Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pitch Me: Dastardly Demographics

I haven't done a pitch me in a while, pitch me a story using a character that looks different from you. I don't mean superficially different either, you have to pick a character that appeals to a demographic other than yourself (at least directly). for example, if you are a mid-20s straight cis black male like myself, you can't pitch that demo so John Stewart, Black Lightning, etc are off the table but Kong Kenan, Fuerza, Jaime Reyes, Naomi Mcduffie are still on the table. this came to me when thinking about what exactly is holding DC's characters of color back, I didn't figure it out but I got this nifty idea out of the thought experiment.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Does the character have to be one with an established fan base or can we pitch anyone provided they aren't within our demographic?

Incredible Member

African sergeant rock - im interested to learn why ecomog couldnt even defeat a bunch of crossdressing drugged out kids like the west side boys or rabble like boko haram.

So a man trying to do his duty while those around him sell him down the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Does the character have to be one with an established fan base or can we pitch anyone provided they aren't within our demographic?
    that's a good question, I'll say anyone outside your direct demographic is fair game
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Nabu gives the Helm to Detective Chimp. Chimp uses it to figure out what's wrong with DCU.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Crimson Avenger

Jill Carlyle uses her martial skill and available technology as a contract killer of evil sorcerers. Guided by the ghost Lee Travis, the original Crimson Avenger.

Fire And Ice

Follows Bea da Costa and Tora Olafsdoter on a tour of self reflection across the globe.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-21-2019 at 11:22 AM.

BANNED

I think I'd be able to write and draw a really good Amethyst: Princess of Gemworld series. I think the character has huge potential, but I don't think she's had quite the proper spin on her yet. The character's actually right up my alley, as I dig dreamy portal fantasy. If I was to work on anyone at DC, she'd probably be my top choice. Either her or Superman.

Sentinels of Magic

Following the events of Justice League Dark, magic has become more public to the rest of the world. Demands are made to ensure such things are more properly controlled. To this end, Argus forms a team dedicated to combating against evil magic.

Jill Carlyle

Sandy Hawkins

Witchfire

Man-Bat

Akila

Lilith Clay

Anna Fortune

Sebastian Faust

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I think I'd be able to write and draw a really good Amethyst: Princess of Gemworld series. I think the character has huge potential, but I don't think she's had quite the proper spin on her yet. The character's actually right up my alley, as I dig dreamy portal fantasy. If I was to work on anyone at DC, she'd probably be my top choice. Either her or Superman.

Are any of the Amethyst comics published actually good? I see them all the time in back issue bins.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Are any of the Amethyst comics published actually good?
    Yes, if dated.

Well, I've pitched my ideas for Cyborg before. If Lemonpeace wants I'm fine with him posting those ideas from the Cyborg Appreciation thread (I'll leave it up to my man on whether he wants to or not since it's his thread). If he doesn't want to post them the TL;DR is I'd treat Vic's adventures like Silver Age Superman; he'd travel space, time, other dimensions, and not every story would be about punching a bad guy. As what is essentially a New demi-God he's among the universe's most powerful beings and I'd highlight the hell out of that. A powerful black man in cosmic stories? We don't get enough of those. No more "man or machine?" angst either; Vic has come to terms with his life and views himself as "human+" I'd pull from his NTT history, his JL history, his solo history (what little there is), and take a tiny, tiny, tiny dash of TTGO! too. And then mix it all together to make something that feels like Vic but takes him to newer, grander heights.

I've got some random loose-end ideas (well, vague concepts really) for Amazing Man.....but I haven't tied it all together yet so give me some time on that one.

What I'll pitch is Firestorm. I think there's mountains of potential there but I also think the IP needs a completely new approach. At this point, I kinda wanna wipe the slate clean and start from a new perspective.

Our protagonists are Martin Stein (he's white and straight but real old, which I'm not) and Jeffery "Jax" Jackson; a thirteen year old black kid with a natural talent for mechanic and electrician trades. I'd establish Martin as the head of STAR Labs. Not just one office, but the entire organization. Martin's supposed to be a world-leading scientist but it never feels like it, so I'd make him the guy who approves *allllll* that research around the globe. This would make him (and 'Storm) a bigger deal in the DCU. We'd also explore the generational differences; the reason I made Jax so young is so he can bounce off Martin (who'd I'd establish as being in his 70's, which is older than usual) as much as possible.

Narratives would revolve around bleeding edge physics research and exploring and defining the Firestorm Matrix, which I'd classify as the source of the strong and weak nuclear forces. As fast as technology is evolving, how does that affect us? What threats arise from that? Jax, being a kid, demands that "his half" of Firestorm time be dedicated to fighting crime. Martin uses "his" half of Firestorm time for research and deep dives into the Matrix. So we've got some classic crime busting, some crazy high-fi adventure into strange new worlds, and exploration of cultural development and the pro's and con's of our technological renaissance.

Sort of "Ultimate Spider-Man" in tone, but with a bigger scope.

Definitely a soft reboot, with no signs of Ronnie or Jason anywhere. Those fanbases aren't large enough to keep 'Storm in a solo and their rivalry probably even damages sales. So I'd try to make Jax something of an olive branch to both groups, with elements that appeal to both sides.

Firehawk exists in her "senator" role. She'd be a Republican (not alt-right, just conservative), and would butt heads with Martin over how to use the Matrix.

