so far.

Although is Wonder Woman in character, that might give them a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by k von doom View Post
    What about Diana's apparent super speed during the end part of Wonder Woman, when she blitzed those soldiers? Or, during Justice League, when Flash flicked her sword over to her; her hand seemed fast enough to close around it before we returned to real time. Is this fast enough?
    If we take A-train literally disappearing and reappearing in crowded spots without being noticed as legit, then no.

Those soldiers had time to do stuff like scream and flail around in real time. Her movement speed is great but it's not on par with her general reflex speed.

Bullets travel at what... Mach 1.5 or something? She treats those pretty trivially so if her opponent was really only barely super sonic she could defend herself but it seems like board consensus is saying his on screen stuff is more impressive then his listed speeds which I tend to agree with.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

A-Train's speed on the show is the opposite of narrative hyperbole. When Paul Jenkins writes that Sentry has the power of a million exploding suns, it's narrative hyperbole because Sentry doesn't have any feats that come close to the power of a million exploding suns. In the Amazon show, characters in the race scene clock A-Train at around Mach 1, but then he has various other feats on the show that are at the speed of light. More likely, the people trying to time A-Train with stopwatches are too slow to react to his actual speed in time to click and get a real run time and therefore accurate speed. And on a meta level, the real problem is that professional writers are usually not all that great at math.

A-Train's performance against Starlight in the finale suggests his top-speed has been massively understated. Of course, we could cite this as nothing more than a temporary powerup and not something A-Train could typically do. However, Wonder Woman's reaction time is nothing to underestimate. When DCEU Flash used his super-speed to give Diana back her sword, her reaction time was aptly demonstrated when she clinched the hilt of her sword. Given Diana's speed, strength, durability, and more esoteric abilities*, I'd give her the edge over A-Train, which, in turn, gives her the edge over the Seven. Though I think Diana spares Starlight and Queen Maeve, and takes them out for ice cream.

* In her fight against Steppenwolf, had Diana tapped into her inner potential there's a chance she would've won. Against Ares, Diana created an AoE field that dissolved Ares's attacks. Hopefully, future films will give her a chance to really cut loose.

Strength wise, Homelander is somewhere between DCEU Shazam and Zod. Diana not only took hits from a reborn Superman, she momentarily stunned him with her counterattacks. I'd rank her above Homelander, at least for now. Though if we were to rely more on inference, I'd air on the side of caution here because there's a reason why A-Train is absolutely terrified of the man.

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    If we take A-train literally disappearing and reappearing in crowded spots without being noticed as legit, then no.

Those soldiers had time to do stuff like scream and flail around in real time. Her movement speed is great but it's not on par with her general reflex speed.

Bullets travel at what... Mach 1.5 or something? She treats those pretty trivially so if her opponent was really only barely super sonic she could defend herself but it seems like board consensus is saying his on screen stuff is more impressive then his listed speeds which I tend to agree with.
    WW1 ammunition, Mach 1.5 ? Possibly. Depends on the cartridge.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Was Starlight actually tossing out lightspeed attacks?
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    WW1 ammunition, Mach 1.5 ? Possibly. Depends on the cartridge.
    I was thinking the AR she blocked in League. Admittedly I dont know the specs on that either. Just a Google search lol
    Last edited by The Arbiter; 10-23-2019 at 03:42 PM.
    - big_adventure

Was Starlight actually tossing out lightspeed attacks?
    She literally shoots out light beams. Only reason she does not spam it is because she does not want to blind everyone around.

In comics all note worthy supes have durability and strength, she prefers using her light stuff because she does not want to wreck people. (While Homelander uses heat vision because he likes killing people without runiing his outfits.)

I was thinking the AR she blocked in League. Admittedly I dont know the specs on that either. Just a Google search lol
    You'd be looking at a couple Mach on average with the .223. 36g (lightest) is 1,140 m/s. Even the heaviest is still around 850 m/s.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    She literally shoots out light beams. Only reason she does not spam it is because she does not want to blind everyone around.

In comics all note worthy supes have durability and strength, she prefers using her light stuff because she does not want to wreck people. (While Homelander uses heat vision because he likes killing people without runiing his outfits.)
    Are they light for sure? They seems more iron Man style concussive Beams than straight lasers.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post

Just to be clear, The Boys comics and the tv adaptation are wildly different in many ways so their feats are not interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    He's DEFINITELY fast enough to blitz very trivially. And with that, he ought to be able to take her sword and filet her with it, if his strength isn't enough on his own to do the trick.

On top of that, Homelander has some pretty serious speed himself, though pretty rarely seen on-screen. He's also been completely unhurt by "every weapon there is" which would seem to include nukes and things that are pretty outside of Wondy's paygrade to deliver.
    None of those immune to high end modern weapons is on screen. Honelander is therefore limited to the best on screen feats, which wouldnt be enough to let him survive WW bisecting him. 1 on 1, I'd say WW kills him.

A-Train is the only reason the boys take this. And only if massively hopped on on Super power boosting steroids is the version we are using. A-Train off the roids had a top speed of one thousand something miles per hour, I think. And no where near the strength during his train pull.

Mighty Member

according to Ian V. Hogg's research, the average german rifle and machine gun in WWI (which would both use essentially the same round) had a muzzle velocity of 2800-2950 feet per second depending on minor variations. I know this one mostly because of my previous WWI research.

I probably have the states for the AR15 buried in my library somewhere. but it's probably only 20% faster. there's a limit to just how fast you can make bullets to small arms. otherwise the recoil would be too much to handle.

Ian V Hogg was one of the top scholars on firearms and artillery in the 20th century. I own a few of his books and they've all been outstanding. you can't even say that they're outdated since most of them focus on historical weapons. his books are probably the best place to go for things like muzzle velocity of weapons for English language readers.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

The problem there is that moving at full control at mach one speeds is WAY WAY WAY too much for a bullet-timer to deal with. Classic Quicksilver, the poster child for mach one speedsters, trivially blitzes Spider Man, for example.

Being able to react to a bullet, and move a body part a few inches in the time said bullet crosses 10 feet or so, isn't close to enough to let you deal with a real live person capable of moving limbs at well over the speed of sound, and who is capable of seeing your much-slower defensive reactions, and just work around them.

A bullet coming towards WW from 10 feet away. She picks it up, and begins to move to deflect it. She does so, moving, even a foot, in the time it takes the bullet to move ten feet.

But the bullet can't react and change course.

A-Train (or any speedster) CAN react and change course. So A-Train runs up, throwing a punch. Diana painfully slowly moves to block it. A-Train laughs, moves around her, grabs her sword, and slices her head off. She's still reacting to the punch at this time, a punch that A-Train simply isn't throwing any more.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan