Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pitch Me: Dastardly Demographics

I haven't done a pitch me in a while, pitch me a story using a character that looks different from you. I don't mean superficially different either, you have to pick a character that appeals to a demographic other than yourself (at least directly). for example, if you are a mid-20s straight cis black male like myself, you can't pitch that demo so John Stewart, Black Lightning, etc are off the table but Kong Kenan, Fuerza, Jaime Reyes, Naomi Mcduffie are still on the table. this came to me when thinking about what exactly is holding DC's characters of color back, I didn't figure it out but I got this nifty idea out of the thought experiment.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Does the character have to be one with an established fan base or can we pitch anyone provided they aren't within our demographic?

Incredible Member

African sergeant rock - im interested to learn why ecomog couldnt even defeat a bunch of crossdressing drugged out kids like the west side boys or rabble like boko haram.

So a man trying to do his duty while those around him sell him down the river.

Nabu gives the Helm to Detective Chimp. Chimp uses it to figure out what's wrong with DCU.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Crimson Avenger

Jill Carlyle uses her martial skill and available technology as a contract killer of evil sorcerers. Guided by the ghost Lee Travis, the original Crimson Avenger.

Fire And Ice

Follows Bea da Costa and Tora Olafsdoter on a tour of self reflection across the globe.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-21-2019 at 11:22 AM.

BANNED

I think I'd be able to write and draw a really good Amethyst: Princess of Gemworld series. I think the character has huge potential, but I don't think she's had quite the proper spin on her yet. The character's actually right up my alley, as I dig dreamy portal fantasy. If I was to work on anyone at DC, she'd probably be my top choice. Either her or Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Does the character have to be one with an established fan base or can we pitch anyone provided they aren't within our demographic?
    that's a good question, I'll say anyone outside your direct demographic is fair game
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."