I can get into more details if anyone gives a damn about them.
    Last edited by Ascended; 10-21-2019 at 06:01 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, I've pitched my ideas for Cyborg before. If Lemonpeace wants I'm fine with him posting those ideas from the Cyborg Appreciation thread (I'll leave it up to my man on whether he wants to or not since it's his thread). If he doesn't want to post them the TL;DR is I'd treat Vic's adventures like Silver Age Superman; he'd travel space, time, other dimensions, and not every story would be about punching a bad guy. As what is essentially a New demi-God he's among the universe's most powerful beings and I'd highlight the hell out of that. A powerful black man in cosmic stories? We don't get enough of those. No more "man or machine?" angst either; Vic has come to terms with his life and views himself as "human+" I'd pull from his NTT history, his JL history, his solo history (what little there is), and take a tiny, tiny, tiny dash of TTGO! too. And then mix it all together to make something that feels like Vic but takes him to newer, grander heights.

I've got some random loose-end ideas (well, vague concepts really) for Amazing Man.....but I haven't tied it all together yet so give me some time on that one.

What I'll pitch is Firestorm. I think there's mountains of potential there but I also think the IP needs a completely new approach. At this point, I kinda wanna wipe the slate clean and start from a new perspective.

Our protagonists are Martin Stein (he's white and straight but real old, which I'm not) and Jeffery "Jax" Jackson; a thirteen year old black kid whose athletic dreams died when he shattered his leg (still walks with a cane/crutch) but is really good at "trade" skills; he's got potential as a mechanic or electrician (that sorta stuff), but isn't a super genius. Likes to read. So a big of a mix between Ronnie and Jason with a little of the CW's Jax in the mix too. I'd establish Martin as the head of STAR Labs. Not just one office, but the entire organization. Martin's supposed to be a world-leading scientist but never feels like it, so I'd make him the guy who approves *allllll* that research around the globe. This would make him (and 'Storm) a bigger deal in the DCU. We'd also explore the generational differences; the reason I made Jax so young is so he can bounce off Martin (who'd I'd establish as being in his 70's, which is older than usual) as much as possible.

Narratives would revolve around bleeding edge physics research and exploring and defining the Firestorm Matrix, which I'd classify as the source of the strong and weak nuclear forces. As fast as technology is evolving, how does that affect us? What threats arise from that? Jax, being a kid, demands that "his half" of Firestorm time be dedicated to fighting crime. Martin uses "his" half of Firestorm time for research and deep dives into the Matrix. So we've got some classic crime busting, some crazy high-fi adventure into strange new worlds, and exploration of cultural development and the pro's and con's of our technological renaissance.

Sort of "Ultimate Spider-Man" in tone, but with a bigger scope.

Definitely a soft reboot, with no signs of Ronnie or Jason anywhere. Those fanbases aren't large enough to keep 'Storm in a solo and their rivalry probably even damages sales. So I'd try to make Jax something of an olive branch to both groups, with elements that appeal to both sides.

Firehawk exists in her "senator" role. She'd be a Republican (not alt-right, just conservative), and would butt heads with Martin over how to use the Matrix.

I can get into more details if anyone gives a damn about them.
    That firestorm Idea... bruh.
    I like firestorm but it irks the **** out of me. "cripple black kid" wants to be a sports star coupled with Mr.Drummond or the old man from "Get out" who needs a youthful body.

I hate it.
    Firestorm has a lot of potential but I don't think the tropes are the way to go about it.

I came here to give a pitch for Paul Kirk manhunter but... that I'm gonna have to step away for second after reading that. geez. Like... stop crippling black guys, metal arms, missing eyes, emasculation,
    lets just not like at all.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    I like firestorm but it irks the **** out of me. "cripple black kid" wants to be a sports star coupled with Mr.Drummond or the old man from "Get out" who needs a youthful body.

I hate it.
    Firestorm has a lot of potential but I don't think the tropes are the way to go about it.

I came here to give a pitch for Paul Kirk manhunter but... that I'm gonna have to step away for second after reading that. geez. Like... stop crippling black guys, metal arms, missing eyes, emasculation,
    Is that a common thing? I thought it was just Vic? Sh*t, sorry man. Apologies! Wasn't my intention to play into stereotypes.

In my defense I just took that idea from the CW. Should've given it a bit of thought, clearly.

Lemme go pull my foot out of my mouth and fix that with a quick edit.

Still leaving the age gap the same though; I feel like that's part of the Firestorm dynamic.
    Last edited by Ascended; 10-21-2019 at 06:06 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It would be more of a one-shot, and a much brighter tone than most stories, I'd imagine.

The story would center around Kate Kane as she tries to learn more about her extended family (namely Bruce's horde) in an effort to know her family better. Both in and out of the costume.

Somewhat inspired by Kate from the show, indicating she and Bruce were close, despite a sizeable age difference, I want to see something similar in the comics.

Because knowing Dick as Robin/Nightwing through news tabloids and only through briefings before spreading out in the city is NOT the same as knowing him as a person. Same with Jason, Babs, Tim, Damian, and Cass (could go either way on Steph).

And I want Jason to call her, "Aunt Kate", if for no other reason than to annoy her a little.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post

I hate it.

There must be some way to save it and turn it into some sort of non pc comedy book sensation.

Mr stein is some sort of machiavellian mastermind who deliberately crippled jax so he has someone to put up shelves and do the garden for him.